Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAd news on new Super Duty Fords

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:44 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default BAd news on new Super Duty Fords

I was reading in an snap-on publication I think it was that to do anything more than normal maintenance on the diesels you need to pull the cab off
Old 03-30-2007, 11:13 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Well after they had problems with their VGT(Variable Geometry Turbo) They went to a sequential twin setup and stuffed twice as much $h1t in the same space. It appears they are having issues with the new particulate traps as well. Ford has advised anyone who walks behind a new super duty to wear a 3 layer nomex suit! They were having issues with them throwing flames out the back of them around here.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:37 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I was reading in an snap-on publication I think it was that to do anything more than normal maintenance on the diesels you need to pull the cab off

This isn't something new. I know some ford master techs that have been pulling the cabs to work on even the older 7.3's. It's much easier than it sounds and it makes working on the engine a breeze.

Hammer
Old 03-31-2007, 08:24 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cab pull supposedly takes around 40min, so it must not be too bad. probably a bit more involved if you have an Excursion

My '08 F250 had a dipstick tube oil leak at delivery, but has been a great truck otherwise. Much smoother and quieter, and no flames out the tailpipe, yet...
Old 03-31-2007, 08:28 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

still seem rediculous to me. Even when I look at the Excursion the motor is packed like sardines and the new one is worse

Guess I'll be keeping my Dodge a long long time.

Do they have a lift ring on the top of the cab?
Old 03-31-2007, 08:31 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XPC5R
My '08 F250 had a dipstick tube oil leak at delivery, but has been a great truck otherwise. Much smoother and quieter, and no flames out the tailpipe, yet...
You're not going to like this:

Ford Stops Sales of Big Super Duty, Recalls 2008 Trucks
Tailpipe Fires Reported in Early Models
By Joe Benton
ConsumerAffairs.Com

March 22, 2007
Ford Motor Co. has ordered dealers to stop selling the new Super Duty pickup with the 6.4-liter diesel engine and is recalling more than 37,000 of the 2008 F-Series trucks after reported tailpipe fires in the diesel version of the pickups.

Ford has received three reports of flames shooting out of tailpipes after either fuel or oil leaked into an area of the exhaust system where diesel particulates are burned off to meet emissions requirements, according to a Ford spokesman.

In Texas, one Super Duty diesel's hot tailpipe set grass fire when the driver pulled off the road, according to Ford. The fire was quickly put out and no one was hurt.

"This is an important product for us and an important customer base, and we want to move swiftly to make sure this does not become a safety issue for our customers," Ford spokesman Dan Jarvis said.

The heavy-duty work truck is an important aspect of financial recovery at Ford as the automaker tries to pull itself out of $12.7 billion in red ink from last year.

Ford dealers have an inventory on hand of roughly 29,000 Super Duty trucks with the 6.4-liter diesel engine. Sales of the hot selling truck will not resume until the engine control software can be updated.

The software upgrade resets the Super Duty powertrain control module on the Ford trucks to recognize improper levels of heat in the exhaust system. If heat is detected the system will power down the truck so the driver can pull to the side of the road and allow the truck to cool off.

Ford estimates the software can be modified during ten minute procedure. Super Duty trucks that have not been shipped from their assembly plant in Louisville, Kentucky will receive the engine control software update at the plant.

Customers with the first 8,400 diesel Super Duty trucks already on the roads will be notified that they should bring their vehicles into dealerships for the software update.

Ford will send out a recall notice to customers in April and dealers will contact consumers as soon as possible to warn them of the potential problem.

Gasoline-powered versions of the Super Duty and previous model-year diesel trucks with 6.0-liter or 7.3-liter engines are not affected by the recall.

Almost 70 percent of the Super Duty trucks sold are equipped with diesel engines.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:28 PM
TobiasMB
Intermediate

Default Ford has a better idea now!!

