Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In car cam: Camera Type

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:07 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Default In car cam: Camera Type

I have heard the Mini Dv is the way to go as far as the camera. I am not trying to be cheap but I am going to pick up a new samsung Mini DV for free. The description is as follows:

Samsung MiniDV Camcorder
160 GM PerQs Product#: 40-1339-00

A small, powerful camcorder to catch life's moments. This go-anywhere MiniDV camcorder is loaded with features. You'll find a high-quality Schneider lens, 34x optical zoom/1200x digital zoom and a 680,000-pixel CCD that shoots at 800 x 600 for superior still images. The vibrant 2.7" LCD displays in a 16:9 aspect ratio for true-to-life images as you remember them. Includes Samsung's exclusive SD/MMC slot for storing images and USB 2.0 Pictbridge™ for easy printing.

These are the Specs: Digital
Recording Format Mini DV
Recording System NTSC
CCD Quantity 1
Memory Still Resolution 0.48 Megapixels
Optical Zoom 30x
CCD
CCD Quantity 1
CCD Pixels 680K pixels
LCD / Viewfinder
Display Type With LCD Panel
LCD Panel Size 2.5 in.
Color Viewfinder With Color Viewfinder
Lens
Optical Zoom 30x
Digital Zoom 1,200x
Filter Diameter 27 mm
Video Modes
Recording Speed SP • LP
Image Stabilizer Digital Image Stabilizer
Audio
Audio Format 12/16 Bit PCM Digital Stereo Audio
Memory Photography
Memory Card Type SD Card • Multimedia Card (MMC)
Digital Still Shot Mode With Still Shot Capability
Memory Still Resolution 0.48 Megapixels
Max Still Image Size 800 x 600
MPEG Movie Mode Resolution 720 x 480
MPEG Movie Mode With MPEG Movie Mode
Interfaces
Output Interfaces S-Video • Audio (RCA) • FireWire / DV / i.Link • USB
Input Interfaces FireWire / DV / iLink
Microphone Type Internal • External/Optional
Power Supply
Battery Type Proprietary Lithium
Battery Life 1.3 Hours
Dimensions
Width 2.09 in.
Depth 4.13 in.
Height 3.66 in.
Weight 0.77 lb.
Warranty
1 Year
Miscellaneous
Included Accessories Software • USB Cable • A/V Cable • Hand Strap • Lithium Propriety Battery • AC Power Adapter • Lens Cap
Release Date 11 January, 2006
MPN SCD363
UPC 36725301382
Product ID 29045847

Keep in mind this will cost me nothing but I could get something else if this is just not going to work well. I am still trying to figure out the mount but I am sure I can find something to work with the rollbar. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Al

P.S Alot of this stuff is greek to me. I would like to transfer these to DVD from time to time. All the input will be well received.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Do you want to use it for in car video? The still picture quality is really low. Also the digital zoom I have found is so poor you will never want to use it. What size storage does it have? It doesn't say! The camera I got came with a 256K storage limit witch only allowed 2 mins (if I remember correctly) of video. I had to get a different memory card, a one gig card, to hold enough to shoot 15 mins of video. My camera has a tripod mount hole in the bottem, I got a camera mount from chasecam.com that fits it very nice.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:25 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Do you want to use it for in car video? The still picture quality is really low. Also the digital zoom I have found is so poor you will never want to use it. What size storage does it have? It doesn't say! The camera I got came with a 256K storage limit witch only allowed 2 mins (if I remember correctly) of video. I had to get a different memory card, a one gig card, to hold enough to shoot 15 mins of video. My camera has a tripod mount hole in the bottem, I got a camera mount from chasecam.com that fits it very nice.
This would be something I use for just in car vid. I dont know what the storage is but getting a 2 gig sd is something I would probably get anyway. I have a digi still cam and wont ever use this for that. I know this looks like a lower line camera but is there anything I should look for specifically for in car?

Thanks,

Al
Old 03-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Not that I can think of other then the bottem screw hole for the tripod mount. My in car suction cup camera mount screwed right into that making it plug and play. Very nice!
Old 03-24-2007, 12:15 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Good deal. I hope more chime in but it sounds like this thing should work well enough.

