Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Car to Race Car conversion???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Street Car to Race Car conversion???

I have not finished with my 89 street vette and I am already thinking about what I want to do next. I have found a 84 vette that had been sitting since '95. What I want to do is make a TCC, Open Road race, street car out of this. I need this car as a starting point, the big question is I would love to do this as 1 or 2 yr project or would it be better to buy a car that has already been converted over. I have the ability to make the full cage for it and build the motor, but what have other people done that are in this same situation??

Last edited by Brett Richmond; 03-11-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:27 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Brett Richmond
I have not finished with my 89 street vette and I am already thinking about what I want to do next. I have found a 84 vette that had been sitting since '95. What I want to do is make a TCC, Open Road race, street car out of this. I need this car as a starting point, the big question is I would love to do this as 1 or 2 yr project or would it be better to buy a car that has already been converted over. I have the ability to make the full cage for it and build the motor, but what have other people done that are in this same situation??
Unless you are an accomplished race car builder, I would start with an early C5 that is already a race car then improve on it.

It is easy to underestimate the true cost of building a race car from a street car.

A C5 is a better starting point than a C4 and if you get a car that is already a race car, you will have an even higher starting point.

Thanks
Lou G

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 03-11-2007, 06:40 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

TCC has a real nice primer page
http://www.tccracing.com/gettingstarted.htm

There's a lot of C4's that have already been converted over. Money wise, you better getting a car that's been converted. I think hrocks car is still for sale.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for both of the replies, Lou, you experience has shown through on Forza Motorsporsts and here with all your replies to other questions about racing and chasis set-ups, Brian you have replied to more than one of my question over the years. Just wanted to say Thaks to both of you. This is what I want to have

Old 03-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Brett,
I spoke with Chuck Mallett about that car last Sept, he still has it. FYI he was throwing around the idea of selling it.

Daniel

Get notified of new replies

To Street Car to Race Car conversion???

Quick Reply: Street Car to Race Car conversion???