Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SM2 Rules and Tire Size

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:03 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SM2 Rules and Tire Size

for those of you that run or have run sm2, ive got a rules question for you. i am looking into the possibility of running 335 rear tires and am trying to figure out how to best make them fit in a rules compliant way.

first option would be to flare the stock fenders. im sure there are kits and what not out there to add a 3/4" or so flare which should allow a 12-13in. rim with a 335 to fit without sticking out and without hitting the fender under full compression.

second option (and what i would like to do if possible) is to minitub the rear. according to 16.1 I on p.103-104, non-metallic inner fender liners may be modified/removed/replaced so putting in the minitub kit liner or modifying the stock one is legal. then according to 16.1 P, any mod to allow a legal mod is permitted as long as it has no performance gain in its own right. could i interpret this is mean i can cut the fiberglass floor in the rear to allow the minitubbed inner fenders? there would be no weight loss cutting the fiberglass floor would not cause any other performance benefit. anyone have thoughts or experiences with this? tia
Old 03-17-2007, 06:15 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My understanding is no mini tub in SM2. You may flare the fender but you can't replace the entire quarter panel. 335s will fit with a fender flare.

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:36 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by TedDBere
My understanding is no mini tub in SM2. You may flare the fender but you can't replace the entire quarter panel. 335s will fit with a fender flare.

Good luck.
yeah that is what it is sounding like. im trying to get as much info as i can because its a lot easier for me to do the minitub because there is no paint involved and i have access to what i would need to do fiberglass and plastic welding. id also like the decrease in track in the rear for a number of reasons.

will 335s fit in on a smaller rim width without messing with either? ive seen some people say yes but my gut says no.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:07 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
I'm interested in this too. Does this mean that ACP flared fenders aren't allowed because they would require the entire rear quarter panel to be replaced?

will 335s fit in on a smaller rim width without messing with either? ive seen some people say yes but my gut says no.
Even if they will fit, would they be so pinched that not as much of the tread wouldn't actually touch the ground? A smaller size might actually allow more tire contact patch with the ground..... thoughts....

Last edited by MySR71; 03-17-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:23 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Hope this helps:
16.1.I. Hoods (engine covers), front fenders, front & rear facias, and side skirts may be modified or replaced. Fenders may be flared as per Street Prepared. Non-metallic fender liners may be modified, replaced, or removed. Body panels may be attached with removable (e.g. Dzus) fasteners.
The class is in such a state of flux, don't spend $$$ until you get approval from Howard Duncan
Old 03-17-2007, 08:38 PM
0ATI Performance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately the C5 mini-tubs are illegal in SM2. This was specifically discussed on the SMAC and some of us wanted it legal, but were overruled. Stupid in my opinion (but hey I'm a Corvette guy).

As far as modifying/replacing the entire rear fender, the rear fender rule inherits from SP rules, so technially you may only modify the fender outside the wheel hub face (which on a C5 is about 90% of the fender). Could you combine this with the 1lb minor mod rule and replace the whole thing? maybe. Seems it would be up to a protest committee.

Cutting out most of the fender (outside the hub face) and grafting in a flared fender would be legal, but also alot of extra time and money with no resultant weight savings, so it would seem reasonable to just allow the fender to be replaced on a C5. Same result, less money. Seems like a good argument. You should write a letter to seb@scca.com pleading your case.

In any event, I have 335's on 12" wide wheels on a stock body car (ASP trim). They do stick out a little. As long as you limit rear suspension travel on a lowered car, it is ok. This is actually quite common on many ASP and SM2 Corvettes. Or you could just take a sawz-all to the fenders...... (that is also totally legal )

Bob
Old 03-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ATI Performance
Or you could just take a sawz-all to the fenders...... (that is also totally legal )

Bob
Old 03-18-2007, 11:15 AM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Bob for the detailed response.

You have some beautiful cars.

Get notified of new replies

To SM2 Rules and Tire Size

Quick Reply: SM2 Rules and Tire Size