Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T1 sway bar installation help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 03:17 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default T1 sway bar installation help

I have an 02 Z06 with the 04 Z06 shocks. Car is lowered about 20mm on stock bolts. Not completely corner weighted but it is fairly close according to the scales at Roebling Road.

Just got a set of T1 bars with the adjustable end links. I've installed sway bars before that have fixed end links. So I need some help on the installation and adjustment of the end links. I don't have instructions or pictures of them installed.

If someone has pictures of the end links installed that would help?
I'm not 100% positive how the sleeves on the end links line up?
Do I adjust the end links to be just snug with the car sitting flat and someone sitting in the drivers seat?
Do I center the end link on the adjusters or does it matter?

Also I thought I read in a thread that you can actually install these and not get the constant clanking from the heim jointed end links? If so how do I shut them up?

Thanks, Graham
Old 03-18-2007, 03:23 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Just thought about the picture part, duh...

If someone has close up pics can you please email them to:
gjagger at bellsouth dot net

thanks.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:50 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
I have an 02 Z06 with the 04 Z06 shocks. Car is lowered about 20mm on stock bolts. Not completely corner weighted but it is fairly close according to the scales at Roebling Road.

Just got a set of T1 bars with the adjustable end links. I've installed sway bars before that have fixed end links. So I need some help on the installation and adjustment of the end links. I don't have instructions or pictures of them installed.

If someone has pictures of the end links installed that would help?
I'm not 100% positive how the sleeves on the end links line up?
Do I adjust the end links to be just snug with the car sitting flat and someone sitting in the drivers seat?
Do I center the end link on the adjusters or does it matter?

Also I thought I read in a thread that you can actually install these and not get the constant clanking from the heim jointed end links? If so how do I shut them up?

Thanks, Graham
Grahm, I'm having them installed at Phoenix this Wednesday, I'll try to get you a Picture. now as to setup put one end on the adjust the other to neutral with your weight & a full tank, the idea is to not have the bar in a twist when setting on a flat surface (no preload)
Old 03-18-2007, 07:39 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

let me know if the picture did any good. I have 50,000 on mine and no noise or else I'am deaf.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:17 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

OK I got the rear installed tonight. To make the 1st part easier I backed the car up onto small ramps. Pulled the old bar off. When I installed the rear bar I did need a washer behind the mounting brackets on the top and bottom so that the bar would move freely in the bushing. I set the length on each end link to be equal. Aligned them with the holes in the A-arm and adjusted both equally until they lined up with the holes. Took the car off the ramps and had it sitting on the garage floor. Then I did the final adjustment on the end links and tightened them down.

Took the car our for a test drive and there was no noise coming from the bar or links. I put some Mobil 1 bearing grease on the heim joints but I doubt it is doing much. But no clanking. Crawled back under the car and checked the free play. I can turn the end links with my hand and there is no slop in the bar. I don't believe there is any twist or bind in the bar.

I'm doing the front bar tomorrow night. Then I'll drive it for a few days to let everything settle. Then I'll load it with fuel and a passenger to simulate the driver weight. Then make one last adjustment.

I think I'm on the right track.

John - That picture helped show me the angle that the ball joints sit at. Mine are similar. Almost perpendicular to the ground. There is room for the heim on the top and bottom to move. Neither is in a bound position. I was more concerned about how those spacer sleeves go on. But now I have one on I can see why there is a short and long one.

Ernie - Pictures would be great. I need close ups of the end links, spacers and how they look connected to the bar and A-arm. More is better

Thanks. Graham
Old 03-19-2007, 10:08 AM
z060ntrack
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I got the rear installed tonight. To make the 1st part easier I backed the car up onto small ramps. Pulled the old bar off. When I installed the rear bar I did need a washer behind the mounting brackets on the top and bottom so that the bar would move freely in the bushing. I set the length on each end link to be equal. Aligned them with the holes in the A-arm and adjusted both equally until they lined up with the holes. Took the car off the ramps and had it sitting on the garage floor. Then I did the final adjustment on the end links and tightened them down.

