Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying shocks for Auto Cross

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 02:40 AM
pjm710
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying shocks for Auto Cross

I was looking at buying KONI FSD shocks does anyone have any exp with these on the autox. Ride comfort is always nice around town but if these will be bad for the track can someone recomend another brand and where to get them.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:28 AM
pjm710
Burning Brakes

Sorry i forgot to say i drive a c5
Old 03-29-2007, 08:05 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Depends on your budget and your level of seriousness. I don't know of any folks running those on a national level. The 3013 single adjustable Konis aren't much more expensive and have an excellent track record for autocross. A great alternative to spending the big bucks for Penskes or the like. There is supposedly a new "Sport" version coming out.

Then there are still those who run the '04 Z06 shocks as well. Depending on what you currently have, that can be a nice upgrade, at around 35% of the price of the 3013s.

Is your C5 a Z06, a Z51, or what?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:48 AM
jpasterjak
Advanced

We're HUGE fans of the FSDs. I use them on our C5 project car since I run a lot of NCCC Group 1 and the rules specify non-adjustable shocks. Honestly, if I were allowed to use adjustables, I'd still give serious consideration to the FSDs. Koni really has a magic bulllet with those. Our Tech Editor used them on his HS Mini last year, after exploring several different shocks. Basically, he had access to whatever he wanted, he picked the FSDs.

Adjustable shocks are wonderful, but they need to be adjusted properly to work properly. The more variables you have the more time and testing it will take to get the setup nailed down for your particular driving style. If you're willing and able to do that, then you can start giving more consideration to something more tuneable.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
Old 03-30-2007, 01:18 AM
pjm710
Burning Brakes

I drive a coupe with the stock shocks from 1999 still in place. I figured that it was time to start looking at replacing them anyways.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at buying shocks for Auto Cross

Quick Reply: Looking at buying shocks for Auto Cross