Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 autox setup help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:25 AM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 autox setup help

I did some mods this past winter and need to make some changes after the first autox. Here is was I have on a 96. I am using a adjustable flat front spring from VB&P,lowered all the way down, poly bushing and a 32mm front bar. The rear is also lower and has a a 26mm rear bar.

I need to decide what to do about tires and sizes. I have a set of saw blades in the garage and a set of Grand Sport wheels on the car which I have 315 Sumitomo on the rear and have two Yokohama AVA sports up front. Should I order 275 Sumitoomo's for the front or run the complete set of Yokohamas on the saw blades. With the two first tires options I was planning on putting the stock sway bar back on.

My last option I was thinking about would be buying some 17x11 wheels for the front and a pair of 315 Sumitomos for the front and leaving the 32mm bar with that combo.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:37 PM
96CELT4
Burning Brakes

What organization are you autocrossing with? SCCA, NCCC, or some other organization? Reason I ask is that the mods you have already made would put you in a modified class in most organizations which don't usually have street tire classes for modified cars. So it's not real clear why you would even be considering Sumitomo or Yokohamas. All your competition will most likely be on dedicated race tires, either Kumho 710 or Hoosier A6 tires.

It sounds like you have a different set of wheels and or are willing to buy more rims. If that is the case then a good setup for the C4 in a modified class would be 315 Kumho or Hoosiers all the way around.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:56 PM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Originally Posted by 96CELT4
What organization are you autocrossing with? SCCA, NCCC, or some other organization? Reason I ask is that the mods you have already made would put you in a modified class in most organizations which don't usually have street tire classes for modified cars. So it's not real clear why you would even be considering Sumitomo or Yokohamas. All your competition will most likely be on dedicated race tires, either Kumho 710 or Hoosier A6 tires.

It sounds like you have a different set of wheels and or are willing to buy more rims. If that is the case then a good setup for the C4 in a modified class would be 315 Kumho or Hoosiers all the way around.
I am doing SCCA and in BSP class because of the wheels last year. This is only my second season and only made it out four or five times last year. The other reason I like the class is because I can see if I am improving because of the other corvette and the local groups also have street tire class for all classes. The reason for prefering to run street tires is lack of experence.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:25 PM
96CELT4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KCHOTBOAT
I am doing SCCA and in BSP class because of the wheels last year. This is only my second season and only made it out four or five times last year. The other reason I like the class is because I can see if I am improving because of the other corvette and the local groups also have street tire class for all classes. The reason for prefering to run street tires is lack of experence.
Well thats cool that they provide a street tire class even for BSP. In that case I would go with the widest tire I could fit all the way around. I remember that 315 kumhos would rub slightly up front on really tight turns, so the 315 sumitomos may do the same.

BTW, why would you consider removing the 32mm bar if you went with 275 up front? The 32mm bar was one of the best mod I made on my 96 lt4 running in AS, and I ran 275 up front on it. Very good at reigning in the body roll that the 96 had and allowed the car to rotate nicely.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:27 PM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KCHOTBOAT
I think you're on the right track since it sounds like you're just beginning. Since you're happy with being in BSP, and other org's street tire classes, I would highly recommend your suggestion of buying a pair of 11" wheels for the front and running 11s on all four corners. See what you can get out of them and yourself.

Although no street or Victoracer type tire will be as good as a V710 or Hoosier, trailering tires can get old for some (I include myslef in that).

The other thing you'll want to take advantage of is a good alignment. It's really not that hard to do once you've got one time under your belt and will allow you to try different things without having to rely on someone else to setup your car.

Lastly, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the springs & bars and what impact it had on handling. Also to know what suspension you had when you started. I ask because right now I've got the FE1 suspension and am trying to raise the $$$ to put the same suspension you did. Let's hear it.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:10 PM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Well thats cool that they provide a street tire class even for BSP. In that case I would go with the widest tire I could fit all the way around. I remember that 315 kumhos would rub slightly up front on really tight turns, so the 315 sumitomos may do the same.

BTW, why would you consider removing the 32mm bar if you went with 275 up front? The 32mm bar was one of the best mod I made on my 96 lt4 running in AS, and I ran 275 up front on it. Very good at reigning in the body roll that the 96 had and allowed the car to rotate nicely.
I need to give the bar another try with matching tires. The setup felt to tight it front and or to loose in the rear. I was told the combo would work better with a wider wheel up front.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:16 PM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Originally Posted by astock165
I
Lastly, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the springs & bars and what impact it had on handling. Also to know what suspension you had when you started. I ask because right now I've got the FE1 suspension and am trying to raise the $$$ to put the same suspension you did. Let's hear it.
The spring for me is great since I wanted to lower the car and since I had the soft ride 96 spring on it. I like the feel of the car now. Sunday was my first time out and the tire combo was a bad thing however I did do alot better than last year. I was almost to fast for my skill level at times if that makes any since.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:06 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Do you have 275's in the back as well or the 275/315 combo, and what's you rear bar diameter?

Some people like the 275/315 combo with the 32mm bar.
I like to run mine square 335's all around with a 30mm front bar.
I find it very neutral.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:05 PM
96CELT4
Burning Brakes

Whoops! I was mistaken. I wasn't running a 32mm bar up front. I was running the 30mm solid bar that came on the Z51 cars according to some old paper work I found. So I'll shutup now as I never ran with a 32mm bar so I'll defer to those who have. It's been over 4 years since I had my 96, so my memory wasn't to good in that regard.

Brian: Everytime I see a C4 driven hard at an event it makes me wish I had kept my 96. It's hard to put my finger on it but they just look better/faster going through a course than the Z06. Plus my Z06 just doesn't rotate like a the C4 used to, and of course the trannies and seats are crap! But I wouldn't be able to give up the Z06 either.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:26 PM
spl642
Advanced

What offset are y'all using for 11inch wheels on the front?

Get notified of new replies

To C4 autox setup help

Quick Reply: C4 autox setup help