Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do to a c5 coupe for NASA ST2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would you do to a c5 coupe for NASA ST2?

Besides cage and coolers, what would you do to a stock c5 coupe in preparation for NASA ST2?
Old 03-10-2007, 07:18 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Cage is the big one.

fire suppression, Race seat, better brake pads, cooling and wheels / tires. That is about it to start.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

check, check, and check to all those....

what about suspension, motor, etc. It seems like the rules are so wide open that you can basically do whatever...so I am looking for ideas on the "whatever."
Old 03-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

actually, another question about the class, can you swap out the motor for ST? For PT there are approved engine swaps, but nothing is stated for ST. So, is it ok to swap the LS1 with a LS6?
Old 03-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
actually, another question about the class, can you swap out the motor for ST? For PT there are approved engine swaps, but nothing is stated for ST. So, is it ok to swap the LS1 with a LS6?

Ryan, you could put a 16 cylinder opposed piston, Faribanks Morris Diesel Engine in there, as long as you equal or stay above 8.7 #'s per horsepower. That's what makes the ST series so much fun.

Here's what the ST rules state:

"7.2 NASA CCR Section 15 and 18 Exceptions
All of the rules listed in the NASA CCR Sections 15 and 18 will apply, except:
CCR 15.6—Roll cages may be built to provide an unlimited amount of chassis stiffening.
Any number of cage mounting points may be used above the six (6) minimum requirement, and, any number of additional tubes may be used above the minimum with additional attachment points to the body, including tubes that penetrate the firewall.
CCR 15.8—An electrical master cut-off switch is required.
CCR 15.9—Steering wheel lock removal is recommended, but not required.
CCR 15.16—An approved suitable racing seat is required.
CCR 18.6—Engine modifications are unlimited.

7.3 Vehicle Modification Restrictions/Limitations
Unless listed below or in Section 7.2, any other performance enhancing modifications arepermitted, provided that the vehicle complies at all times with the minimum “adjusted” weight/power ratio (7.4) for its class.
1) Every vehicle must retain its OEM front clip, floorpan, and subframe. Tube-frame chassis conversion (partial or complete) is not permitted without a waiver from the National ST Director.
2) Aerodynamic modifications are unrestricted, except that a rear wing (or rear spoiler for wagon-style bodies), may not exceed a height of eight (8) inches above the roofline (or OEM windshield height for convertibles).
3) Nitrous Oxide use is prohibited. Pre-existing tanks must be removed.
4) Sequential, Tiptronic-like, paddle shift/semi-automatic, and dog-ring/straight-cut gears (i.e. non-synchromesh) transmissions are permitted, but will be assessed via the “adjusted” weight/power ratio formula regardless of whether they are OEM or not.
5) Tire and wheel size are unlimited, but non-DOT approved tires will be assessed via the “adjusted” weight/power ratio.
6) Up to two hundred and fifty (250) lbs. of added ballast is permitted—All ballast must be of solid material (no fluids or shot pellets) and safely secured in any location on the vehicle approved by NASA safety technical inspectors. The preferred method is to use at least one (1) 3/8-inch grade-5 bolt, two (2) “fender” washers and a locking
nut system for every fifteen (15) pounds of weight.
7) Vehicles may not use any systems from the start of qualifying through the end of post-race inspection that allow adjustment of horsepower levels that would serve to alter Dyno readings."

Full detail rules!
It's pretty simple.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

cool! I thought it was OK, but you never know

btw, thanks for the link. I found that once before, but lately, everyting ST link I have clicked on has put me on the PT page.

Last edited by Oyishdog; 03-10-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:19 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

ST is basically super-unlimited, but with power-to-weight restrictions. I'm attempting to get my car light enough to leave the LS1 as it is (until it blows up). I think I'll be close. Right now I've lost weight by removing the TOP!

Hope to weld most of the cage in later today!

full racing suspension and a few aero pieces will go on next, as money allows. I'm not even doing coolers now, as the sessions are very short.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

David - what are you thinking about for suspension? Most people say to stay away from coil overs since it takes alot of time to dial them in...however, I view this as a hobby + I like tinkering with the car, so I am leaning towards coilovers.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Ryan, add as much lightness as you possibly can.

Get to the 8.7 through trimming weight, it's the cheapest and most reliable way of doing it.

Did you buy something?
Old 03-10-2007, 02:25 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

I'm likely going with Pfadt's coil overs and bars....Aaron and I have been going over some setup ideas. VBP's springs, along with T1 bars and shocks (or a cheap adjustable) are another option. I want some adjustability, and coil-overs is my preference at this point, however, my WC win at Mosport was on VBP springs! Probably the only leaf-sprung Vette to ever win a Pro race.

My problem with the LS1 is that, even if I can get 335hp, then you have to get the weight down to the point where you actually get point modification. In other words, weight becomes of diminshing value as you approach 3000lbs and below.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Falcon
Ryan, add as much lightness as you possibly can.

Get to the 8.7 through trimming weight, it's the cheapest and most reliable way of doing it.

Did you buy something?
Not yet, but working with Joe on something at this point it is a matter of deciding what I want his shop to do versus what I want to do on my own. The phoenix cages are awesome, so that is going to happen, but I am deciding on other items I might want done...that I cannot do myself. Suspension is on the fence since the T1 setup would be great and Joe's guys can set it up real well. But at the same time, I could drop more weight with coilovers and have "fun" setting them up (aka read as, David Farmer HELP! )

I hope to finialize the choice before I leave for Sebring (Tuesday morning).
Old 03-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

My problem with the LS1 is that, even if I can get 335hp, then you have to get the weight down to the point where you actually get point modification. In other words, weight becomes of diminshing value as you approach 3000lbs and below.
That is exactly why I am thinking of the lS6...but $$ could be spent more wisely.

How much weight can you drop by taking out the interior - carpet, passenger seat, panels, stereo/speakers and the AC?

I looked at the pfadt stuff online...I assume the coilovers listed are too soft of springs since they are geared for street and track? The DRM coils look great too.

Get notified of new replies

To What would you do to a c5 coupe for NASA ST2?

Quick Reply: What would you do to a c5 coupe for NASA ST2?