Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6R comes to St. Pete

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 10:39 AM
zmzm5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6R comes to St. Pete

Well they are the fastest in GT1 so far, but they are also the slowest because only 2 GT1 cars came to run the St. Pete Grand Prix. Where are the Masis and others? But it's great to see them in real life at speed. I got some shots on the track and in the paddock. Just ask if you want more...

Old 03-31-2007, 10:50 AM
JimEli
Advanced

more. please.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:32 PM
zmzm5
Instructor

Here are a couple more on track shots.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:35 PM
zmzm5
Instructor

And a couple more resting after a hard workout.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:47 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Judging from your photographic talent I am greedy and want more! Thanks for some great shots for me to save!
Old 03-31-2007, 12:49 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I really wish the ALMS could get more competitors. In Europe, both the FIA GT series and the ELMS have good fields, with Vettes, Astins, Masarati's, Saleens, and even Lambos. I guess we can continue to blame NASCAR for sucking all of the life away from all non-stock-car series (that's what I do)
Old 03-31-2007, 05:17 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised the 'gators didn't reach up and rip off the splitter in that first picture!

Great shots! Loving them!
Old 03-31-2007, 08:52 PM
Purerock105
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I really wish the ALMS could get more competitors. In Europe, both the FIA GT series and the ELMS have good fields, with Vettes, Astins, Masarati's, Saleens, and even Lambos. I guess we can continue to blame NASCAR for sucking all of the life away from all non-stock-car series (that's what I do)
I think that half the people in the stands thought that the Corvettes
were indeed racing the Ferrari's, Porsches, and Panoz in GT2.

I love ALMS, having attended Sebring and Road Atlanta(Petit LeMans)
every year since 2002, but both the GT1 and P1 classes is somewhat
embarrasing.

There is NO competition for either the Audi's or the Vettes.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:15 PM
zmzm5
Instructor

Olivier Beretta and Oliver Gavin finished 8th overall and first in GT1, but the other C6R only lasted 37 laps before breaking. The Audi won overall. It was whisper quiet compared to the C6R. Included are a couple more shots.

I wonder what this guy was thinking (or praying) about?

Although seeing the C6R and the prototypes was great, I think the Speed Challenge series was a better support race. Watching Lou Gigliotti and the other Corvettes race the Vipers was much more entertaining.

Last edited by zmzm5; 04-01-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:00 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by zmzm5
Although seeing the C6R and the prototypes was great, I think the Speed Challenge series was a better support race. Watching Lou Gigliotti and the other Corvettes race the Vipers was much more entertaining.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:02 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Great Pics...
Old 04-02-2007, 09:40 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I disagree. The problem is that there are no real "shining stars" in the American racing scene outside of NASCAR. The real blame lies with C.A.R.T. and the I.R.L., its their infighting and indifference to drivers that has made racing into pure kaos for American race fans to follow. With both not getting it, its the AMLS that gets lost in the mix when it comes to media coverage and interest here. I hate to admit it but NASCAR totally gets it.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:44 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I don't think CART and IRL (or any other open-wheel series) have anything to do with sports car road racing, although I agree they are killing themselves. It's the ALMS vs Grand-Am that might be to blame in the sports-car scene. Regardless, every ALMS/Grand-Am/IRL/CART fan combined comes no where near the mass of NASCAR fans.

NASCAR drove the wooden stake in Trans-Am back in 1994, my first year in World Challenge. They started the Craftsman Truck series', and many of the big teams left Trans-Am and went truck racing. Also, that is when Chevrolet and Ford pulled out of Trans-Am, again, backing the trucks with direct funing and support. The series' floundered after that, kept alive by the well-funded teams of Gentillozi and others. Then the last few big teams went away, and there just wasn't enough $$ left to support the series.

I'm not blaming NASCAR for being successfull. More power to them. However, it is our fault (the fans) for not supporting the sports cars better. NASCAR puts on a better show for those that enjoy it (I don't), so I'll continue to watch one Corvette drive around till' the cows come home.

As much as I hate the Daytona "prototypes" (I use that term loosely), with NASCARS' France family's backing, it has grown into the only successful top-tier road-racing series in North America.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:32 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't think CART and IRL (or any other open-wheel series) have anything to do with sports car road racing, although I agree they are killing themselves. It's the ALMS vs Grand-Am that might be to blame in the sports-car scene. Regardless, every ALMS/Grand-Am/IRL/CART fan combined comes no where near the mass of NASCAR fans.

NASCAR drove the wooden stake in Trans-Am back in 1994, my first year in World Challenge. They started the Craftsman Truck series', and many of the big teams left Trans-Am and went truck racing. Also, that is when Chevrolet and Ford pulled out of Trans-Am, again, backing the trucks with direct funing and support. The series' floundered after that, kept alive by the well-funded teams of Gentillozi and others. Then the last few big teams went away, and there just wasn't enough $$ left to support the series.

I'm not blaming NASCAR for being successfull. More power to them. However, it is our fault (the fans) for not supporting the sports cars better. NASCAR puts on a better show for those that enjoy it (I don't), so I'll continue to watch one Corvette drive around till' the cows come home.

As much as I hate the Daytona "prototypes" (I use that term loosely), with NASCARS' France family's backing, it has grown into the only successful top-tier road-racing series in North America.
What I meant is that most people on the street can at least name a NASCAR driver, but have no clue on whose driving in ALMS/Grand-Am/IRL/CART this year. Trans-Am had the charisma and stability that drew in John Q-Public. Its fans followed the drivers as well as the sports cars, teams and road courses. Its that what ALMS/Grand-Am/IRL/CART have lost. You reinforced it with your statement of drivers in Tran Am jumping ship to NASCAR. I brought up the CART/IRL feud because is the prime example of what is wrong with the American pro racing scene. With those sanctioned bodies its about the cars and races. They took the human element out with their pompous media circuses designed to out do each other. NASCAR like F1 has successfully kept the "human" element in the fore front with its teams keeping the same drivers each season. Being in the music business, I fully can relate on how the media within our culture creates demigods out of NASCAR drivers. Unfortunately no one has not been able to make it work with a C6R. I like you will still continue to watch Corvettes on road courses as long as there are drivers who'll race them :-)

Get notified of new replies

To C6R comes to St. Pete

Quick Reply: C6R comes to St. Pete