Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie Rod Ends Dead?

Old 03-23-2007, 12:45 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Tie Rod Ends Dead?

Well, I just took down the cradle for a clutch job and noticed the tie rod boots were all cracked. I presume these were at one time packed grease fittings and brake heat offed them.

Do these need replaced, and is there any danger driving with them in this condition?
Old 03-23-2007, 09:03 AM
01C5fan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably a good idea to replace them. If the boots are gone it's a good bet they're getting loose. Replacements are fairly inexpensive. Wrap the new ones with a thermal barrier (I use header wrap, but there's probably something better). That should help save the boots. Then get an alignment.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:00 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 01C5fan
Probably a good idea to replace them. If the boots are gone it's a good bet they're getting loose. Replacements are fairly inexpensive. Wrap the new ones with a thermal barrier (I use header wrap, but there's probably something better). That should help save the boots. Then get an alignment.
get some from Vette Brakes Products and wrap them. The VBP ones have a fitting as OEM doesn't and VBP ends last way longer also.

http://shielsmasonry.com/spindleductballjointcovers.jpg

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-23-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:55 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Before you spend the $ on new ones check the play. The joint should be smooth in all travel ranges with no sloppyness in or out. Cooked boots do not mean dead joints. VBP has replacement boots for about $7.00 a pair. That is a lot cheaper than repalcing the tie rod ends. I cooked mine and replaced the boots.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:41 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Aren't the boots sealed with grease? If not I can certainly understand cracked open boots not being a big deal, but if they are (were) I'd say just replacing the boot would be tricky...

Get notified of new replies

To Tie Rod Ends Dead?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tie Rod Ends Dead?