Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To T1 or Not to T1 ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:22 PM
kermooni
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To T1 or Not to T1 ???

I have a 06 C6 A6 Z51. I do want to run track especially HPDE. Should I install the T1 bars?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:26 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

cover the car in clear plastic wrap..fill the tank..check the oil....run it that way awhile.....you'll be buying go faster goodies soon enough....
Johnny
Old 03-28-2007, 03:28 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kermooni
I have a 06 C6 A6 Z51. I do want to run track especially HPDE. Should I install the T1 bars?
there is a lot of things you should do, depending on how seriously you want to track, you should get coolers for your transmission, power steering (if not already equiped), better brake pads, cooling ducts, harnesses, cameras/mounts,...etc.

I got the z06 bars, springs, shocks for my tracking needs. I wouldn't get more than that for yours, as your car won't be the weakest link for quite some time to come.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:28 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with racerwannabe

Do not worry about mods for a while - spend the money at the track
Old 03-28-2007, 03:59 PM
kermooni
Racer

Thanks Guys. I have been through one HPDE already. My car is getting the Kooks headers with hi-flow cats installed - just to get a little more performance already. I have scheduled four HPDEs this summer. Two with the Porsche Club (do not laugh - they are very nice and very good) three days each and two with Vette club - one day each. I guess I will wait and ask the questions again next year
Old 03-28-2007, 04:01 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Thanks Guys. I have been through one HPDE already. My car is getting the Kooks headers with hi-flow cats installed - just to get a little more performance already. I have scheduled four HPDEs this summer. Two with the Porsche Club (do not laugh - they are very nice and very good) three days each and two with Vette club - one day each. I guess I will wait and ask the questions again next year
SERIOUSLY, save your money and get straight pipes, 02 sims, and delete the cats. You will burn the cats out with high performance usage, and then you will be out the $500 or so that they cost you to begin with. I've got pictures if you don't believe me. Save your money.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:07 PM
kermooni
Racer

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
there is a lot of things you should do, depending on how seriously you want to track, you should get coolers for your transmission, power steering (if not already equiped), better brake pads, cooling ducts, harnesses, cameras/mounts,...etc.

I got the z06 bars, springs, shocks for my tracking needs. I wouldn't get more than that for yours, as your car won't be the weakest link for quite some time to come.
I know the Z51 on C6 has the front bars of Z06 but not the rear - I read that on the forum last year. I was not sure if the Z06 were actually T1s. Z51 comes with extra trasmission cooling. I already have the Hardbar, custom harness, and SS brake lines. Race pads go in the morning B4 the event Also, the nose and body behind each tire get the 3M blue tape to avoid the track worms
Old 03-28-2007, 04:11 PM
kermooni
Racer

SERIOUSLY, save your money and get straight pipes, 02 sims, and delete the cats. You will burn the cats out with high performance usage, and then you will be out the $500 or so that they cost you to begin with. I've got pictures if you don't believe me. Save your money.
I would never think you were kidding. I drive this puppy every day during the summer. Will I have problems without CATs? Too loud?

I know Daily Driver and Track Car are contradiction in terms. But is there a happy medium for a couple of years anyway?
Old 03-28-2007, 04:35 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

I would never think you were kidding. I drive this puppy every day during the summer. Will I have problems without CATs? Too loud?

I know Daily Driver and Track Car are contradiction in terms. But is there a happy medium for a couple of years anyway?
It will be louder without cats, you could offset that by getting a 'touring' muffler as opposed to a 'pace car' muffler. You won't have any problems without cats if you install 02 sims or get the code deleted with a tuning program.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:33 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

First mod I'd make in your position would be a supplemental transmission cooler; otherwise either you're going to be taking cooldown laps frequently during a session, or your A6 isn't going to survive very long.

2000BSME could give better info, but I'd look at a 45,000 btu cooler to handle DE heat loads.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-28-2007, 06:21 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
First mod I'd make in your position would be a supplemental transmission cooler; otherwise either you're going to be taking cooldown laps frequently during a session, or your A6 isn't going to survive very long.

2000BSME could give better info, but I'd look at a 45,000 btu cooler to handle DE heat loads.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
I have the biggest trans cooler the local car parts store sold (I think it was a 24,000lb unit) mounted in front of my radiator and I'm still seeing temps of 252*F-too hot for my tastes... Next step for me will be getting a fan, or removing the loop through the radiator, or even getting a second cooler, in addition to getting a bigger 2 core radiator.

I'll prolly be buying a new tranny soon too...

I wouldn't even think of getting a tube and fin cooler either, I would get a stacked plate type cooler, they are much higher efficiency.

