Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CCNEPA Memorial Day at Pocono Event

Old 03-11-2007, 12:49 AM
jlcvt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default CCNEPA Memorial Day at Pocono Event

The Corvette Club of Northeastern Pennsylvania invites you to participate in our Performance Driving School at Pocono International Raceway on Monday May 28, 2007 and Tuesday May 29, 2007.
To run on Tuesday you must run on Monday.

We have a limited amount of openings on Monday, so please register as early as possible. If the event is full, you will be notified, and your name will be put on a waiting list.
This year's school will be an Open Track format. We will be running the 2.5 mile Road Track, in a counter clockwise direction. It is a very challenging track.

We are looking for individuals with track experience to participate in this event. There will be limited openings for novice drivers who will require an instructor. We will provide instructors at the track. First time participants with our club that have experience with other clubs, or on other tracks, will be given a check-off ride with an instructor, before being signed off to solo in the Open Track Sessions. All decisions are final.

The rules for our event, a tech sheet, an application, and waiver are available to download on our club website. Should you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us at one of the numbers on the forms.

ALL CARS ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE A MOUNTED FIRE EXTINGUISER OF A MINIMUM RATING OF "5 BC" Per NCCC rules
(they can be bought at Wal-Mart for $10-$20)

DRIVING SUITS are required for RED GROUP, and are highly recommended for all groups.

NUMBERS are required on both sides of car (4"x 6" or larger). Numbers will be available at the track for $ 1.00 each.

There will be a car show on Sunday May, 27th at the Pocono Manor. There will be of Corvettes plus all types of Exotic cars (including: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, DeTomaso, and Viper). Registration for each car will be $30, but anyone can browse (no entrance fee) and check out the cars.

Download all forms for registration, and Tech sheets here

Last edited by jlcvt; 03-11-2007 at 12:51 AM. Reason: fix problem
Old 03-11-2007, 12:01 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Always a great fast event! Is it in conjuction with the other clubs again? Thanks!
Old 03-11-2007, 09:10 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Always a great fast event! Is it in conjuction with the other clubs again? Thanks!
Yes. I was there last year. What a blast with all those exotics. The car show was cool too.

It was quite amazing seeing how the Corvettes dominated the track against cars costing a Ton more.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:17 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They REQUIRE a Fire extinshuisher with a minimum rating of "5 BC" on ALL CARS!

That leaves me and about 98% of most on this forum out.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:25 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 95jersey

Why, that is what they always required one small extinguisher?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:15 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I went about 3 years ago and did not have an extinguisher. I have never had one, and have never been to a club that has required one.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:03 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I would not go out there without one required or not. If your car has a fire it can't be put out or even knocked back tiil the track guys get there. I really need a fire system but I was going to put another one on the passenger side as they are small. They are cheap in any case and worth how much when you need it?

http://www.thelapd.com/Merchant2/mer...e_Code=thelapd

worth having one even in a passenger car for the street.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-12-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:38 AM
jlcvt
Racer

The fire extinguisher is there for YOUR safety. Yes one reason is to put out any fire in the car, but it is there mainly in case the driver catches fire and he is in the best position to help him self out. An average extinguisher cost about $10.

Our club is a member of NCCC and their rule book requires all cars in any high speed (above 80 mph) event to carry a fire extinguisher.

Probably 98% also don’t do track events that reach speeds in excess of 150 mph.

Last edited by jlcvt; 03-13-2007 at 02:44 AM. Reason: fix problem
Old 03-13-2007, 09:06 AM
sasnglass77
Race Director

I went about 3 years ago and did not have an extinguisher. I have never had one, and have never been to a club that has required one.
Which track events do you run??
Not needing a small piece of safety equipment...I'm almost ready to go back to the sport...I'd like to know which event sponsors don't require them so I can avoid those.

I know SCCA requires them for Solo I.

Hi Joe,
I'm going to try and make it but I'm taking 21 credits that's why I haven't rejoined again. (only 7 more classes til grad school)
Old 03-13-2007, 09:43 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sasnglass77
Which track events do you run??
Not needing a small piece of safety equipment...I'm almost ready to go back to the sport...I'd like to know which event sponsors don't require them so I can avoid those.
OK...let's see: BMW CCA, PCA, PDA, SCDA, SCCA, CART, COM Sports Car Club, Trackmasters, Ferrari Club, Viper Club, Audi Club. I think that is every club on the east coast (and some).

So, it looks like the CCNEPA is the only event you'll be running this year.

Hey, I am not saying it is not a good idea to have saftey equipment, all I am saying is that they are the only club I know that absolutely REQUIRES a fire extinguisher.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:22 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

OK...let's see: BMW CCA, PCA, PDA, SCDA, SCCA, CART, COM Sports Car Club, Trackmasters, Ferrari Club, Viper Club, Audi Club. I think that is every club on the east coast (and some).

Hey, I am not saying it is not a good idea to have saftey equipment, all I am saying is that they are the only club I know that absolutely REQUIRES a fire extinguisher.
You are correct. The Corvette clubs are the only ones that I have ran with that require a fire extinguisher. However I still use mine at every event.

I don't see the big deal about it. It cost about 80-100 bucks to buy a Brey Krause seat mounted bracket and the extinguisher. A small cost compared to an event cost. Plus you have the safety.

I had a pick up that caught on fire once. Fortunately I had a small Halon extinguisher in the glove box that saved my truck. I will add it was a scary feeling having a vehicle on fire.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:53 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

All the talk here of insurance and losses at the track and then to have no EXTINGUISER seems odd to say the least for anyone. Brake break red hot rotor and boom fire! Plenty of things and fluids to burn.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:41 PM
sasnglass77
Race Director

Not quite I have gotten invites to other NCCC clubs. When I ran with the Shelby club in '96 it was required as well.

