Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99-00 FRC vs Z06 for track

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:43 AM
LS6Vette02
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 99-00 FRC vs Z06 for track

I know the Z06 would be better for the track stock vs stock, but i've got a dilema. I recently went to Road Atlanta with my 02 Z06 for the first time and now i'm hooked. Even though I bought the car myself my dad won't let me run it on the track anymore because he says it's too nice to beat up, which I agree. So, the only way I can continue going to HPDEs is if I buy a car I don't have to worry about. I'd like to get another Z06, but I can't afford to right now so I am wanting opinions about getting an FRC for the track. What major advantages does the Z06 have over the FRC besides weight, HP, brake cooling vents, LS6, M12? I know I don't have enough track experience right now to see the difference between the two on the track, I just want to make the right choices before hand.

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 03-27-2007, 08:10 AM
01C5fan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome Kyle. Probably the most cost effective way to go is to run the '02 Z06. No matter what you end up spending in maintenance, it will be less than what you'll spend on a dedicated track car. The only possible exception to that is if you decide to start modding the car, then you'll end up with a street car that's not a lot of fun to drive on the street. Unfortunately, tracking a car on a regular basis isn't cheap. You'll go through tires, brakes and fluids pretty quickly. Assuming you're doing the easy maintenance yourself, be prepared to spend a fair amount of time under the car. The big advantage of a dedicated track car is that you can do all the popular mods without affecting your daily drive. Either way, have a great time. Best of luck.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:33 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Greetings, Kyle!

The real advantages the Z06 has over the FRC is really just the LS-6/MN-12 powertrain. Everything else is very close.

I autocross (and occasionally DE) my '00 FRC, and have had to do nothing other than pads, fluids, and tires, plus general maintenance. I did add an external engine oil cooler to keep temps under control, but other than that she's basically stock.

Paint will get chipped, esp. DEs where you run with other cars. I protect my car with clear Wal Mart shelf paper; it does a pretty good job of protecting the paint.

Also, "beating" on your car is totally under your control. DEs are all about *fun* and learning how to drive. You don't have to drive 10/10ths on the track (in fact, I never do at a DE, autocross is something else!).

Another way to keep wear and tear down on your car is to run only street tires. This will make the tires the "safety valve", forcing you to drive to their limits, as opposed to running stickier tires, which will then allow you to run harder, until you find the next limiter, usually brakes.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

I faced a similardilemma, although under slightly different circumstances. I went with an FRC.

There are a number of post in this section about the differences between an FRC versus a Z06. If you really are into HPDEs, most would agree that the FRC makes more sense. The reason being that almost all the advantages that the Z06 has over the FRC can be equaled or exceeded by proper modding of the FRC.

On the race track, tire and suspension mods are more important than HP. HP or more power is the last thing to do. The first thing to do is learn how to drive which is all about seat time.

The FRC is a less expensive than a Z06, and you can use the extra $$ to mod the car and come out with a Z06 killer.

The weight advantage that the Z06 enjoys is largely due to the Ti exhaust and use of non-EMT(extended mobility) tires. Very easy to remedy. For around $2,500 you can get some Pfadt coilovers and anti-rollbars which will make your car really handle, and is much better than the stock Z06 suspension.

In terms of transmissions, the FRC transmission is actually stronger than the Z06s and many think the gear ratios are better for road racing.

The brakes are the same.

If you are patient you can probably pick up a nice FRC for between 18-22K, and I do mean nice.

I recently picked up a 99 FRC for a little over $23K. Only had 37K miles and it was Nassau Blue, which is a pretty rare color. Only 202 were made in 1999. Believe it or not bought it at CARMAX.

Here is a pick.

Good luck
Old 03-27-2007, 10:14 AM
LS6Vette02
Racer

Thanks for the replies guys. I figured the Z06 would be more cost effective way now, but I just don't want to start racking up the miles, chip it up, etc. If I get a FRC it will also be my daily driver so I won't be modding it outside of tires, brakes, basic stuff. My goal is to become a better driver instead of seeing how fast I can go around the track. Going this route though i'd be looking for a FRC for no more than 15k, something with high mileage and probobly pretty rough cosmetically. As long as it has been mechanically cared for.

Kyle
Old 03-27-2007, 03:22 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6Vette02
..... I just want to make the right choices before hand.

