Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question about helmets

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:04 AM
conversekidz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question about helmets

I have been talking to Valaya motorsports about going on track days. The one thing they said I would need to buy is a helmet.

So this might be a dumb question, but what should I look for in a helmet? is there a brand a should stay away from? Should I go full face or should I go open face?

I figure since its safety gear I don't want to cheap out on it, but from what I have been looking online there is a great deal of cost variance from helmet to helmet.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Miguels
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-19-2007, 12:38 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd go full face, and you really need to try them on, some will fit better and be more comfortable than others. Buy the lightest your budget will allow.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:04 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

full face, SA-2005. From there, try on as many as you can and get on that's comfortable
Old 03-19-2007, 07:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

with Lancer

Do not go to a Motocycle shop and buy a helmet. Even if new Motorcycle helmts dont pass technical inspection for car events.

SA2005 rated helmets can be used when riding motorcycles if need be.

SA2005 helmets are much lighter and stronger then Motorcycle helemts. You want the helmet snug but not tight, and deffintily not loose. Full face with eye shield, not an open face. I have had chuncks of rubber, sand stones, a bird and other hard objects bounce in my drivers side window.

Brands and modles, in no particular order, G-Force ProForce, Bell M2 & M3, Simpson seem to be the most popular. Then Sparco and Arai.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:17 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
with Lancer

Do not go to a Motocycle shop and buy a helmet. Even if new Motorcycle helmts dont pass technical inspection for car events.

SA2005 rated helmets can be used when riding motorcycles if need be.

SA2005 helmets are much lighter and stronger then Motorcycle helemts. You want the helmet snug but not tight, and deffintily not loose. Full face with eye shield, not an open face. I have had chuncks of rubber, sand stones, a bird and other hard objects bounce in my drivers side window.

Brands and modles, in no particular order, G-Force ProForce, Bell M2 & M3, Simpson seem to be the most popular. Then Sparco and Arai.
As others have said, go to a place and try several on. Also keep in mind that some helmets are sized "small, medium, large..." while others are sized "7 1/4, 7 1/2,..." and the sizing from one brand does not necessarily correspond exactly to another.

I personally like my full face Bell. When I was shopping for a new helmet last year I tried a couple Simpson helmets and they just didn't fit right for me. I'm sure others have that problem with Bell.

Aside from safety, if you do a lot of track days you'll find that a lot of rubber turds make their way into the car. A few of those typically find their way to the driver. A full-face protects your face from the impact.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:55 AM
rotgirl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

A brand that I didn't see mentioned, that I bought this year is Pyrotect.

I bought the full face and am very happy with it.

Get one that fits properly! Too tight and you'll get an awful headache.....too loose and it's not going to protect you.

Since I wear contacts, I drive with the shield down to keep dust, etc... from getting in my eyes while I'm running. It gets hot, but I sure don't want to be tearing up in the middle of a run!

I second not buying from a motorcycle shop! I went to several to check sizes and actually found some fakes. I ordered online from Pyrotect directly after I was sure what size I needed.

Good luck and good driving!

rg

Last edited by rotgirl; 03-19-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:58 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

rg that is a good point now that you mention it. I also have been some motocycle shops that had fake or very cheap helmets and had Stickers that said, ' Exceeds SNELL standards." Dont believe it.

Yes Pryotech is another popular and good helmet.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:47 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I found that Bell and Simpson helmets are not sized the same even though the hat size marked on them are the same.

While motorcycle M-rated helmets may work for some autocross events, I would not consider them for track day use. Most people prefer a full-face design but depending on the helmet, some people have problems with limited peripherial vison from that design.

I wear glasses and I like an open face helmet simply because it's easier for me to deal with the glasses (especially prescription sunglasses) when putting the helmet on. While you can get debris tossed into the car and get pelted with the open-face design, I usually run with the driver's window closed.

I had read here a long time ago that you do not want to scrimp on a helmet. There was a comment posted something like: "If you have a $10 head, then buy a $10 helmet".
Old 03-19-2007, 01:02 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
While you can get debris tossed into the car and get pelted with the open-face design, I usually run with the driver's window closed.
If you run any road course event with the BMW CCA, PCA, Audi, NASA, the NCM, etc you have to run with your windows down or you'll be black-flagged. The only time I'm aware of being allowed to run with the windows up is when it's downpouring and it becomes a visibility issue due to water pouring in the car...like this past weekend at Pacific Raceways.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:16 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
If you run any road course event with the BMW CCA, PCA, Audi, NASA, the NCM, etc you have to run with your windows down or you'll be black-flagged. The only time I'm aware of being allowed to run with the windows up is when it's downpouring and it becomes a visibility issue due to water pouring in the car...like this past weekend at Pacific Raceways.
I use and recommend the full face with dark smoke tint shield.
I have never ran with any club/track that let a window up when raining. Had heavy rain at Watkins once, so I put my windows up. Keep getting the window down sign at the back straight. It pissed me off, so I complained later on and was told its a track rule with no exceptions.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:44 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Simpson. I would get a Simpson or a Bell you will spent 300-350 for a nice helmet. Get a head sock to keep it clean and it keep sweat out of your eyes also. I got used to wearing it after a few runs and now I would not go without it. I have two with me and always have one drying after each session.