With all their recalls and law suits against International, they have gone off and used Volvo (also theirs) to buy the complete Nissan Diesel manufacturing division. This has cost them $1.1 bil. to purchase but this has eliminated Nissan to to compete with Ford and Ford owns their own diesel engine company.
Guess it will be time for International to find another buyer or be ready for a takeover...hello Chrysler maybe (or their new owners)??

Last edited by TobiasMB; 04-01-2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-01-2007, 04:27 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TobiasMB
With all their recalls and law suits against International, they have gone off and used Volvo (also theirs) to buy the complete Nissan Diesel manufacturing division. This has cost them $1.1 bil. to purchase but this has eliminated Nissan to to compete with Ford and Ford owns their own diesel engine company.
Guess it will be time for International to find another buyer or be ready for a takeover...hello Chrysler maybe (or their new owners)??
Doubt Chrysler will dump Cummins.

Interesting info you have I am sure Ford is tied to IH till the end of this production run on Fords or probably 7-8 years or even longer. Just dropped new air filter in my Excursion and went 35 miles on a level road racked up 28 MPG at 54 MPH my Dodge get about 25.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:07 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I can't believe Ford is having this problem.

I know what it is and I'd like to know what the fail safe mechanism is.

The particulate filters get clogged over time so every so many miles the engine will spray diesel into the filter to burn it clean.

The problem is the injector is getting stuck and the result, which is VERY hard to do is flames out the tailpipe. Diesel doesn't burn and I've seen video of the trucks with the problem they have to be dumping massive amounts of fuel.

Other manufactuers use a 2 step failsafe system including monitor exhaust pipe temp near the end of the sysem so if there is a failure, it stops things before flames shoot out the rear.

Ford is not being entirely truthful on why there are flames, its not from the engine, its from diesel that is sprayed into the exhaust afterwards.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You couldn't give me a 2000-2008 Ford Diesel. The problems they've had have been well documented around the world, and simply put, not worth the hurdle to jump into a ford... I'll keep my dodge until the wheels fall off, or until I decide it's time to upgrade... And then it'll likely be another Dodge, so long as they're using Cummins!

In my opinion, there is simply no other diesel worth considering in a consumer truck. I have 53K miles on mine and I've done oil and filters, and just this past Friday had a major fluid flush of the trans/transfer case, diffs, and full inspection, and the report came back that the truck is doing great and has only used about half the pads/rotor life on the brakes... This thing is AMAZING!
Mike
Old 04-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Coc5
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
You couldn't give me a 2000-2008 Ford Diesel. The problems they've had have been well documented around the world, and simply put, not worth the hurdle to jump into a ford... I'll keep my dodge until the wheels fall off, or until I decide it's time to upgrade... And then it'll likely be another Dodge, so long as they're using Cummins!

In my opinion, there is simply no other diesel worth considering in a consumer truck. I have 53K miles on mine and I've done oil and filters, and just this past Friday had a major fluid flush of the trans/transfer case, diffs, and full inspection, and the report came back that the truck is doing great and has only used about half the pads/rotor life on the brakes... This thing is AMAZING!
Mike
I have an 90 CTD that I use for my tow rig. Over 340,000 miles and the only replaced parts were a starter at 270,000 and $100.00 turbo rebuild at 290,000. Not including a few sets of u-joints and normal wear items.

At least it doesn't do this. The Fords have a SERIOUS problem. Very serious. Luckily they are too big to fit in most garages. If you do have one, DO NOT park it inside or next to anything you don't want to burn down.
Watch this video.

http://www.break.com/index/ford_recalls_trucks.html

Last edited by Coc5; 04-01-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:02 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AUTO_X_AL
Well after they had problems with their VGT(Variable Geometry Turbo) They went to a sequential twin setup and stuffed twice as much $h1t in the same space. It appears they are having issues with the new particulate traps as well. Ford has advised anyone who walks behind a new super duty to wear a 3 layer nomex suit! They were having issues with them throwing flames out the back of them around here.
they problems were fixed according to Automotive News:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../70326013/1528
Old 04-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Gatorac
Pro

After all of the problems with the 6.0, did anyone think they were not going to have problems with the new engine?

