Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racers - please help us place a value . . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 03:55 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Racers - please help us place a value . . . . .

As some of you know, at the end of last season we blew the motor on a car we were developing for road racing. I was looking for a suitable power plant when several other opportunities presented themselves over the winter. Long-story-made-short: We are contemplating selling the car as a roller (with transmission), allowing the new owner to pick his power.

DETAILS:
* Pristine 1987 chassis, with 70,000 road miles
* ALL suspension and brake components checked for wear or stress
* Body excellent condition
* ALL unnecessary weight removed
* ALL fluids changed to racing grades
* Full welded roll cage, professionally installed
* New Momo racing bucket (HANS compatible)
* New 6-point FIA approved safety harness
* New on-board fire suppression system
* Cut-off switches
* New gel cell battery
* New stainless brake lines all around
* New Doug Rippie brake bias balance
* Hawk “Blue” brake pads all around, with new spare set still in boxes
* Lowered and cambered
* New Carrera QA1 adjustable shocks on all 4 corners. Original Bilsteins as spares.
* 2 complete sets wheels - 9½” x 16” - with mounted Hoosiers (one set brand new)
* Stock manual 4-speed with 3 overdrives - excellent condition
* Dana 44 (heavy duty) LSD rear end
* All motor accessories are still perfect, including TPIS ram intake, new alternator, waterpump, new Breathless underdrive pully system.
* New custom 2½” straight pipes

We were able to achieve formula car-like weight distribution of 25% - 25% - 24% - 26% WITH DRIVER and fuel! Never raced - the motor blew before we had a chance - testing time only.

What’s it worth? Again, we are NOT looking for bids or offers - simply attempting to establish a value at this point. Once we determine a fair value, then we shall decide to sell or keep for now.

All considered opinions are greatly appreciated!

Ed LoPresti
607-535-4237
Old 03-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I'll trade you for my lukewarm beer and a stale Cheeto.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Ed,
How are you doing? I was hoping you wouldn't give up on the Vette to soon. Take a look at this link and then clidk on the For Sale tab http://www.tccracing.com/main.htm . They have an 86 out of PA for $18K with motor and a L98 motor by itself for $12K. There are some phone numbers listed and you might be able to call and talk racer to racer to determine the value of your car.

Bill
Old 03-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Well one of your problems will be that someone who is serious about getting into racing usually wants to choose their own package component by component. They have define ideas about what brands and parts and combinations they want.

for me, In this case the 4+3 pos transmission devalues the package significantly.

as I posted in the other section I'd give 3k for it as it sits - but if it had a real transmission I'd pay 4500 for it!

Carl "learned my tranny lesson long ago" Johansson
Old 03-15-2007, 11:05 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy for gold, sell for tin. Check out this link http://www.gt1da.com/board/index.php?showtopic=3683
Old 03-16-2007, 07:58 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerracing
Buy for gold, sell for tin. Check out this link http://www.gt1da.com/board/index.php?showtopic=3683
Buy for Gold, Build up to Platnium, sell for tin.

What we think our cars are worth and what they actully sell for are two vastly differnt things.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:06 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Put a junk engine in it then sell ... you will get much more $$.

And it is certainly worth more than the $3K offer from Carl. You can do better than that as parts.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Originally Posted by rbl
Put a junk engine in it then sell ... you will get much more $$.

And it is certainly worth more than the $3K offer from Carl. You can do better than that as parts.
Your probably right - how much would you put into it in brakes? what about going to 17 inch wheels? stock springs - would you leave that alone?

BTW it wasn't an offer - I just told him what I would pay. I just bought an 88 - almost all stock, MSD ignition , new carpet kit 58 mm throttle body, new weather proof kit, complete new pioneer sound system etc - with 100K on it- engine trans etc all run excellent. body needs repaint - I got it for 2600 bucks and can sell of alot of the parts to finance the build up - The cars worth whatever someone will pay - find the right guy - it's worth 5K - find me - I'd give 3K for it - because for me to make it like I want - thats gunna be a significant investment!

carl " no it's not lowball - it's what I would pay!" Johansson
Old 03-16-2007, 11:15 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Johansson
Your probably right - how much would you put into it in brakes? what about going to 17 inch wheels? stock springs - would you leave that alone?

BTW it wasn't an offer - I just told him what I would pay. I just bought an 88 - almost all stock, MSD ignition , new carpet kit 58 mm throttle body, new weather proof kit, complete new pioneer sound system etc - with 100K on it- engine trans etc all run excellent. body needs repaint - I got it for 2600 bucks and can sell of alot of the parts to finance the build up - The cars worth whatever someone will pay - find the right guy - it's worth 5K - find me - I'd give 3K for it - because for me to make it like I want - thats gunna be a significant investment!

carl " no it's not lowball - it's what I would pay!" Johansson

But I would pay a little more than 3k for it.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:45 AM
racerwannabe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

i have a full race small block 406 you can get cheap...never cranked...brodix heads..the works...
jhaskell@sealwire.com

Get notified of new replies

To Racers - please help us place a value . . . . .

Quick Reply: Racers - please help us place a value . . . . .