Thanks,
Kyle
Hey Kyle - I spoke to you for a few moments at Road Atlanta. DEs will chew up the paint and windshield on your car. It will take a while to get the max out of an FRC or any other base C5 so they are not a bad way to go. I currently have a 02 ZO6 and 99 FRC...
Old 03-27-2007, 03:25 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

The MN6 is actually the better road-racing trans, as the ratios are closer in all but 5th gear. And a stock-powerd Vette doesn't need 5th, except at very long tracks like Daytona or Rd America.

the early C5's have weak rod bolts, so I'm upgrading mine (as well as a better timing chain), but an FRC will be absolutely fine on track. If you need the extra 45hp, you can easily find it with a little mo' money.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
The MN6 is actually the better road-racing trans, as the ratios are closer in all but 5th gear. And a stock-powerd Vette doesn't need 5th, except at very long tracks like Daytona or Rd America.
Does Mid-Ohio (backstretch) or Road Atlanta (backstrech) either require 5th in a basically stock C5/C6?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:38 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Many advantages to the LS6 as a motor. Likes mods much better, greater HP is easily obtained down the road for same cost as LS1. Also, resale is better, so your not losing out in the end.

Z06 has stiffer springs, bigger sways off the showroom.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:44 PM
LS6Vette02
Racer

Originally Posted by varkwso
Hey Kyle - I spoke to you for a few moments at Road Atlanta. DEs will chew up the paint and windshield on your car. It will take a while to get the max out of an FRC or any other base C5 so they are not a bad way to go. I currently have a 02 ZO6 and 99 FRC...
Yeah I remember you talking about the FRC, that's what got my interest in one for the track. You ran the time trials with the FRC right?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
Does Mid-Ohio (backstretch) or Road Atlanta (backstrech) either require 5th in a basically stock C5/C6?
No. At least for a stock C5 Z06.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:47 PM
LS6Vette02
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
I was getting toward the end of 4th at RA in HPDE1 so with a more experienced driver you could get there im sure. Could be wrong though.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

the early C5's have weak rod bolts, so I'm upgrading mine (as well as a better timing chain), but an FRC will be absolutely fine on track. If you need the extra 45hp, you can easily find it with a little mo' money.
What factory rear gear does the 1999-2000 FRC come with?

Just curious as I was looking at one today that someone put in a 4.10 and was wondering how that would affect its performance on the track. Not a drag racer here!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ring gear in all the T56 cars is 3.42.

Mike
Old 03-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ring gear in all the T56 cars (97-04) is 3.42.

Mike
Old 03-28-2007, 09:16 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Yeah I remember you talking about the FRC, that's what got my interest in one for the track. You ran the time trials with the FRC right?

Yep - we did. I makes a great track day car and since it seems the heavy hitter time trialers in TTA stayed away so Jake and I took 1st on Sat and 2nd (by .12 seconds) on Sunday - so it can be competitive.

I use 5th in the FRC at Roebling, Road Atlanta and VIR when I am in a hurry - LS1's stock redline is lower than a LS6. It does not pull very well ,I might add, in 5th....
Old 03-28-2007, 09:56 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was getting toward the end of 4th at RA in HPDE1 so with a more experienced driver you could get there im sure. Could be wrong though.
In case you are not aware, ANY C5 coupe with Z51 suspension option and a MN6 is the same performance as a FRC. it will give you more cars out there to choose from and give you an aerodynamic advantage as well. To me, the biggest difference between the C5 with Z51 and a Z06 is the Z06 wheels and tire sizes, not the engine. You can get those fairly cheap nowadays.

Good luck in your search.

Get notified of new replies

To 99-00 FRC vs Z06 for track

Old 03-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

So all FRC came with the Z51 suspension option?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:35 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by qwik96GS
So all FRC came with the Z51 suspension option?
yep....
Old 03-28-2007, 06:36 PM
LS6Vette02
Racer

Originally Posted by robvuk
In case you are not aware, ANY C5 coupe with Z51 suspension option and a MN6 is the same performance as a FRC. it will give you more cars out there to choose from and give you an aerodynamic advantage as well. To me, the biggest difference between the C5 with Z51 and a Z06 is the Z06 wheels and tire sizes, not the engine. You can get those fairly cheap nowadays.

Good luck in your search.
Are you saying the FRC is less aerodynamic than the other C5s? Is this because of the rear window? I bought a set of OEM polished wheels recently for the Z06, so i'll be able to use the stock gray Z06 wheels for the track and whatever comes with the car I buy for the street. I was wondering about the Z51 package also, so thanks for clearing that up.

Kyle

Quick Reply: 99-00 FRC vs Z06 for track