Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier R6 or Goodyear EMT for Cold Track?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:36 PM
withrow79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoosier R6 or Goodyear EMT for Cold Track?

I'll be heading to Lime Rock on April 7th for an HPDE. It's supposed to be around 40 degrees... Yuk! Here's my question?

Should I run on Hoosier R6s or use my street Goodyear runflats? Which is better in the cold? What if the track is damp? Wet? I've never run Hoosiers before but bought them over the winter for track days... Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:18 PM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I ran my C6 Z06 the same time last year with the EMTs at Lime Rock with the EMTs and they performed flawlessly. Having said that, I'll wait and see whether to run my Hoosier R6s on my blown CTS-V this Saturday. I'll make that decision about 7 a.m. at the track.

Look forward to seeing you at Lime Rock. I'll be in the blue group in the #42 black CTS-V.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:44 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I would only run the EMt's if it rained.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:19 AM
withrow79
Instructor

Thank you both for your feedback. I'm in the blue group as well... #77 Red Z06... I'll see you there. Unfortunately I don't have a trailer so I need to decide the night before... I was hoping it would be 70 degrees and sunny so I would have no problems driving to the track on the Hoosiers...

Let's be optomists and assume it will be dry... Which tires would be the better choice on a cold track?
Old 04-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by withrow79
... Which tires would be the better choice on a cold track?
The R6's will warm up, the EMT's are more temp sensative because they have much harder compound.

The EMT's are not terrible on the track but will give you no warning when you are about to cross the edge from grip to no grip.

I would only consider running the EMT's in the rain, or if you have a lot of track experience. I would look to find a ride for your tires...a buddy that wanted to go with you could also drive 2 of the tires in his ride, 2 could fit in yours.

note: I have run my EMT's in 1 track session because I corded a track tire and there was 1 session left in the day. The EMT's are very hard, I was surprized that the track did not ruin them for the street but they took it pretty well. You can ruin street tires in a few laps on the track.

Last edited by Gary2KC5; 04-01-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:15 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

my R6's are going in my trailer, not sure what I'm putting on the car to run for saturday, all I know is the R6's specifically said on the labels not intended for highway use, sure I'd do some local blasts to scrub them up a bit before an event (still have to they're brand new) but the tires are so soft that even gravel has a chance to puncture them, I'd be a little hesitant of a NJ to Limerock ride on them on the street and back but thats just me. I have driven on ET streets to atco and back...just figured I'd point that fact out.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:14 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

At LRP, there is cold, and then it may be really cold. Hopefully if we are in the 40's (or more) and sunny, it will be a really nice day.

The March events that were cancelled, often start off below 30 in the
early morning.

Maybe we'll get a day like this past Wed or Thurs...

I run only Hoosiers, I don't even have street tires any more. You need to take a few laps to let them warm up - it all depends on track surface temp, and you need to "feel" your tires.
If it rains I put it into the trailer.

I'm running Red group.

See you next Sat.

Joel
Old 04-02-2007, 06:25 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the EMTs at a HPDE when it was 42 degrees and raining. I was surprised at the grip they generated (.72g). I have a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (that are similar to the R6s) and thay have yet to make it to the track. I have used them around town a little and I can say they do not like cold and wet at ALL! My choice would be the ETMs if there was any chance of moisture.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:40 AM
withrow79
Instructor

Thanks guys for all the feedback... Looks like I'll be deciding late friday night. If it's just cold I'll throw on the Hoosiers (for the 1st time) and if it looks like it might be damp I'll stick with the EMTs (my rears are brand spankin' new since I ran about 5 HPDE's on my old set last yr).

I'll see some of you there, I can't wait!

--John
Old 04-03-2007, 09:04 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

R6 if dry

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosier R6 or Goodyear EMT for Cold Track?

Quick Reply: Hoosier R6 or Goodyear EMT for Cold Track?