Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warm up lap and another at Barber Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:23 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default warm up lap and another at Barber Sunday

Hey, first time for me to post a video, so I hope it works alright. My DVD and Movie Maker (both Windows) are not working right, so I really didn't have any editing capability, but I tried to keep it concise.

This was footage of my weekend at Barber motorsport park in B'ham AL, with PBOC of Florida. It was a great weekend, I bested my previous time around the track by 4 seconds, down to 1:48 laps. I had a blast and came back in one piece.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:53 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car sounds great!

I've been to that track, but never on it. At least not yet. Those elevation changes look scary. We don't have those in Louisiana.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,391 Likes on 744 Posts

Where did you have your camera mounted?

Nice video and audio quality; I keep having problems with wind noise.

Thanks for sharing, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-28-2007, 10:45 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

I took off the front license plate cover thing, and made a camera mount using the existing holes for a plate, and put blue painters tape over the mics (stereo recording) to aleviate wind noise.

The elevation changes can be plenty scary, especially if you've seen what I have... my first time running that track was last year, and a Porsche GT3 whizzed by me on the main straight, and came around the carousel, leading to the uphill where you see only the tower in the background, and he tried to pinch his car into the right where momentum is trying to slide you out to the left, and he totaled his car on the first day he'd ever been to the track. He spun right in front of me and hit the guard rail catercornered on his car (both the front and the back end of the car diagonally).

That was on Saturday morning, and I still had the whole rest of the weekend to run the track. It was quite amazing, parts flying everywhere...

-Porsche described above

Last edited by 2000BSME; 03-28-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:03 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice video, thanks !!!
Old 03-28-2007, 05:15 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Nice video, love that camera angle.

I was at Barber last year, fun track, but those elevation changes made me go to the dramamine on Sunday. Isn't there something about not operating heavy machinery on the label

Tim
Old 03-29-2007, 10:58 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice video - plan to run Barber twice this year...
Old 03-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Barber is a cool place, one of my favorites.

Last year, at the PCA event, I got put into a DE group with the fast club racers...that was really cool.

I also have a bullet cam, but am having some issues with the audio. Anyway, I never had any times to benchmark against so I never timed any laps. I popped the tape in the machine and was able to get a couple laps times and I cued up your vid and mine...it was kind of like racing you heads up...well not really but it was interesting watching the two bumper cams at the same time.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:20 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
Barber is a cool place, one of my favorites.

Last year, at the PCA event, I got put into a DE group with the fast club racers...that was really cool.

I also have a bullet cam, but am having some issues with the audio. Anyway, I never had any times to benchmark against so I never timed any laps. I popped the tape in the machine and was able to get a couple laps times and I cued up your vid and mine...it was kind of like racing you heads up...well not really but it was interesting watching the two bumper cams at the same time.
Hey, that stuff is fun ****, I did that with a friend of mine a few years back... I've been in a car that was doing 1:47's, felt pretty fast, I've also been with an instructor in a stock '04 z06 that was doing 1:40's over and over, until his transmission temperature warning would come on, and then he would pit in... felt fast as hell, last weekend I had a pretty fast instructor, he had a beast of a 'stang that had some 600rwhp, but I never timed him, so I don't know how fast he was.

That actually isn't a bullet cam, I just made a mount for a cam on the license plate holes. My cam is tiny though, but a little better res. than a bullet cam.

I'll bet you were at least a few seconds if not 10 faster than those laps. My best for the weekend was about 3-4 1:48's in my final session, that was the fastest I'd ever driven that course. Felt pretty fast for me. That footage is pretty lame though, I didn't secure the camera well enough on the fast runs, and the tape bobbles all over.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I only got vids in about 2 sessions, 1 on Friday and 1 Sunday. Since it was a Porsche club race w/DE there was really no instructors but I was able to find a fellow Vett owner that had a lot of laps at BMP but had a broke car. He really helped me a lot and we more than held our own against all of the P race cars except for the ALMS GT2 cars.

I really started getting the hang of some of the more technical parts on day two. I've always favored the long tracks where you can use the HP but I find BMP to be very fast mentally and rewarding when you do get it right.

I don't know about running 38's but I do think I could get in the low 40's next time I'm there. Looks like the end of May or begining of Nov. are the two events I've got a chance on making this year.

Get notified of new replies

To warm up lap and another at Barber Sunday

Quick Reply: warm up lap and another at Barber Sunday