Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest ALMS grids in four years coming

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 02:49 AM
micro
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biggest ALMS grids in four years coming

ALMS doesn't have any full-season privateer P2 teams and it is a Corvette parade in GT1, but the series might have the biggest grid at a regular race, the Houston street race on April 21, since the 2003 season which had around 35 cars.

Team Cytosport, lead by Greg Pickett will race an ex-Dyson Lola B06/10 with a twin-turbo AER V-8 at the Long Beach race on April 14.

P1: Five cars (replacement car confirmed by Autocon owner for Utah race in May: http://www.planetlemans.com/cmsv2/in...k=view&id=2489)

P2: Nine cars if privateer Radical SR9 makes it to the Houston race

GT1: two C6.Rs

GT2: 12 cars may make the Houston race (the Ferrari that caught fire at Sebring was taken to Italy to get fixed at least two weeks ago)

Long Beach entry list:

http://www.planetlemans.com/cmsv2/in...k=view&id=2508

Van der Steur Racing had an testing accident in early March, but they might be at the Long Beach race.

Ben Devlin led the P2 class in his # 19 Radical SR9 AER in the four hour race at Laguna Seca on October 21, 2006 for 18 mintues. He held off Romain Dumas in his factory-supported # 7 Porsche RS Spyder for around five minutes.

http://www.vandersteurracing.com/

Ben Devlin led the P2 class in his # 19 Radical SR9 AER in the four hour race at Laguna Seca on October 21, 2006 for 18 mintues. He held off Romain Dumas in his factory-supported # 7 Porsche RS Spyder for around five minutes.

A new team will race two RS Spyders and one 997 later this year.

(you'd think Porsche would be in P1 with the speed of the RS Spyder)

http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=2882
Old 04-05-2007, 08:06 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I'm pulling for the Radical. An affordable car for "every man".

Believe it or not, I think Porsche and Acura are seriously intimidated by Audi. It's a shame that major company's won't compete head to head, because nobody wants to lose. I'm sorry guys, but you can't have but one winner, and even the winner isn't impressive if they don't have good competition to beat.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:18 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

Believe it or not, I think Porsche and Acura are seriously intimidated by Audi. It's a shame that major company's won't compete head to head, because nobody wants to lose. I'm sorry guys, but you can't have but one winner, and even the winner isn't impressive if they don't have good competition to beat.
I agree whole heartedly! They are SO nervous about staining their reputation. I wasn't alive to see the great racing in the 60's and 70's but it must have been great when the big manufacturers ran head to head. I guess we won't see that in this politically need to be perfect modern day world. People are less willing to take chances and just want the "sure thing". No one wants to be held responsible for anything but a win.

I often said this is why the C6R's are racing alone, no Euro manufacturer wants to take them on (including Ferrari and Porsche) and lose. It's one thing for Porsche to lose to Ferrari, but to Chevy? The sky would start to fall!

It's almost like they all got into a big room and said, "stay out of GT1, let the Corvette's run alone and eventually, give up/run out of funding, then we will come back". Aston was the only one willing to take the challenge as they had much less to lose and only more to gain as they try to re-establish their brand.

We'll to be honest, at this point, if they got rid of GT1 completely and Corvette could bring some heavily modified street based Z06's to GT2, that would be AWESOME! I say if they don't want to show, bring the fight to their front door!
Old 04-05-2007, 02:34 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

New P1 team coming with ex-Dyson Lola

The # 20 Dyson Lola had the big crash at Petit Le Mans last year.

http://velocitymotorsports.com/gallery/v/Lola/
Old 04-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Todd Benne
Instructor

P1: Five cars (replacement car confirmed by Autocon owner for Utah race in May:
http://trackbytes.com/news.php?id=2965
Old 04-05-2007, 04:24 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey

I often said this is why the C6R's are racing alone, no Euro manufacturer wants to take them on (including Ferrari and Porsche) and lose. It's one thing for Porsche to lose to Ferrari, but to Chevy? The sky would start to fall!
There is no way porsche can compete with a GT1 car. How are you going to hang a 7.0L flat 6 over the rear axle and be competitive? They are the benchmark for GT2 and will continue to be just like Corvette is the benchmark for GT1.

Corvette racing should start campaining a P1 car. Go after Audi
Old 04-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
There is no way porsche can compete with a GT1 car. How are you going to hang a 7.0L flat 6 over the rear axle and be competitive?

Ever hear of the Carrera GT?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

Those p2 cars need to bump up to p1...some more weight, some more power, wider tires, and go. Both are not far off the pace as is

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
Ever hear of the Carrera GT?
That would be sweet!!

BTW, what ever happened to the maserati's? (aka enzo look a like). Dodge needs to setup and get the viper running....and since audi has such great success with p1, why not bring the lambo in for gt1????
Old 04-06-2007, 03:45 AM
micro
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Todd Benne
The Creation Autosportif team has big plans coming with new engine deal for 2008-2010:

(in short, a exclusive change from Judd from a 72 degree V-10 to a 90 degree V-10)

http://www.the-paddock.net/sportscar...iew/240885/49/

http://www.creationsport.co.uk/

A coupe built by KW Motorsport will be raced by them next year.

http://www.kwmotorsport.com/index.html

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
There is no way porsche can compete with a GT1 car. How are you going to hang a 7.0L flat 6 over the rear axle and be competitive? They are the benchmark for GT2 and will continue to be just like Corvette is the benchmark for GT1.

Corvette racing should start campaining a P1 car. Go after Audi
Ferrari is now the GT2 benchmark.

Last edited by micro; 04-06-2007 at 04:01 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:00 PM
UberR32
Pro

Originally Posted by micro
GT1: two C6.Rs
Old 04-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I agree whole heartedly! They are SO nervous about staining their reputation. I wasn't alive to see the great racing in the 60's and 70's but it must have been great when the big manufacturers ran head to head. I guess we won't see that in this politically need to be perfect modern day world. People are less willing to take chances and just want the "sure thing". No one wants to be held responsible for anything but a win.

It's almost like they all got into a big room and said, "stay out of GT1, let the Corvette's run alone and eventually, give up/run out of funding, then we will come back". Aston was the only one willing to take the challenge as they had much less to lose and only more to gain as they try to re-establish their brand.

We'll to be honest, at this point, if they got rid of GT1 completely and Corvette could bring some heavily modified street based Z06's to GT2, that would be AWESOME! I say if they don't want to show, bring the fight to their front door!
If you want the feel,sounds and excitement of real racing of the 60-70's . Go to a Vintage Trans Am race where the cars are orginal .Just good old wheel to wheel paint swapping racing by factory door slammers. Open pits,people just racing the way it used to be. www.generalracing.com
Old 04-06-2007, 06:40 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
Those p2 cars need to bump up to p1...some more weight, some more power, wider tires, and go. Both are not far off the pace as is
Honda/Acura plan to race in P1, perhaps by 2009.

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...1030/1031/FREE
Old 04-06-2007, 07:09 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by micro

Ferrari is now the GT2 benchmark.
YES IT IS.

And that is a mark that Porsche will not stand for.

Porsche has two classes now. GT2 and P2, why would they want to build a GT1 car?

Get notified of new replies

To Biggest ALMS grids in four years coming

Quick Reply: Biggest ALMS grids in four years coming