Al
Old 03-24-2007, 02:46 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

That camera will probably work fine. Make sure it loads from the top so you don't have to dismount it to change a tape. Use 63 min DV tapes on SP and you might want to get a .6 or .7 wide angle adaptor lens. Here's a mount that will work with most harness bars and roll bars.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Old 03-24-2007, 07:48 AM
toolman44092
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Sony mini-DV, and it works fine. All of the in-car video you've seen from me was recorded with it.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:19 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Keep the focus on infinity. If you use the auto focus you will get motion sickness from watching.

So focus on infinity and a wide angle view.

Some times the Digital recordings skip a beat or freeze frame, on a quick corner or movement of the car. Just the way it is.

ALways use new tapes, recodeing over old tapes does not work to well with movement from inside your car.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:45 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by toolman44092
I use a Sony mini-DV, and it works fine. All of the in-car video you've seen from me was recorded with it.
All of your stuff looks pretty good Tim. Do you have the standard lens or did you adapt a wide angle?

Thanks,
Al
Old 03-25-2007, 08:46 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by Last C5
That camera will probably work fine. Make sure it loads from the top so you don't have to dismount it to change a tape. Use 63 min DV tapes on SP and you might want to get a .6 or .7 wide angle adaptor lens. Here's a mount that will work with most harness bars and roll bars.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Thanks that looks like a good option for the roll bar.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:42 PM
toolman44092
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AUTO_X_AL
All of your stuff looks pretty good Tim. Do you have the standard lens or did you adapt a wide angle?

Thanks,
Al
I bought a wide-angle lens and prefer it over the standard lens for the in-car stuff.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:49 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

miniDV is the closest to broadcast quality you can buy (other than the new HD cams). I've got two miniDV cams, and love them. However, in todays world of PSP's and Utube, quality isn't that big of a deal, and often the convenience of the new cameras that record onto flash cards etc make life easier.

I like a mini-DV camera that is low and long, with the lens low, close to the mounting point. Zoom back all the way, or get a wide-angle lense, and focus on the road ahead (infinity can be too far IMHO).
Old 03-26-2007, 02:33 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
miniDV is the closest to broadcast quality you can buy (other than the new HD cams). I've got two miniDV cams, and love them. However, in todays world of PSP's and Utube, quality isn't that big of a deal, and often the convenience of the new cameras that record onto flash cards etc make life easier.

I like a mini-DV camera that is low and long, with the lens low, close to the mounting point. Zoom back all the way, or get a wide-angle lense, and focus on the road ahead (infinity can be too far IMHO).
I ordered the camera now I just need to find a wide angle lens kit for it. Any ideas on this would be helpful. Thanks in advance,

Al
Old 03-26-2007, 02:37 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

for my Sony I went to the sony website and bought wide angle for 30-50 bucks
Old 03-26-2007, 03:34 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's miniDV, storage is not a concern. Storage is on the tapes. The memory cards are for the still pics. THe still pics on that camera are very low resolution so you won't need a large memory card for those. It's probably capable of taking pics good enough for any internet use. Unless it's a very poor transport on the camcorder, tapes will normally not have a problem with the motion of a car. Same with using the tapes over again. I use the same set of tapes for every event and transfer to my computer, edit and make DVD's.

If it's FREE, what's the difference anyway? You'll have nothing to lose to try it.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:05 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one of these in the garage. I used it for many years on my Miata for autox and open lapping. I'd sell it if anyone was interested.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:16 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by TommyBoy72
I have one of these in the garage. I used it for many years on my Miata for autox and open lapping. I'd sell it if anyone was interested.
What are you looking for. Pics would be a plus. And my zip is 48160.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:24 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno, $40 + actual shipping sound fair, shipping should be less than $10. Email me at tom@deathtocones.com and I'll reply back with some pics.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:22 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Found a wide lens and im on my way to cheap in car vid! Now does the above mentioned mount have any sort of shock absorbtion qualities or should i not worry too much about it?

Al

Get notified of new replies

To In car cam: Camera Type

Quick Reply: In car cam: Camera Type