Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setup at Phoenix today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:53 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Default Setup at Phoenix today!

I just got back from having my car setup at Phoenix Racing. (Kurt's crew)

Wow. It was a pure joy to see some one (Brad) pull all (and I do mean all) the settings right where they were supposed to be! Every other place I have ever tried 30 some odd years now you would have to fight and cajole the whole time just to get it close! Not so today My camber, caster and toe are spot on & cross weight is exactly 50% with my weight in the drivers seat!

Wonderful improvement!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:23 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much did it run you? Trying to figure out what the California Corvette markup is. :-)
Old 03-21-2007, 10:41 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
How much did it run you? Trying to figure out what the California Corvette markup is. :-)
That's an interesting question. I just had my ride height, alignment to specs and corner weighting done by a local race shop for $350. It took them about 4 hours with me there supervising the whole show. What do other people pay?
Old 03-21-2007, 10:53 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

For me, if I'm remembering correctly, it was $250 for an alignment. No ride height change, no corner weighting. Subsequent alignments are $110 to my exact specs.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:59 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for taking the pictures and sending them to me Ernie.
That helps a lot! I'll do my final adjustments this weekend after I swap the sleeves around.
Graham
Old 03-22-2007, 01:12 AM
Miguels
Melting Slicks

I paid two fiddy, alignment and corner weighting.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:51 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Kurt, got the end links for me. so mine was a bit more
about $480 for everything.
We had a bit of extra time taking gas out of my tanks as I was told (not by Phoenix) to have a full tank.
They set up with the right tank empty. They also installed the end links so a bit more time was needed.
All in all about 4.5 hrs including test runs to verify that it suited them & me
Old 03-22-2007, 09:06 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait til you see how the car drives now!! The first time I took my car there, I had my doubts as to how it would do on track. That doubt was quickly erased when I saw the lap times. I joked with Joe Aqualante that he brought my old 01 back from the dead! It was lowered way too far which really screwed things up. Once they raised it, cornerweighted it and tuned the engine, it was just a joy to drive - the suspension actually worked as designed!!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:15 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
We had a bit of extra time taking gas out of my tanks as I was told (not by Phoenix) to have a full tank. They set up with the right tank empty.
Okay. I'm confused. I thought there was a pump between the two tanks to try to keep them level? Or at "half tank" has all the fuel been pumped from the right side tank to the left? (As opposed to a 1/4 tank on each side?)
Old 03-22-2007, 01:22 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Okay. I'm confused. I thought there was a pump between the two tanks to try to keep them level? Or at "half tank" has all the fuel been pumped from the right side tank to the left? (As opposed to a 1/4 tank on each side?)
Ok here is the straight scoop!
Electric pump in left tank
jet pump in right tank

fuel flows from the electric to the fuel regulator and from there to the engine, also from the electric to the jet pump which returns to the left tank. Confused yet?
it overflows from the left to the right.
now what this ends up doing is emptying the right tank first. Yep shure would be nice for balance if it took from both........however another consideration is that this way it doesn't starve for fuel in a corner near as fast. My thought would have been the only actual improvement would be to remove from the left first as that also would keep balance better through the entire fuel load as we always have a driver but not always a passenger
Old 03-22-2007, 01:24 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Wait til you see how the car drives now!! The first time I took my car there, I had my doubts as to how it would do on track. That doubt was quickly erased when I saw the lap times. I joked with Joe Aqualante that he brought my old 01 back from the dead! It was lowered way too far which really screwed things up. Once they raised it, cornerweighted it and tuned the engine, it was just a joy to drive - the suspension actually worked as designed!!
I think so too, I'm going to Pocono next month then VIR with the NCM see you then
Old 03-22-2007, 01:34 PM
R Mackow
Racer

When Kurt did my 2000 just prior to doing Pocono north course last year, they set my camber at 1.5deg/1.0deg;frt/rear(wanted something streetable), cross balanced -50/50, and adjusted the ride height. I had lowered it about an inch on the stock bolts and Kurts guys adjusted the rake so it would be simiar to a ZO6. I kept my plastic links because I do lowspeed NCCC autox. Took about 4 hours. I watched and asked alot of questions. learned agood bit. Cost was in the $300 to $350 range.
Prior to alignment they weighed me and weighted the front seat. What surprised me was the big difference in weighting the driver seat vs. not made in camber.

Last edited by R Mackow; 03-22-2007 at 02:01 PM. Reason: additional data
Old 03-22-2007, 01:37 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I just installed T1 bars on my 02 Z06 that has the 04 shocks. It's fairly close balance even though it hasn't been corner weighted, yet. Fairly aggressive alignment for a street/track car.

What differences will I notice going to the T1 bars? Where do I see and take advantage of this setup? Where do I watch out for any negatives from these fatter bars? More prone to understeer or oversteer?

I'll be at VIR in 2 weeks so having some idea how to adjust to the change would nice.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:56 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vms4evr
I just installed T1 bars on my 02 Z06 that has the 04 shocks. It's fairly close balance even though it hasn't been corner weighted, yet. Fairly aggressive alignment for a street/track car.

What differences will I notice going to the T1 bars? Where do I see and take advantage of this setup? Where do I watch out for any negatives from these fatter bars? More prone to understeer or oversteer?

I'll be at VIR in 2 weeks so having some idea how to adjust to the change would nice.
The T1 bars are some of the cheapest speed you can buy!!!! Bolt those on for about $500 and you get about 2 seconds per lap without anything else - they're amazing!

The car will just corner better - not quite as much body roll. You may hear a bit of noise coming from the end links but nothing bad. The T1 bars are heavier, but the results speak for themselves.

Oversteer and/or understeer is a crap shoot because of whatever alignment settings you put on there, tires, pressures, and because it's not properly cornerweighted (yet). I'm guessing you also don't have the T1 springs, control arms, etc. Again, all that plays into how it's going to handle. Overall though, I don't think you'll notice anything out of the ordinary - except for the stopwatch recording lower times!
Old 03-22-2007, 02:15 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good source for T1 bars? The price I've seen online is a bit higher than $500.

Get notified of new replies

To Setup at Phoenix today!

Quick Reply: Setup at Phoenix today!