Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 01:09 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What to do

Ok, I have done a few HPDE events and really enjoy it.

But, I cant keep tearing up my C6 as I still like to wax it and drive it on the weekends.

So, do I buy a C5 that is already set up for the track only or should i go find a nice used c5 Z06, strip it, upgrade the cooling capabilities, beef the brakes up and run it for HPDE events and maybe try SCCA.

I have about a 1000 more questions but input by all is appreciated.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you get a dedicated track car, you then need a trailer and a tow vehicle and then you find yourself driving to events in a truck instead of a Vette. It really comes down to what you want and what you can afford. If you can afford some extra expense, you could track your C6 and trade it in every year or two for a new one....might be the best of both worlds?
Old 04-03-2007, 01:22 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Miaugi
If you get a dedicated track car, you then need a trailer and a tow vehicle and then you find yourself driving to events in a truck instead of a Vette. It really comes down to what you want and what you can afford. If you can afford some extra expense, you could track your C6 and trade it in every year or two for a new one....might be the best of both worlds?
You have a good point there. I have an Excursion which makes an excellent tow vehicle and a trailer is just a spit away.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:29 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive it at the track forget about it and move on. The car is NOT a work of art, it's a machine. Get some tape and tape the front of the car and go party.

I just bought a C6Z06 for the sole purpose of track duty, my daily is a Nissan Altima.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:44 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can find a car set up or buy a cheaper C5 and mod it which becomes very expensive if you are paying all the labor. Figure what you really want to dump in the project realistically.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:52 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
you can find a car set up or buy a cheaper C5 and mod it which becomes very expensive if you are paying all the labor. Figure what you really want to dump in the project realistically.
I am the labor.

So its parts. I like your idea of buying a cheaper base C5 and going from there.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

There have been some very good posts in this section about this topic.

A lot of people seem to be of the view that the best thing is to get a beat down FRC on the cheap and then make the needed mods to come up with a great track car on the cheap.

Suggest you run a search of this section (both current and archives) and use FRC as search term.

Good luck with your quest!!
Old 04-03-2007, 03:30 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LOS ANGELES PI
I am the labor.

So its parts. I like your idea of buying a cheaper base C5 and going from there.
LAPI, hands down for what you are looking for, unless you are like me who basically wanted to be part of the build, find a used track prepped car and be done with it! If that is all I had intended, I would have gone that route and avoided all the crap I'm going through currently...but then again, I just gotta be different!

It's a plague...

Ed
Old 04-03-2007, 03:47 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Hey Ed,

You know, I met you once breifly at Spring but have run into your car MANY times at Seans.

Sorry for all the trouble your having.

Whats the status/eta of your car?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:29 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am the labor.

get your budget and list right. Then post it here and many here can tell you if you left out anything which I guess could be easy. It adds up fast glad I never tracked my expenditures What upgrades are on your list?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:29 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

You should consider doing a rental, or doing a true racing school. Make absolutely sure you enjoy wheel-to-wheel racing, including idiots cutting you off/diving inside when you're not looking, BEFORE commiting to building/buying your own car.

To me, the competition is about 80% of what I like about driving, and that's why I don't instruct many events. Without the competition, the driving gets boring very quickly to me. There are a handfull of corners in the country that give me shivers (in a good way) everytime I run them, but otherwise, without competition, it's just driving around.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:11 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ed,

You know, I met you once breifly at Spring but have run into your car MANY times at Seans.

Sorry for all the trouble your having.

Whats the status/eta of your car?
Put it this way, I won't see ya'll at the last Vette TrackDays at Spring.
For right now, I plead the 5th! Until I see if the situation will be handled appropriately. But I still stand on pre-prepped track car for where I think your head is at! I've been where you were and are now and believe I can save you some $$$/PIA times with this advice.

Ed

Last edited by AMERICANMUSL; 04-04-2007 at 12:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What to do

Quick Reply: What to do