Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to NASA

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:50 AM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default New to NASA

I was thinking about going to a NASA event, but I have zero experience. I have read a lot about it on the forum and website. Is this something worth doing even if I am a novice? If there are topics about this already please give me the links.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2007, 12:09 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very much so, the NASA HPDE program is designed for the novice. I started last year as a complete novice, had never even ran a 1/4 mile or Autox. Its a blast. NASA has you with an instructor in YOUR car in goup 1, down load sessions after each run and time for the instructor to spend one-on-one with you. Also, you can usually talk the instructor into taking you for a ride so you can see what the track looks like at speed and how it actually feels.

I'm sure some one on the board here is in your region and can give you more specifics.

Do it sooner than latter, because you will have a blast
Old 03-20-2007, 12:15 PM
JLMounce
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't hesitate to get on-board with NASA. They're organization is safety oriented and most people will tell you they are not nearly as hard headed as the SCCA.

This is my second season with NASA and it's by far the greatest enthusiest activity I've ever involved myself in.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NASA Southeast (NASA-SE) has a fantastic group of folks and an excellent program. I HIGHLY recommend joining. You'll be amazed at how much you learn after just one weekend. That's the good news...the bad news is that you'll probably be "hooked' and your life will never be the same!!!

As an added benefit, you'll be able to drive some great tracks and the membership includes a free subscription to "Grassroots Motorsports" magazine.

See you on the track!!
Old 03-20-2007, 05:37 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are quite a few of us here on this forum who run and/or instruct for NASA-SE.

Great organization. It is pretty hectic with all the sessions and races - but well worth it.

We were at Road Atlanta last weekend...
Old 03-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Akcelr8 N VA
...the bad news is that you'll probably be "hooked' and your life will never be the same!!!
Very true....happened to me. Got started and hooked on road coursing from another club but NASA allowed me to get into it even deeper with great instruction...and you get to meet a great bunch of folks who share your enthusiasm about cars.

Now the calendar revolves around DE weekends....
Old 03-20-2007, 11:22 PM
DoingOK
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

Started doing my first HPDE last year with Cobra4B (I had an Infiniti G35 Coupe)..........now I have a 500rwhp C6 Z06, new trailer and new CCW C10's with GoodYear slicks. Yeah, it's addicting.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:29 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DoingOK
Started doing my first HPDE last year with Cobra4B (I had an Infiniti G35 Coupe)..........now I have a 500rwhp C6 Z06, new trailer and new CCW C10's with GoodYear slicks. Yeah, it's addicting.
oh my God! good thing you don't do drugs!
Old 03-21-2007, 06:41 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rustyguns
Drugs are cheaper I think - drug addiction only costs you your money, job, family and life....
Old 03-21-2007, 08:53 AM
jpasterjak
Advanced

You know, I was going to mention that your NASA membership includes a Grassroots Motorsports sub, but someone beat me to it. We're glad you see this as a plus. NASA is a great organazation and we're really proud to be on board with them. As a racer, independent of where my paycheck happens to come from, I'd happily recommend NASA membership to anyone interested in this hobby.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
Old 03-21-2007, 12:50 PM
DoingOK
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

I know..........I couldn't afford them with this car habit.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:14 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jpasterjak
You know, I was going to mention that your NASA membership includes a Grassroots Motorsports sub, but someone beat me to it. We're glad you see this as a plus. NASA is a great organazation and we're really proud to be on board with them. As a racer, independent of where my paycheck happens to come from, I'd happily recommend NASA membership to anyone interested in this hobby.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
Grassroots Motorsports sub, : what's that? sub?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:16 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JLMounce
Don't hesitate to get on-board with NASA. They're organization is safety oriented and most people will tell you they are not nearly as hard headed as the SCCA.

This is my second season with NASA and it's by far the greatest enthusiest activity I've ever involved myself in.
hard headed in what way?

I'm kinda hard headed too
Old 03-21-2007, 04:47 PM
jpasterjak
Advanced

Grassroots Motorsports sub, : what's that? sub?

Yes, everyone who joins NASA gets a free GRM submarine. The only part we can't figure out is the screen doors.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
Old 03-21-2007, 05:13 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Yes, everyone who joins NASA gets a free GRM submarine. The only part we can't figure out is the screen doors.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
$40 a year to join NASA; gets you a subscription to Grass Roots Motorsports (GRM) ~ 8 issues a year.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:37 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
Now if GRM and Classic can just sort out there are 2 members at my address (and that kid of mine won't share his copy) - I guess I need to talk to your very pleasant subscription department, again...
Old 03-21-2007, 07:09 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by varkwso
Now if GRM and Classic can just sort out there are 2 members at my address (and that kid of mine won't share his copy) - I guess I need to talk to your very pleasant subscription department, again...
that's too funny! check the mail before your kid does! hahahahah

Get notified of new replies

To New to NASA

Old 03-21-2007, 08:27 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Join, you won't regret it. You will get excellent training and meet a great bunch fun loving and laid back people.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:27 PM
jpasterjak
Advanced

Originally Posted by varkwso
Ah yes, our fatal flaw. Between making the deal with NASA and switching to completely different fulfillment software, we've had out share of screw ups. We're also one of the few magazines in exastance that actually does circulation in house, too (most use fulfillment or data services).

The downside is there's a lot of painful screw ups. Th eupside is whenever you call to have those corrected, you get to talk to someone who actually has the power to solve your problem. Heck, sometimes I get bored and answer the phone, too.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
Old 03-22-2007, 04:14 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Ah yes, our fatal flaw. Between making the deal with NASA and switching to completely different fulfillment software, we've had out share of screw ups. We're also one of the few magazines in exastance that actually does circulation in house, too (most use fulfillment or data services).

The downside is there's a lot of painful screw ups. Th eupside is whenever you call to have those corrected, you get to talk to someone who actually has the power to solve your problem. Heck, sometimes I get bored and answer the phone, too.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
i want your job! boring rules!

Quick Reply: New to NASA