Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vid from BMW Autox 4/1/07

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:09 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,388 Likes on 743 Posts

Default Vid from BMW Autox 4/1/07

BMW put on another fun course Sunday. This event was run at the "bus lot" on the south side of Texas Motor Speedway. About 1/4 the size of our normal site out at Mineral Wells airport, the courses are naturally tighter and slower. But they still manage to put together some quick sections.

We had a really interesting mix of cars in our class, among them being an '06 Z06 on V710s, a track only 914-6 (a go cart with a 911 engine), a trailered S2000 on either Hoosiers or V710s, and the usual cast of rally cars (an Evo and STi, V710 shod and driven by good drivers), Vettes, and Mustangs. I'm running 275 RA-1s and 315 V700s (yeah, I know, a bit of a goofy mix, but ya gotta wear 'em out!)

The 914 took FTD, and I slotted in 4th in class, 2.xxx seconds behind the 914 and the two rally cars.

Take a look at the video (no music this time!); any critiques would be welcome. The critiques from last month (not aggressive enough in the slaloms) helped a bunch, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QowaUEaL_A

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am sooo Jelous . You guys have a Nice area for autocrossing. Were you in second throughout most of the run? If so you have a very fast car. Looked clean and fast.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr

Take a look at the video (no music this time!); any critiques would be welcome.

Looks like you are not getting as close to the cones as possible. Giving up some valuable real estate.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:47 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

I know what you mean about getting close to the cones. It seems like I'm either too far away or whacking them (I picked up cones in 4 out of 8 runs).

That lot is a fun place to run. It's very clean, and no light poles to avoid.

I was in first most of the course. During my morning runs I had passengers with me, and would tap the rev limiter for a second or 2 before the end of the straights. The only time in those runs I was in 2nd was down the long, slightly wiggly middle portion (quite fun!).

In the afternoon I was running solo, and on my first run I used the same gear selection as in the morning, and between the better grip (as the course warmed up) and ligher weight I was on the limiter almost half the straights. So I started using 2nd. Wasn't in gear very long, but I was able to shave 3 full seconds off my best run in the morning heat. Amazingly my heel/toe was working pretty good. I waited until late in the braking before I downshifted, so the rev match wasn't that high.

Still got work to do on my runs, but that one was sure fun!

Thanks for the comments, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-04-2007, 03:22 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looked like a very fun course and looked smooth. I cannot tell the distances to the cones with the wide angle, so I cannot comment there.

What all is done to the FRC? NM I just saw your signature. It sounds meaner than just those mods.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:10 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Actually, there is one extra mod: I've gone to a set of Z06 Ti exhaust. Other than that, everything's in the sig.

Interesting comment you make: back when she clicked over 100K miles, our corvette club went to a local popular (not LG's) shop for a dyno day. At that time, with the stock exhaust, but the cutout airbox, she dyno'd at 319 rwhp, best of our group of stock(ish) C5s. I always attributed that number to that particular dyno, but who knows?

In my dreams I wish they'd seal Mineral Wells like the TMS bus lot. It would really cut down on the gravel machine.

Have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Vid from BMW Autox 4/1/07

Quick Reply: Vid from BMW Autox 4/1/07