Took the car our for a test drive and there was no noise coming from the bar or links. I put some Mobil 1 bearing grease on the heim joints but I doubt it is doing much. But no clanking. Crawled back under the car and checked the free play. I can turn the end links with my hand and there is no slop in the bar. I don't believe there is any twist or bind in the bar.

I'm doing the front bar tomorrow night. Then I'll drive it for a few days to let everything settle. Then I'll load it with fuel and a passenger to simulate the driver weight. Then make one last adjustment.

I think I'm on the right track.

John - That picture helped show me the angle that the ball joints sit at. Mine are similar. Almost perpendicular to the ground. There is room for the heim on the top and bottom to move. Neither is in a bound position. I was more concerned about how those spacer sleeves go on. But now I have one on I can see why there is a short and long one.

Ernie - Pictures would be great. I need close ups of the end links, spacers and how they look connected to the bar and A-arm. More is better

Thanks. Graham
If you're not hearing any rattling once you get the fronts on as well, you probably aren't neutral or no pre load. You need to make final adjustment with either the car setting flat on the floor (after you drive it to let the springs relax) or on a drive on lift. You'll only need to un- bolt one side (if you do passenger rear, then do driver front) and make absolutely sure the bolt goes in and out of the hole with NO restriction what so ever with your comparable weight in the drivers seat and I'd recommend 1/2 tank of fuel.

If you think about it those bars are moving up and down and if there is any kind of bind (caused by pre load) the links won't rattle. You won't hear them all the time due to varying conditons on the road surface, weight transfer, fuel load, luggage or someone setting in the passenger seat but they do rattle if there weighted correctly.

Mine rattled after I got them set up correctly and they rattled after Phoenix setup the car.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:13 PM
kelp
Drifting

The T1 links rattle because they have play in them. How bad. On a lift go and push up and down on the bar and watch the links move. Really sucks. I put the stock links back in. Everything was quiet.

There is so much stress going through the bolts, that I had to double-nut each bolt and put red lock-tite on them to keep them on. Alot of stress now through there.

But nice and quiet now. Still performance.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:34 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

I installed the front tonight. That thing is bear to get in place. Had to use double washers behind the bushing brackets so the bar would still turn freely. The suspension was compressed. Set the links to equal length and got them to go into place with no bind. Once the car settled I can crawl underneath and twist the links around on the spherical bearings with no problems. There is no up and down play though.

Test drive they are quiet. No clanking. I greased them up good with the Mobil 1 Synthetic bearing grease. So maybe the clanking is buffered with the grease and they'll get noisey later.

I'm getting an alignment in a week or so. Once it is on the lift I can get 30 minutes of play time to verify they still move around without binding. I just don't see how there is any preload on them at this point. Then again I'm no suspension engineer either.

Ernie I most definitely want those pictures whenever you get them. Closeups with a couple of angle shots of both front and rear if you can. I need to see the relationship of the top of the bar.

All 4 of my end links are almost perpendicular to the ground.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:27 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Ernie I most definitely want those pictures whenever you get them. Closeups with a couple of angle shots of both front and rear if you can. I need to see the relationship of the top of the bar.

All 4 of my end links are almost perpendicular to the ground.
I'm off to Phoenix tomorrow. I'll take the camera
Old 03-20-2007, 01:11 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

I would revisit using grease as it will attract dirt into the heim joint. I would use a dry film lube.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:08 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
I'm off to Phoenix tomorrow. I'll take the camera
Thanks Ernie. I appreciate it! Take as many pics as you can ... or more ...
Old 03-20-2007, 02:09 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Murf
I would revisit using grease as it will attract dirt into the heim joint. I would use a dry film lube.

Ya know that just dawned on me this morning that the bearing grease would attract all the debris under the car. I'll wipe it off and clean them and then use a dry film lube. Any suggestions?

Get notified of new replies

To T1 sway bar installation help

Quick Reply: T1 sway bar installation help