Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

type of brake pad and heating

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:06 PM
sdz06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default type of brake pad and heating

I have a C5 Z06 that I use for roadracing, and am having heating problems. One front got so hot last weekend that the brake caliper paint turned maroon, and a wheel stud broke off when I removed the wheel!

Of course I'll be putting brake ducts and spindle duct holders on it now, but I was wondering if the type of pad effects heating much. I assume it's just a matter of braking power, and the stickier pads will heat more? I've been using PFC 01's, and before that carbotechs, both with AC Delco rotors. Both have overheated quite easily. I am thinking that the pad depth would effect heat capacity quite a bit also, and this last weekend my pads got pretty thin. Maybe that's why they overheated to that degree?

Any suggestions on pads?

Thanks,

Justin
Old 03-17-2007, 03:13 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Justin

when I used the PFC-01s I got 2 weekends out of a front set and 4-5 weekends out of a rear set. and the same with the rotors.

I now use Wilwood H pads and get 3 to 5 weekends out of the fronts and 7 or so weekends out of the rear set. I have also slighlty changed my braking style. start 50 ft sooning in long fast straights and braking zones

Yes the heat will discolor rotors and the calipers, that is the nature of heat.

When a brake pad is at 50% I change the pad. 50% pad thinkness does not mean there is 50% life left. 50% pad thickness is about 20% pad life remaining.

Some place I found some ceramic coated brake heat sheilds, these seem to help too.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:19 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sdz06
I have a C5 Z06 that I use for roadracing, and am having heating problems. One front got so hot last weekend that the brake caliper paint turned maroon, and a wheel stud broke off when I removed the wheel!

Of course I'll be putting brake ducts and spindle duct holders on it now, but I was wondering if the type of pad effects heating much. I assume it's just a matter of braking power, and the stickier pads will heat more? I've been using PFC 01's, and before that carbotechs, both with AC Delco rotors. Both have overheated quite easily. I am thinking that the pad depth would effect heat capacity quite a bit also, and this last weekend my pads got pretty thin. Maybe that's why they overheated to that degree?

Any suggestions on pads?

Thanks,

Justin
Just maroon?!?! You're not braking hard enough! Mine turn black, but still work very well. Slowing a 3300lb car from 150+ will do that, but you need not worry about the coloring or anything else except fading. The Carbotech XP12s up front and 10s on back won't fade as long as you have decent fluid in there. I was running Motul and had no issues and now am running the Castrol.

Get some DRM brake ducts, Carbotechs and good fluid and you won't have any issues.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:58 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Justin

when I used the PFC-01s I got 2 weekends out of a front set and 4-5 weekends out of a rear set. and the same with the rotors.

I now use Wilwood H pads and get 3 to 5 weekends out of the fronts and 7 or so weekends out of the rear set. I have also slighlty changed my braking style. start 50 ft sooning in long fast straights and braking zones

Yes the heat will discolor rotors and the calipers, that is the nature of heat.

When a brake pad is at 50% I change the pad. 50% pad thinkness does not mean there is 50% life left. 50% pad thickness is about 20% pad life remaining.

Some place I found some ceramic coated brake heat sheilds, these seem to help too.
Wilwood H pads disperse heat more evenly across your rotors. This characteristic has a tendency to crack the "NAPA" rotors quicker than other pads at tracks like Road America where braking is more crucial than other tracks.

Get notified of new replies

To type of brake pad and heating

Quick Reply: type of brake pad and heating