I did go last season and checked out a CART event at Pocono and I wasn't too thrilled with the way ran it. Made up mind at that event I wouldn't do their events..no big deal.
But I would NOT bad mouth the way they structure their event and try to discourage or speak on the behalf of others. Much like you seem to do whenever this particular event gets mentioned. (I noticed it last year)

I agree 110% with John's observation...there are threads regarding about insurance everytime the season comes around. Maybe I'm old school but don't race what you can't replace. If something happens to your car; you write it off to; "So you want to go racing." (that's why my brother and I have an ITA car...it IS disposable)

When you consider the total loss of your vehicle in those situations (HPDE's) and have the gall to complain and whine about a $20 fire extinguisher that my friend is either insane or I do believe you mentioned you attended the event in the past and decided you didn't like it or had some complaints. Which is it? . I'm betting you are NOT insane.

Last edited by sasnglass77; 03-13-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:45 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I am a little insane (so my wife tells me).

I was thinking about attending this event, as the price is RIGHT! You do have a good memory, as I have had bad experiences here, but I did not regress on the matter. I don't think in ANY of my posts above, did I discourage or speak on behalf of others. I just stated facts that some might not be aware that an extinguisher was manditory and that is unusual compared to other clubs. That is a fact!

I also did run this event without one in the past...so I am wondering if this is a new requirement? Actually many clubs don't want you to have fire extinguishers as they can become projectiles if not securely mounted, and you may stay in a car trying to put out a fire, when you should be standing far away letting the corner workers do their job. It's all perspectives.

You guys are touchy this week.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:28 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

If you mount one on the floor with a $80.00 BK mount I linked above you have little chance of being hit with it IMHO! Doubt anyone will sit long in a burning car with 5 pounder they don't last long!
Old 03-13-2007, 04:57 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Hey if the price is correct $150 + $80 for the everything, that still get me in cheaper than a PDA event, so it isn't that bad.

Now, I just have to convince them to let me run in a group higher than Novice. I think that was why I had fustration last time. I have been running advanced for a while and they didn't want to hear that, just wanted to know my experience with them, not with other clubs. I will call the guy and see if he allows me to run advanced, I will buy the darn extinguisher and go if that is the case
Old 03-13-2007, 08:55 PM
sasnglass77
Race Director

Hey if the price is correct $150 + $80 for the everything, that still get me in cheaper than a PDA event, so it isn't that bad.

Now, I just have to convince them to let me run in a group higher than Novice. I think that was why I had fustration last time. I have been running advanced for a while and they didn't want to hear that, just wanted to know my experience with them, not with other clubs. I will call the guy and see if he allows me to run advanced, I will buy the darn extinguisher and go if that is the case
All you have to do is enter some of the events you ran...they do acknowledge SCCA competition licenses too. If you do come up I'll gladly buy a drink ( Gatorade ) . In my C3 I have mine mounted on the roll bar behind the drivers seat. In the ITA car it is mounted on the passenger side floor.

Sorry I got a little touchy earlier but I was a member in this club and have ran this event from late 80's -early 90's until '98. I, personally always had a great time. I know how much grief the planners go through to arrange the event. Because they are a NCCC club it was mandated several years ago (fire extinguishers) so any NCCC affliated club must abide by their rules and whatnots.

Get notified of new replies

To CCNEPA Memorial Day at Pocono Event

Old 03-13-2007, 09:00 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Arrange to have an instructor sign off to put you in the advanced group.
If you are advanced, no one in their right mind should keep you in the intermediate group.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:11 AM
jlcvt
Racer

Hi Laurie , I took two classes this semester, so between work, school, and club stuff spare time is hard to find. Now I’m just looking forward to May.

Yes the price ($150) is correct. The cost of running this event (track, workers, insurance, ALS, wrecker) goes up every year. We try to keep the price as affordable as possible, so that most people can afford it. We run this event every year because we enjoy driving on the track and taking our cars to limits that you could not get away with on public roads. We open registration to anyone that would like to join us, from the novice to the experienced driver.

I do look over everyone’s application and try to judge their experience level. I am interested in hearing about the experience people have with other organizations, and don’t expect everyone to have track experience with only corvette clubs. If we don’t know someone or they ran with us once a few years ago, we do our best to place them in the appropriate group. The hardest are the people that sign up the day of the event. I personally have taken people out for check off rides that claimed to have a lot of track experience and turned out to need a few sessions of instruction just to get signed off to go solo in white group. I wish everyone’s driving skill were as good as they think they are. Most of the organizations that you mentioned (BMW CCA, PCA, PDA, SCDA, SCCA, CART, COM Sports Car Club, Trackmasters, Ferrari Club, Viper Club, Audi Club.) probably won’t put a driver in their top level just because someone told them he should be in the top group. I know you had a little problem with the fire extinguisher, so I also wanted to point out that the top group (red) also requires a driver’s suit. I’m sorry that you had a problem a few years ago with your placement. I would be glad to talk to you and make sure you get put in the correct group.

This is my forth year running the event and I try to improve on it each year. There are a couple of people that will not be invited back this year, because of their actions last year. I do bring a couple of extra fire extinguishers just in case someone forgets theirs. If anyone has any questions please leave me a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:00 PM
jlcvt
Racer

A couple days left for early registration before the price goes up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CCNEPA Memorial Day at Pocono Event