Ford styling+GM electronics+Cummins= A truck worth buying. Anything else is just the lesser of the 3 evils....
Old 04-01-2007, 08:48 PM
jtkeller
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

I've got about 30 6.0's in my company's fleet. Ford bought back all 17 of our 2004's and replaced them with '06's at their expense due to all of the problems we were having. The 05 and 06 models haven't been as problemsome, but they require the fuel filters (both) be replaced every 15k miles just to stay running (@ $230 for their replacement!). Our new Dodges just seem to run and run...

I don't know what we'll go with next, but I guarantee it won't be a Ford.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:11 PM
GB'sZo6
Instructor

Default They all have problems !!!

I own an engine replacement shop in central NJ. We work for a lot of big fleets and find that Ford and Dodge diesels have about the same failure rates. The big rate of diesel failure we find is with GM. I love to race the GM but I'll pull my race car with a Ford or Dodge. I also found that same scenario in the offshore boat racing world. They raced GM and pulled the rigs with Dodge and Ford.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:15 PM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow I didn't realize things were this bad with the SD. After many trouble free miles running a Benz turbo diesel car I decided on an 04 Duramax to pull our car trailer. Have had no issues except for a reasonance in the exhaust right at 55 MPH which goes away above and below. Dealer replaced part of the exhaust but still there however not that annoying since I rarely do 55 and its only at 55.

Hate to see a compnay like ford that employees so many having such issues. A clear case of poor product development, lack of extensive regression testing to find pre-release problems and overall project management problems.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:58 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The recall is ugly, but only 3 trucks out of 8-9000 reported true tailpipe fires. From the videos, it's obvious something is wrong with the sound of the engine too. They should have caught it before product release, but are probably doing the best they can to address it quickly and completely. Given the complexity of any of the 2007-2010 emissions compliant diesels, I suspect few of them will be as trouble free as their predecessors. All have more EGR, catalyss, DPFs, regen cycles, VVT turbos etc. At least the power and tq are still good, unlike the old smogged gas engines.

The new Duramax has the best drivetrain, although the new Cummins/6spd auto may be it's equal now. I just like the package and interior of the Ford SD's for what we do, long tows (500-1500mi. each way) over long driving days.

I put 103k on my '02 7.3 Excursion, great truck, but it too had oil leakage, pinion bearing failure, loose steering, warped rotors etc. Not to mention it took reflashing to get decent power, airbags to keep the tail from sagging, swaybars, shocks etc. So the world was not completely rosy even in those days.

Last edited by XPC5R; 04-02-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:06 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GB'sZo6
I own an engine replacement shop in central NJ. We work for a lot of big fleets and find that Ford and Dodge diesels have about the same failure rates. The big rate of diesel failure we find is with GM. I love to race the GM but I'll pull my race car with a Ford or Dodge. I also found that same scenario in the offshore boat racing world. They raced GM and pulled the rigs with Dodge and Ford.
Dodge = HD Chevy Ford Medium duty. Ford and Chevy are no match for a Cummins in longevity Went 9500 miles and added 1/2 quart of oil to mine. Changing oil at 10,000 now on dino. Greg you need to drop a Cummins in your Ford

Even my ball joint problem is now gone at 40,000 my ball joints were shot so I put in Moog which was supposed to be the same as OEM but now at 100,000 or 60,000 miles later they are still tight. Track bar has 100,000 and it is still good and many others have problems.

I am on my 5th set of pads with original rotors except one.

Ford Excursion has been trouble free except a engine sensor and it has 36,000 on it.

Last edited by John Shiels; 04-02-2007 at 10:14 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To BAd news on new Super Duty Fords

Quick Reply: BAd news on new Super Duty Fords