Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR-N ......April 7 & 8..who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:46 PM
GreyGT-C
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VIR-N ......April 7 & 8..who's going?

Doing my first event in the vette (track car is broken) at VIR-N in a coupla weeks.... so, who's gonna be there for me to pick there brains as to how to make the vette faster around the track?

Old 03-27-2007, 06:43 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

VERY slim pickins, but I will be there with Butt Ugly. Look for the birght green C4. Help you any way I can.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:50 AM
GreyGT-C
Racer

sweet... i'll be in the white C5... just look for the erratic driving
Old 03-27-2007, 09:03 AM
dmwhite
Racer

i'll be there in the solo group and doing the TT...feel free to pick my brain but that usually does more harm than good...right, Falcon?
Old 03-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwhite

i'll be there in the solo group and doing the TT...feel free to pick my brain but that usually does more harm than good...right, Falcon?
Yep, I'll attest to that.

You shooting for the THSCC Time Trial record? You have a great chance of getting it.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be there... Black Dodge 3500, White 24ft. enclosed Haulmark and Black 996TT with GT2 Wing.

Mike
Old 03-27-2007, 03:51 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm signed up in solo. I got bumped out of blue into red group. So you hot rods be nice. I only have a bit of experience with passing anywhere... I'll have the Silver Z06 with big X's on the back. That means noob in red group, not hit here!

I learned all my bad habits from Jody and Bill and made the rest up so please don't watch me. I'll spend most of the weekend ducking people like David and Mike.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:13 PM
dmwhite
Racer

Originally Posted by Falcon
You shooting for the THSCC Time Trial record? You have a great chance of getting it.
not sure what the record is, if there is one...just trying to defend my title from last year

edit: i just looked and last year was the first time that thscc had a TT on the north course so i guess i already hold the record, lol...looking at my data from that run, there's definitely some more time there (and my car should be faster this year)

Originally Posted by vms4evr
I only have a bit of experience with passing anywhere.
thscc only allows passing in designated passing zones for all student groups (even solo)...they might give us a few extra passing zones though

Last edited by dmwhite; 03-27-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I'll be there... Black Dodge 3500, White 24ft. enclosed Haulmark and Black 996TT with GT2 Wing.

Mike
I thought the p-car was going to be a garage queen enjoy it!

I wont be on track til May...once the new track car is finished being built
Old 03-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

so quickly things change!

Can't own this car and NOT get on track with it... It's simply an amazing work of art...
Mike
Old 03-27-2007, 09:41 PM
C5 XTC
Pro

Default Vir

I'll be there but cannot give you any advice as this is my first HPDE at VIR. I have run at CMP, Road Atlanta and Putnam. Look me up, Victory Red C6 VA plate C5 XTASY.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:21 PM
GreyGT-C
Racer

well.... this is my 7-8 event at VIR.. have never ran north course before, although it's not MUCH different than full course.

My biggest handicap(s) are that i haven't driven ANYTHING for 2 years (just finished the past 22 months in Iraq) and have only owned the vette for about 3 weeks now. It should be interesting learning to drive all over again in an unfamiliar car!

looking forward to meeting alot of people from here!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:13 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

North is my 2nd favorite layout. Full is obviously the 1st. You'll find it interesting. Just remember at the bridge we turn right, don't keep on going and be the only guy on full course

The uphill into the transition is fun and so are the Stevie Wonders. Then you're at the top of Roller Coaster. So it's not a lot to remember. It does keep you busy and it is fun.

Looking forward to meeting you guys. I'll be in the Silver 02 Z06 with my 4x6 black utility trailer behind it.

Graham
Old 03-28-2007, 06:52 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

North course is a lot more fun than most would tihnk. You still retain all the fun stuff of turns 1-6A, and you get rollercoaster and hogpen before the front straight... And the section that makes the North course cutthrough isn't a bad way to go... Just set up all the way to the left for the transition for the cut-thru just past the bridge. I ran it last year in a rented Miata Specracer after my torquetube gave up the ghost. What I REALLY like about North is it lets you get more laps in and allows you to focus on any parts of that section that might cause you problems in full or grand east configuration.

I've solo'ed a number of times at VIR, but wanted to have an instructor with me since this is my first time driving a porsche ontrack in over a decade, and this particular car is pushing over 510WHP. I'm hoping to get a P-car instructor so I can walk away with a few nuggets of wisdom before heading up to Watkins Glen at the end of June!
Mike
Old 03-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

It is hard to complain about any course at VIR. Even the south is fun! Personally, I would have to say North or Grand East is my favorite...the full is great, dont get me wrong, but the back striaght starts to get a little boring after a while. I enjoy the technical sections of the inside part of the track.

On north course - the turn in after the bridge is key....too soon and you drift wide, too late and you really unsettle the car with the bump. There is a sweet spot that allows the car to drive itself up the hill.

The 2nd word of advice - on the cut through section, manage your throttle input - fast through this section = no brakes, but it also does not mean WOT the entire way! If you can left foot brake (dont try if you dont know how) you can possible stay in the throttle the whole way with a small tap onthe left hander to help turn the car.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:50 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I have lots of video of it... www.tracktapes.com

And it looks like I'll be getting even more...
Old 03-28-2007, 01:58 PM
FB#1
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Will be there Friday night. Looking forward to a great weekend.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

We're Loaded up And heading out in the AM... Hope to see some of you folks there... Jim has garage #12 setup, so come by and hang out for a while... Black 996TT and Black White and gold GT3 w/ JMAC racing graphics on it !!

Mike and Jim!

Get notified of new replies

To VIR-N ......April 7 & 8..who's going?

Quick Reply: VIR-N ......April 7 & 8..who's going?