Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness installation hardware

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Harness installation hardware

I'm adding a BK bar to my 04 Z06 and now I need hardware to install the 6 points. All I've seen to come across is the BK set, is this the only good solution?

Can't help but think $140+ is a bit much for some metal brackets. Any other solutions that folks might point me towards. I do want a nice install as it isn't a full time track car.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2007, 05:21 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got the BK harness bar and belt hardware. I will install next weekend. Several of my friends have the BK belt set and swear by them. They can still use the factory seatbelts and the BK hardware doesn't show too much.

The set does both seats. You don't want to go cheap when it comes to your safety.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

I agree that going cheap on safety is foolish. I'm just looking to see if there are more options in this market. I'm ready to go with the BK product, just seems odd that I haven't heard of any competing product?

Any other perspectives?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:05 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put a B-K in my '03 Z. If you want to use the stock seat, or an after-market seat on the stock rails (I have Carravaggio seats in mine on the stock rails), buy the hardware. If you plan on going to the track, and you are at all concerned about your safety, spend the money and get the right stuff. Safety is no place to skimp on parts. When you are headed toward a wall you don't want to be thinking "Gee, I wish I'd bought the right equipment rather than that cheap crap... I hope it holds." I got the B-K harness mounts for the lap belts and they work nicely with the stock setup. You can still use your stock belts for street driving, and have a solid mount for your harness for the track.

Now, if you are doing an aftermarket seat, consider getting a Hardbar seat mount and Gary's harness mounting equipment. Excellent stuff. And don't cheap out on any bolts you use as well. Grade 8 is a must.

p.s. This goes into the catagory with cheap helmets -- You've heard the old saying, "How much is your head worth to you?" In this case, with harnesses, it's how much is your life worth? And remember, the deductibles on your health insurance are way higher than anything you will spend on safety equipment.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

OK, once again, I'll say I'm not looking to skimp on safety. I'm looking for valid product options for the C5.

If I had posted "Guys what's the cheapest possible way I hook up my harnesses" I think this repetative comment would be warranted.

I didn't buy the first house I looked at!
I didn't buy the first vette I looked at!

Just thought there might be another product to consider, basic market research. Sometime the defacto standard isn't the best solution.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:34 PM
boerio
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was looking a few years ago, B-K was "it" for the market. I like the product and I like how it installs.

One thing for you to remember about harnesses. Make sure to get snap hooks for the lap belts. The G-Force harnesses I got came with bolt-in connectors by default.

Jeff
Old 03-30-2007, 04:53 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the Hardbar harness bar and belt mounting kit. Absolutely superb product. I mounted my TeamTech harnesses without any issues at all. http://www.hardbarusa.com/ -- they also sponsor this forum...
Old 03-30-2007, 05:14 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I would like to see some pictures with the BK lap belt mount. From what I remember if your seat is to far back the mounts will be in front of the seat. That can't be good. I just received a Hardbar lap belt bracket. I'm going to post pictures when it's installed.

Steve
Old 03-30-2007, 07:46 PM
boerio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
I would like to see some pictures with the BK lap belt mount. From what I remember if your seat is to far back the mounts will be in front of the seat. That can't be good. I just received a Hardbar lap belt bracket. I'm going to post pictures when it's installed.

Steve
The B-K lap belt kit uses the stock seat belt mounting locations. For the driver's seat for example, the right side lap belt mount is attached to the same location as the receptor for the existing seat belt. The left side mount location is at the same point as the spool for the seat belt.

You have to cut a small hole in the housing to allow the metal bracket to get through.

Unfortunately, I do not have the lap belt kit installed in my '01 Z06 yet. And I never took a picture of the installation in my '00 Coupe, which is now dead.

Jeff
Old 03-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

gkmccready, thanks I didn't know that Hardbar made a product thanks, Is this the item they call the lap belt cross bar????? If so it looks to me it is a bar that goes across the seat rail back and had a place on both sides for belts?

I'd like to see a picture of it with both harness and originals installed if that is possible? Can't tell if the load is carried through the seat installation or through the original seat belt installation area?

Nice to have options to consider though, thanks
Old 04-01-2007, 01:11 AM
AZ FASTEST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

The problems with the BK seat belt mounts are:

The brackets that the belts clip in stick up and wear holes in your pants or in the best case leaves marks on them. I ruined the pants of two suits!

Clip in belts need to be super short or the tag end is about two plus feet long!
Old 04-02-2007, 03:56 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I have been getting calls on this and unfortunately we cannot offer a solution. Our lap belt bar also gives you a place for 5 and 6 point sub belts but due to interference with the downtubes and also a lack of avaliable thread length it cannot be used with the BK bar.

Get notified of new replies

To Harness installation hardware

Quick Reply: Harness installation hardware