Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Sad

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:58 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Very Sad

I was watching the news on TV tonight (Ch 7) and some Comedian was driving a Ferrari Enzo to practice for some celebrity race.. he hit the wall.... they said it was worth 1.5 mil.... the car was totaled.. he was not hurt, but was laughing...

Nice to have more $$ than brains...
Old 03-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by jpee
I was watching the news on TV tonight (Ch 7) and some Comedian was driving a Ferrari Enzo to practice for some celebrity race.. he hit the wall.... they said it was worth 1.5 mil.... the car was totaled.. he was not hurt, but was laughing...

It wasnt his car - it was part of the producers collection. They were practicing for a charity race to promote an upcoming movie and he lost control.

Why would you let someone that doesnt know how to drive a race car drive your Enzo around the track in a charity race

The owner of the car was sad that another 1 of the 400 made Enzo is now dead, but he was glad that the comedian wasn't hurt so he could have the pleasure of killing him himself
Old 03-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://cbs2.com/video/?id=36337@kcbs.dayport.com
Old 03-27-2007, 06:24 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans

not sad to me only money with a jerk driving it.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:36 PM
jlcvt
Racer

Originally Posted by jpee

Of course he was laughing, he's a comedian. But, I'm sure the owner felt a little different. A shame about the car.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:26 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What idiot set up that course so close to the barrier??? Any local SCCA Solo Safety Steward would have thrown up a red flag in an instant on that one. What a pity...

And did you notice the photographer who couldn't have been more than 10 feet from the impact???
Old 03-28-2007, 07:59 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans

todays paper said car is totaled so we know what $1,000,000.00 plus in damage is like Guess it's a donor car now!
Old 03-28-2007, 11:16 AM
RMVette06
Instructor

Conspiracy theory Time! This was stated on another board I post at. If you youtube the clip of the crash you will see the photographer behind the wall not even flinch when the Enzo wrecks 5 feet from him . Me thinks it was a setup to attract attention for this new movie coming out called redline, which by the way looks like crap
Old 03-28-2007, 11:53 AM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

If it is totalled, like they say, they can give me carcass and I will find something to graft that front end together...the drivers front wheel still turns in the vid, how can it be totalled ?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:53 PM
boerio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RMVette06
Conspiracy theory Time! This was stated on another board I post at. If you youtube the clip of the crash you will see the photographer behind the wall not even flinch when the Enzo wrecks 5 feet from him . Me thinks it was a setup to attract attention for this new movie coming out called redline, which by the way looks like crap
If it were a conspiracy, and it were planned, then why wasn't the video camera tracking that car all the way into the wall? The footage I've seen shows the camera tracking the car, breaking away, then going back as the car rebounds off the wall. If anyone has some better footage of the impact, I'd love to see it!

Speaking as a photographer, if I know I'm in a pretty safe spot, then flinching isn't much of an issue. And if there's an Enzo that's about to turn into a scrapheap, I want that photo!

That said, there were a few times I was standing at driver's left as cars came through turn 3 at Laguna Seca back in October. On two occasions, cars came off the track into the gravel, and I ducked after I got the shots I wanted, mostly to make sure I didn't get hit by the slew of flying gravel.

See http://www.rockinbdigital.com/dev/in...1&limitstart=5

Jeff
Old 03-28-2007, 12:56 PM
toolman44092
Pro

Originally Posted by boerio
If it were a conspiracy, and it were planned, then why wasn't the video camera tracking that car all the way into the wall? The footage I've seen shows the camera tracking the car, breaking away, then going back as the car rebounds off the wall. If anyone has some better footage of the impact, I'd love to see it!
There is better footage. I've seen two views so far. The one you spoke of and another from closer and more towards where the car hit the wall.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:11 PM
B-ras
Melting Slicks

Dupealicious! http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1661228
Old 03-28-2007, 07:32 PM
briannutter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default mid engine throttle-on understeer rears it's ugly head

My '88 Fiero GT handled the same way at the autocross in the '90. Tight corner, turn the wheel, hit the gas and the front end would slide as long as you were in the throttle. Tight corner coming up, stay in the throttle, turn the wheel, and chop the throttle....comes around nicely. Just 2 different ways needed to drive front versus rear/mid engine cars. Anybody else agree or disagree?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:26 PM
threewinmag
Racer

Originally Posted by John Shiels
todays paper said car is totaled so we know what $1,000,000.00 plus in damage is like Guess it's a donor car now!
You know, I heard that the car that was split in two in California was able to be put back together by the factory. I'm not sure that's 100% correct, but that's the story.

Get notified of new replies

To Very Sad

Quick Reply: Very Sad