Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Would LT4 Work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default How Would LT4 Work?

I have a few questions about an LT4. I have the oppotunity to purchase a 96 C4 with the LT4 option. I would use this as a track car only. Questions are
1) What weaknesses have you guys noticed with these? It has new Opti, balljoints, and u joints

2) What classes could I compete in (provided I choose to compete in the next year or 2) and run at least mid-pack? I am thinking NASA

3) What mods would you suggest? I know to upgrade brakes and suspension, but what are allowed in NASA to compete? It has a harness barr with 5 point cam locks. Is that enough or go with a cage?

4) Just how competetive do you think the car ( I know I need way more seat time) would be?

TIA
Bob
Old 03-16-2007, 03:36 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

The only problem that I had with mine in 5 years was power steering hoses. It ran 4 years of AX and timetrials without a hiccup.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:44 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer
I have a few questions about an LT4. I have the oppotunity to purchase a 96 C4 with the LT4 option. I would use this as a track car only. Questions are
1) What weaknesses have you guys noticed with these? It has new Opti, balljoints, and u joints

2) What classes could I compete in (provided I choose to compete in the next year or 2) and run at least mid-pack? I am thinking NASA

3) What mods would you suggest? I know to upgrade brakes and suspension, but what are allowed in NASA to compete? It has a harness barr with 5 point cam locks. Is that enough or go with a cage?

4) Just how competetive do you think the car ( I know I need way more seat time) would be?
All the typical stuff that goes bad on other cars will go bad on a C4. The biggest issues is age...the car is 11 years old so there's no doubt a lot of Mx items will need to be brought up to par. Shocks, various seals, fluid changes, radiator, etc. If converting to a true track car, then much/all of that will be addressed.

There are three big C4 downfalls to being competitive IMO....

- Chassis stiffness, or rather lack of. If it's a track only car, a cage would address this and is mandatory to go racing (unless you're just talking TT) anyway.
- Lack of suspension adjustability. It takes modifications to get decent camber, the ride height is not easily adjusted, '96s have the softest springs of any C4 produced (even the "Z51" springs in '96 are soft, basically the same as the base 1995 springs), etc. Like the chassis issues, all can be fixed with time and money.
- Cooling. The C4 needs all the cooling in all the typical areas that it can get if you intend to race it. That means brakes, radiator, ps, etc.

Some other comments...

C4s love to blow the high pressure ps line when pushed hard. DRM sells a replace SS braided line (or you can make one up on your own) and TurnOne will rebuild the pump to address the rpm and heat it sees.

I don't recall NASA having a class for C4s if you intend to go wheel-to-wheel. Someone will jump in and know for sure

Just my opinion....To really go racing it's waaaaaay cheaper in the long run to go buy an already built T1 car like Falcon did.

If you buy one now, no way are you ready to go racing this spring or summer unless you've already reserved time at a shop and can hand them the car, the keys, and the checkbook to make it happen.

Last edited by 96GS#007; 03-16-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:06 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

There's plenty of prepped cars out there. You can get them for a lot less than what it takes to prep them. Put a full cage in whatever you get, not just for safty sake, but it will take care of all the chassis flex.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
All the typical stuff that goes bad on other cars will go bad on a C4. The biggest issues is age...the car is 11 years old so there's no doubt a lot of Mx items will need to be brought up to par. Shocks, various seals, fluid changes, radiator, etc. If converting to a true track car, then much/all of that will be addressed.

There are three big C4 downfalls to being competitive IMO....

- Chassis stiffness, or rather lack of. If it's a track only car, a cage would address this and is mandatory to go racing (unless you're just talking TT) anyway.
- Lack of suspension adjustability. It takes modifications to get decent camber, the ride height is not easily adjusted, '96s have the softest springs of any C4 produced (even the "Z51" springs in '96 are soft, basically the same as the base 1995 springs), etc. Like the chassis issues, all can be fixed with time and money.
- Cooling. The C4 needs all the cooling in all the typical areas that it can get if you intend to race it. That means brakes, radiator, ps, etc.

Some other comments...

C4s love to blow the high pressure ps line when pushed hard. DRM sells a replace SS braided line (or you can make one up on your own) and TurnOne will rebuild the pump to address the rpm and heat it sees.

I don't recall NASA having a class for C4s if you intend to go wheel-to-wheel. Someone will jump in and know for sure

Just my opinion....To really go racing it's waaaaaay cheaper in the long run to go buy an already built T1 car like Falcon did.

If you buy one now, no way are you ready to go racing this spring or summer unless you've already reserved time at a shop and can hand them the car, the keys, and the checkbook to make it happen.
The man knows what he is talking about.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:42 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,034 Posts

One other note...you may want to contact forum member "Umrswimr". IIRC, he's converting a '95 into a track car.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:31 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am working on a track car out of a 96. More details at http://www.mowhineracing.com. I got a C4 because it was half the price of a C5. I'm not sure what they are asking for the LT4, but for $15K you can get higher milage C5, which is better in EVERY way for performance driving. If you can afford a C5, get it, you will be ahead of the game.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:03 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

The power steering line breaking is caused by vibration. Just take a tie wrap and clamp it to the rack in the middle. My brother and I have been racing C4's in SCCA for 10 years now. We used to break those lines all the time. Someone told me this trick years ago. No more problem.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:07 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Biggest problem with LT-4 engines....Opti spark for sure. I can't tell you how many of these things I have broke. MSD has finaly come out with a new cap and rotor that fixed the problem.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:18 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have never blew a PS hose, and never had an opti problem on my LT4

all I really did was get bigger sway bars, and the cheesy brake duct kit from ecklers.

wheel bearings are a problem on any C4 or C5
Old 03-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

I appreciate all the input. Very helpful. The reason I am considering this car is it belongs to a friend of mine that is having financial issues. I would love to be able to do what Falcon did but I am not in a position to do that. I would love to just be able to get a C5 Z06.

I plan on starting out with something like TT maybe next year or the following year. I need a lot, and I do mean a LOT, more seat time before I can think about going competitive. It will not be a full time thing due to my work schedule. Just enough to scratch this annoying itch that has developed.

Also, I love to work on these cars. I think it would be fun ( I know..expensive) to build this over a bit of time. I have more time than money. I also would use this car in my learning process. HPDE's and such.

Thanks Again
Bob
Old 03-17-2007, 03:08 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

That LT4 car will be fine for HPDE as is.

Just do basic track prep stuff, pads, fluids, tires, no reason to go full tilt. Just get your seat time in with it. Better to spend your $$$ on that 1st.

When your ready for door-to-door stuff, either prep it some more or sell it and get something else.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
St. Jude Donor '05

I took my very nearly stock C4 out to MSR yesterday. I posted my results here.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by Umrswimr
I took my very nearly stock C4 out to MSR yesterday. I posted my results here.
Thanks for the write up. Is yours LT1 or LT4? As stated above, the car I am considering has harness bar with harnesses, camber brace and is LT4.

Bob
Old 03-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Thanks for the write up. Is yours LT1 or LT4? As stated above, the car I am considering has harness bar with harnesses, camber brace and is LT4.

Bob
LT1, but you'll notice, most of my problems revolved around the chassis/suspension and not the motor. I was getting outcornered (on R-compounds) by GT3's and C6Z's on street tires.

Get notified of new replies

To How Would LT4 Work?

Quick Reply: How Would LT4 Work?