Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instructor/Crew Chief available (Apr-May)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:13 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Instructor/Crew Chief available (Apr-May)

Barring something really weird, I’ll have about 2 months before my next race in Memphis (May 25-28), so I’ll be available to either instruct or crew chief anyone that needs it. I charge $250/day plus expenses (travel, hotel, etc).

If you really want to get “high speed,” I can bring my DL1 data acquisition device too. We can look at your information and dissect where you can pick up time. If you wish, I will also drive your car and we can compare the differences. It’s an extra $150 per day for the service, but well worth it.

For that price, you get a dedicated professional driver with 3 Southeast Division T1 National Titles, 37 race wins, over 65,000 track miles (in over 20 different makes and models), 13 years instructing, 8 years racing, 5 SCCA runoffs, 35 different tracks, and 7 current or former track records.

If you’re racing, doing a Driver’s Education (DE), or just renting a race track, I’ll be available. For those doing schools or renting a track to help set up their car and/or learn, I will provide in-car instruction. I will also be happy to drive your car if you like to help get the proper handling. I teach not only the basics of driving, but also get into the advanced techniques of car control and racing. I’ve instructed for Car Guys, Chin/TracQuest, Track Time, and car clubs too numerous to mention.

I will also be available in November and December (after the runoffs in October).

You can contact me at home in Fayetteville, NC:
Wtknght1@aol.com
(h) 910.875.0334
(w) 910.432.5983
(c) 678.378.3259
www.tracktapes.com
Current sponsors: Kumho, Carbotech, Phoenix, Lift, Inc., Hardbar, GM Performance, Summit
Old 03-27-2007, 01:53 PM
racetex
Advanced

Do you know anything about Long beach?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:22 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

that's funny...you doing an HDPE at Long Beach??

I've raced street races at Troi Riviers, DC, Detroit Belle Isle, Minneapolis, St Pete, etc, and pushed my share of concrete blocks around.

I don't think I'd want to "ride along" with a novice at Long Beach.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:00 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by racetex
Do you know anything about Long beach?
Yep.

And Dave, he's not a rookie!
Old 04-02-2007, 09:18 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

My first student of the year, Tom Wilson (Viper Driver) won both races this weekend at CMP and shaved nearly 7 seconds off his best time there!!!! The first race, he started 2d, kept his cool and passed the leader with about 2 laps to go. The Sunday race, he started 3d, dropped to 4th on the start, but worked his way back up thru the field and won the race going away - great drives buddy!!!!!!

I drove his car for a few sessions on Friday to compare data to his laps, watched lots of video, changed his lines a bit, tire pressures, brake bias, race craft, etc. By the end of the weekend, his best time was a 1:44 flat! The car was flawless, his Kumhos were consistent the whole time there and we had a blast!! Butch Kummer and another friend Dennis were there running as well and their help was tremendous!!

Looks like I'll be instructing next weekend at VIR and at the end of the month down at Sebring. The first 3 weekends of May are open on my schedule. Let me know if anyone needs help!

Last edited by wtknght1; 04-02-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

Originally Posted by wtknght1

Looks like I'll be instructing next weekend at VIR and at the end of the month down at Sebring.
what venue down here?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:35 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Red Gump
what venue down here?
I think it's a Viper Days or something like that.

The weekend of May 11-13th is also now booked up (at VIR).

The only open weekend I have from now 'til the end of May is May 5-6. Let me know if I can help anyone.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:47 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

My latest venture was a fellow T1 driver - Russ Snow. We were at the VIR north course this past weekend with the Tarheel Z club...and they've also incorporated a well run Time Trial at the end of both days - great stuff!!

The first Saturday morning sessions (riding with him) were not pretty. He was trying to brake too late which was causing him to miss his entry, apex and exit marks...and generally just be out of control. After a couple of off-course excursions, we had a long talk about driving at 7/10ths and under control. Our next session was much, much better and he began shaving seconds off his laps and understanding what the car was doing and how to control it. After a few video watching classes and discussions, it was time for the afternoon time trial. He turned a 1:37.1 which was over 3 seconds faster than he'd ever gone before!! Great job bud!!

That evening we had more talking about qual vs. race pace, "race craft", awareness, vision, etc.

For the Sunday morning session, I drove his car while he sat in the passenger seat. I showed him what we had talked about the day before and was able to get some good lap times to compare to his the day before. Unfortunately, during the later part of the session, I turned into turn 7 and his power steering pressure line popped off and it was all I could do to keep the car from sliding off track. We were towed back to the pits and couldn't find another hose, so his driving sessions were done for the day. But we used his Traqmate (sp?) system and we were able to pin-point where he could pick up some speed. His car is definitely quick and if Saturday's improvements were any indication of his skill level, we will have another front runner in the Southeast this year.

Get notified of new replies

To Instructor/Crew Chief available (Apr-May)

Quick Reply: Instructor/Crew Chief available (Apr-May)