Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LPE Oil Cooler Adaptor Users Inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:16 PM
tchapma1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LPE Oil Cooler Adaptor Users Inside

I'm looking to piece together an oil cooler setup for my car, looks like the LPE adaptor is the cheapest one out there. I was wondering what fittings all of you used coming off of the adaptor to get the lines running in the correct location. The picture on their website looks like they run a straight out of the adaptor to go to their cooler. I will be doing a stand alone cooler in front of the radiator. Thanks for any assistance you guys can provide.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:47 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Buy a kit Chappy. I swore I could get it together cheaper as well. I was wrong.

It was a pain getting all the right angles from Earls and it didn't save me any money anyway (actually cost me more since I ruined a fitting). I can't recall what fitting angles I had to purchase, but the instructions I found on CF weren't correct and cost me a punctured oil line....thankfully I didn't slick the track.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:34 PM
tchapma1
Burning Brakes

Looking at prices, it just doesn't make sense to buy a kit... kits are around $650 or so, when you can put your own together for $400-450 depending on cooler used...

How did your line puncture? I assume it contacted something and rubbed a hole in it?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:41 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I thought the kits were $450-$500 when I looked with LPE block. The $600 kits include really pricey adaptor blocks. Most vendors will sell without the block if you ask and you can use the LPE and save the headache.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I have the LPE adaptor block using my Dewitts racing radiator w/ left side integrated oil cooler. Buy the lines as a kit... makes it way easier and nothing to worry about.

Remember AN fitting are finger tight + 1/4 turn, less and they won't seal, more and you can distort the fittings and they'll leak.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:23 PM
tchapma1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BQuicksilver
I thought the kits were $450-$500 when I looked with LPE block. The $600 kits include really pricey adaptor blocks. Most vendors will sell without the block if you ask and you can use the LPE and save the headache.

I'll still need to know which fittings to use on the adaptor end of the lines... the LPE adaptor ports are probably not at the same angles as the other manufacturers... (I assume)
Old 03-19-2007, 04:24 PM
tchapma1
Burning Brakes

Cobra - Which end of your lines did you connect to the adaptor? The straights or the angled ones?
Old 03-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

The angled ones connect to the adapter... lemme see if I can find a pic. The cooler has swivel adapters that mount to it and the straight AN fittings mount to that.

Shows the fitting and line attached

Hard to see, but here's the lines attached to the block
Old 03-19-2007, 08:56 PM
tchapma1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
The angled ones connect to the adapter... lemme see if I can find a pic. The cooler has swivel adapters that mount to it and the straight AN fittings mount to that.

Shows the fitting and line attached

Hard to see, but here's the lines attached to the block
Thanks for the help, any idea what angle those fittings are? 45 degree maybe?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:15 PM
ibjamin
Racer

I sent you a PM. You can find fittings sometimes for cheap on e-bay. For the Lingenfeltner adaptor use a 90 deg and a 60 deg -10an fitting.

George
Old 03-19-2007, 09:25 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Ah yes, now I recall one of the issues I had... I think the brand of fittings matters as well. I can't recall the angles for sure, but I'm pretty confident the Earls 60/90 degree fittings (i think I also purchased 45/60) I used crashed together and came into the header when turned. I run an LPE block as well. I ended up with two types of fittings (one had to be a lower profile unit) to get things straight.

I also had to rewire the oil temp sensor with longer wires.

Buy the kit, if you really do want to piece it together I have an extra 60 degree ano-black fitting here I'd sell cheap.

Last edited by BQuicksilver; 03-19-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:42 PM
ibjamin
Racer

Now that I just looked at my install pics (dewitt's block) a 60 and 90 deg one may get close to each other. Using both 60deg should work but the rear, top one will be going up at a 15deg angle from horizontal then the bottom front one which will be parallel to the ground.

Don't ask me why Lpe put the rear one on a 75 deg angle instead of making it 90.

Here are some pics of my install:

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i6...0oil%20cooler/

George

Get notified of new replies

To LPE Oil Cooler Adaptor Users Inside

Quick Reply: LPE Oil Cooler Adaptor Users Inside