Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any C6 DE Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:38 PM
RMcLin
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any C6 DE Tire Recommendations

I DE my 2006 C6 and I have been looking for some decent tires for the track. I tried Michelin Sport Cups which were extremely expensive and their performance was awful. They took forever to warm up, felt greasy, and were not worth the money.

Does anyone know of a good track tire setup that would give decent (4 to 5 DEs) tire wear for stock wheels (18 front 19 rear); or are there any low cost 17 and 18 inch wheels that will clear my Z51 rotors and calipers available? At least with 17 and 18 inch wheels I would have a choice of tires to use. Appearance of track wheels is not important.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:48 PM
blkc6z51
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This looks like a good deal for the price.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1648521
Old 03-19-2007, 04:45 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do 18/18 but 17s won't clear the front brakes on a C6 Z51 car. For DEs you may want to consider "downgrading" to the cheap $28 NAPA rotors, anyway, then the 17s would clear no problem...
Old 03-19-2007, 08:20 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gkmccready
You can do 18/18 but 17s won't clear the front brakes on a C6 Z51 car. For DEs you may want to consider "downgrading" to the cheap $28 NAPA rotors, anyway, then the 17s would clear no problem...
z51's have bigger rotor's so be sure to get the brackets for the stocker rotor if you want to use the NAPAs. Optionally, you can go for broke and get some two-piece replacements from baer/PFC.

As for tires, I run hoosiers, 245 or 275 front's and 295 or 325 rears. Either setup has worked well. I also have camber blocks installed and had LG put on the Z06 brake cooling ducts with a special 2.5 to 3 inch adapter for the brake ducting to the spindles. I'll post some pictures later this week...

Before the hoosiers I ran the KDWs and then mostly the SuperCar tires, I was 4-wheel sliding them around the turns (no trail braking) so I switched to Hoosiers.

I can get approximately 2.5 DEs with the hoosiers before they cord and pop. So getting 2 weekends is good. We drive 4 30minute sessions twice, so four hours total between two days or 8 sessions of 30minutes.

For what I'm doing, I don't mind spending the money on the tires, otherwise I can't drive like I want too.

JK
Old 03-19-2007, 10:58 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jkonkle
z51's have bigger rotor's so be sure to get the brackets for the stocker rotor if you want to use the NAPAs.
Good point. And if you search through my past posts here you'll even find the part numbers. :-)
Old 03-26-2007, 02:12 AM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RMcLin
are there any low cost 17 and 18 inch wheels that will clear my Z51 rotors and calipers available? At least with 17 and 18 inch wheels I would have a choice of tires to use. Appearance of track wheels is not important.
The C6 Z51 brakes will work with a 17" front wheel. I have them on my C5 Z06s using the O.E.M. Z06 wheels. They fit giving barely clearance for the inner wheel weights.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:08 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rudyarias
The C6 Z51 brakes will work with a 17" front wheel. I have them on my C5 Z06s using the O.E.M. Z06 wheels. They fit giving barely clearance for the inner wheel weights.
Very interesting! I'd been told not to even try it... I wonder what other 17s would clear them...
Old 03-26-2007, 10:30 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Very interesting! I'd been told not to even try it... I wonder what other 17s would clear them...
They fit like a glove, at least not on OJ I went with them because I could keep the 17" OEM front wheels for One Lap. I have the 13.4 front rotors and the 12.8 rear rotors. Dispite what has been said on this forum about the "cross drilled" of these rotors. I have had no issue with them at tracks like Road America.

As you can see from this photo taken at CMP using the same rotors from two previous Road America events. As you can see the rotors and calipers do clear and visually look good.

Last edited by rudyarias; 03-27-2007 at 05:50 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Any C6 DE Tire Recommendations

Quick Reply: Any C6 DE Tire Recommendations