Last edited by 2000BSME; 03-28-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:02 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go T-1 you will enjoy driving it more as it won't roll like a pig.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:42 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

One HPDE... stay stock for about one year. You are not likely to drive the car hard enougth to hurt it.

Then look at safety mods first, then cooling & brakes, next tires.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:03 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by trumper Z06
One HPDE... stay stock for about one year. You are not likely to drive the car hard enougth to hurt it.

Then look at safety mods first, then cooling & brakes, next tires.
what are you talking about?? Maybe an event or two, but once he familiarizes himself with a track he will chew that car up in stock form, that is, if he doesn't drive like a pansy.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:12 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

what are you talking about?? Maybe an event or two, but once he familiarizes himself with a track he will chew that car up in stock form, that is, if he doesn't drive like a pansy.
I know Exactly what I'm talking about !!!

It doesn't seem that you do... though !

If he's only done ONE HPDE event... he has a lot to learn !!!

He will fare far better running stock and gaining experience driving... than trying to jump into the deep end.

Last edited by trumper Z06; 03-28-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:18 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

I know Exactly what I'm talking about !!!

It doesn't seem that you do... though !

If he's only done ONE HPDE event... he has a lot to learn !!!

He will fare far better with "stock tires" and gaining experience driving... than trying to jump into the deep end.
you can do 20 events and still have alot to learn... true that stock tires will point out his mistakes better, but I preferred not to ruin a set of stock tires on the track, so I bought a wheel/tire combo just for the track. A friend of mine didn't do that and he managed to cord the front left ps2 cupp tire in ONE weekend!! My Hoosiers are looking good after 15 sessions (4 days of events). Track tires will also make the experience more fun.

Now please, enlighten me, why doesn't it seem like 'i do' as you so condescendingly put it?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:06 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trumper,whats up? Hows the "BEAST" running? I still havent pulled OL Yeller out of the trailer yet. And by the way, trumper knows what he is talking about.

Get notified of new replies

To To T1 or Not to T1 ???

Old 03-28-2007, 09:12 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

you can do 20 events and still have alot to learn... true that stock tires will point out his mistakes better, but I preferred not to ruin a set of stock tires on the track, so I bought a wheel/tire combo just for the track. A friend of mine didn't do that and he managed to cord the front left ps2 cupp tire in ONE weekend!! My Hoosiers are looking good after 15 sessions (4 days of events). Track tires will also make the experience more fun.

Now please, enlighten me, why doesn't it seem like 'i do' as you so condescendingly put it?
There are a number of clubs that... "Will Not"...

even allow the use of DOT " R " or full "slick" tires...

until after a driver is moved up from novice ie. the beginner group.

That condesending enough for you ???
Old 03-28-2007, 09:18 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vette6aut0x
Trumper,whats up? Hows the "BEAST" running? I still havent pulled OL Yeller out of the trailer yet. And by the way, trumper knows what he is talking about.
Heeey Dave,

the BEAST is running well !!! Let me know when you have Ole Yeller back together so we can get back on the track.

I did get "faint" spider-webbing on the Coleman rotors... but... Robinson Racing thinks they will probably last one or two more... 3 day events. I have about 65 percent pad left on the Carbotech's too. Not bad after 3 days at Road Atlanta running a C-6 Z06 and instructing.

Cya @ the track,

Trumper
Old 03-28-2007, 09:32 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

There are a number of clubs that... "Will Not"...

even allow the use of DOT " R " or full "slick" tires...

until after a driver is moved up from novice ie. the beginner group.

That condesending enough for you ???
Hey, you've got a major superiority issue here... if I were this guy, the guy asking for advice, I would want for my skill to be the only thing holding me up, not my equipment...sorry if I offended you with my earlier remark, but I don't need a one on one with you, as I'm sure I'll see plenty more of you at the track in the coming years.

You chose to focus on 'slicks' because why? I don't think that was my intial advice, nor do I claim to be any kind of expert. I am merely answering his initial request for information, being a newcomer myself, and sharing my experiences with him, so as to make his experiences as good as they can be.

We pay good money for these events, and the last thing that any of us want is for an equipment failure. Not all of us are money bags...

You can knock it off with the condescending remarks and the rolleye smilies, really, you're coming off like you got a chip on your shoulder or something, I don't wanna fight with you.

David (vette autox), hello, it was nice hanging out with you and your brother last weekend, I learned alot. I'm sure trumper does know what he's talking about, but that doesn't make my advice worthless by any stretch.

Quick Reply: To T1 or Not to T1 ???