I pin them to the wing end plate like laundry.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

You do not say if you have an open or closed cockpit car. If you have a roof, you do not need to buy the super expensive helmets that have spoilers built in like the Super Bandit or Speedway models from various manufacturers. If you do have an open car you will need one of those helmets because of the lift that a regular helmet generates at high speeds feels like you are hanging from the ceiling by the helmet strap . Bernouli principle...

I am guessing that your car is closed so buy the mid priced helmet from the manufacturer that makes one that will fit you and has the lowest weight. All helmets are not the same in quality, you may wish to check with an expert. I buy my helmets from Bell motorsports in Oakland Ca, they are the racer outlet for several brands and are really knowledgeable. I am an old guy so I use an open helmet for open track but a closed one for racing. Nothing like having a muffler come off the car in front and go through the windshield and hit you in the mug because you are strapped immobile and can't duck... not to me but I have seen this in HPDE once - broken cheek bones and nose on the pilot - looked mildly uncomfortable...
Old 03-19-2007, 02:02 PM
rotgirl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Good point about open vs. closed faced helmet. I got closed faced 1) for the shield to keep stuff out of my eyes; and 2) because I didn't want to lose my teeth or break my jaw on the steering wheel if I ever got in that bad of a wreck.

rg
Old 03-19-2007, 02:24 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
I use and recommend the full face with dark smoke tint shield.
I have never ran with any club/track that let a window up when raining. Had heavy rain at Watkins once, so I put my windows up. Keep getting the window down sign at the back straight. It pissed me off, so I complained later on and was told its a track rule with no exceptions.
I hear ya. A couple clubs I've run with have been 'round and round with various tracks about this. The tracks maintain it's for safety in order to quickly pull someone from the car. I maintain that if the incident is so bad the driver has to be removed by the safety crew that 1) the window is probably busted out already or 2) if the window is intact that's what the butt-end of the fire extinguisher is for.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:28 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rotgirl
Good point about open vs. closed faced helmet. I got closed faced 1) for the shield to keep stuff out of my eyes; and 2) because I didn't want to lose my teeth or break my jaw on the steering wheel if I ever got in that bad of a wreck.

rg
Yup

A few years ago I was going though a corner in the rain. Slower then normal, and oppps slide right off into a tire wall. The Drivers side mirror folded in and the mirror glass popped out and hit my chin gaurd and bounced over to the passanger side dash intact.

I am quite sure it would have broken my jaw if I did not have a full face helmet.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

I see that Bell has changed their name and now has a snazzy new web site:

http://www.helmetcity.com/

The biggest difference between motorbike helmets and car helmets is the physical size of the shell and amount of energy absorbing material between your skull and the world at large. In a bike accident you typically hit your head on an oblique angle due to forward momentum and you can survive a pretty high speed wreck like they do on MotoGP bikes. The rider usually dies when he hits something immovable , like the fender of that old lady's Buick that popped a u-turn.

In a motorsport crash, you typically have an immediate 90 degree angle impact with the rollcage, the seatback or some other immovable object (Hans or similar restraints can minimize this) so the helmet is a lot stronger and thicker. That is why we never want to use bike helmets on the track.

You may wish, if budget allows, to buy one of the nifty blower helmets that keep your head cool. I really think that those are the greatest , particularily if you plan to run at Willows - ThunderSweat or Buttonwillow - ButtonSauna in the summer...

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie question about helmets

Old 03-26-2007, 12:35 AM
conversekidz
Racer

Thanks for everyones reply, i'll have to see if I can go directly to helmetcity in oakland to try stuff on.

So full face, light as possible (money allowing) and snug, but not to snug.

Something like the Speedway Sidewinder RX by simpson?

Last edited by conversekidz; 03-26-2007 at 12:46 AM. Reason: added helmet picture
Old 03-26-2007, 01:07 AM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

They are experts at fitting you.. the easy rule of thumb is to put the helmet on without doing the strap and bend down to invert your head. If it stays on, it fits...
Old 03-26-2007, 08:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tintin
They are experts at fitting you.. the easy rule of thumb is to put the helmet on without doing the strap and bend down to invert your head. If it stays on, it fits...
Slightly tight when you first put it on is good.

Quick Reply: Newbie question about helmets