Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on A6 oil & trans coolers

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 11:45 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need advice on A6 oil & trans coolers

I have been modding my '06 A6 for track use and now that the weather is warming up I am dealing with overheating issues on coolant, engine oil and transmission fluid. Does anyone have experience with adding coolers or replacing the radiator or replacing it with a heat exchanger type?

Thanks, Shannon
Old 04-09-2007, 10:58 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think DeWitts has a replacement radiator with built in heat exchangers for both engine oil and auto trans fluid, they did for the C5 anyway. While this would improve the capacity, and probably be sufficient for the engine oil temperature, a secondary air to air trans cooler after the radiator heat exchanger would probably be best to control the auto trans fluid temps.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:15 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I just bought a dewitts Thursday (radiator), to help my cooling issues. I was seeing 245 coolant, 252 trans, and 300 oil. I'm expecting the new radiator to get me down to 210 coolant, 240 trans, and maybe even get the oil down to 250 (EOC installed). Cost a pretty penny though.

I have a large trans cooler now, but that isn't enough. I'm thinking the bigger radiator will help that too, as it should keep the coolant lower, so the pass through trans cooler can actually cool the trans fluid instead of heat it up.

Last edited by 2000BSME; 04-09-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:20 AM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vetracer
I have been modding my '06 A6 for track use and now that the weather is warming up I am dealing with overheating issues on coolant, engine oil and transmission fluid. Does anyone have experience with adding coolers or replacing the radiator or replacing it with a heat exchanger type?

Thanks, Shannon
I just had a Dewitts HD radiator installed in my Z51 C6. It is a very nice unit. It really does just drop in. I have not put it on a track yet but from what I see to date it has much better control of water and engine oil temp. It has over 100% increase in cooling capacity over the OEM radiator. The OEM has three plates in the oil coolers and the DeWitts has seven. Tom DeWitt said it will keep the oil temp below 280F on the track.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:24 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DeWitts is a good idea, at a 85 degree day last month I don't think I got above 210 on the track and the oil was cooler as well (even with out the EOC). I may have done it differently though, I may have NOT gotten one with the trans cooler in it. I have bypassed the radiator cooler now and only use the secondary cooler. But, now I have a new RPM trans so that may change depending on how the next track event goes. Do some searches, some have had luck bypassing the stock cooler location. I can't really say, around town it was cooler, but I think my TQ converter and tranny both were having issues when I started, so can't really say if bypassing the radiator really helped.

A DeWitts radiator will help with coolant and oil temps (even with out EOC hooked up, but still wise to get the EOC I think). Trans, I have not had much luck yet in finding that solution.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:53 PM
midnite902
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend going with a Radiator/Trans Cooler Combination from Ron Davis and an external Oil Cooler from LPE.

21st Century Musclecars just installed this Lingenfelter Oil Cooler in my car. It added a little over a quart to the capacity of my car. On the street it is a 10o drop but at higher speeds it is 15o cooler. I hope this carrys over to track perfromance. I will let you know.

It is barely noticable behind the grill.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:06 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by midnite902
I would recommend going with a Radiator/Trans Cooler Combination from Ron Davis and an external Oil Cooler from LPE.

21st Century Musclecars just installed this Lingenfelter Oil Cooler in my car. It added a little over a quart to the capacity of my car. On the street it is a 10o drop but at higher speeds it is 15o cooler. I hope this carrys over to track perfromance. I will let you know.

It is barely noticable behind the grill.

The DeWitts HD radiator has more cooling plates in the EOC & the TOC than the RD radiator does. I hope that an add on cooler would not be needed with 100% increase in cooling capacity.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:21 PM
george J
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I verified that the Z51's used at the Spring Mountain school (in *hot* Nevada) are bone stock. Admittedly manuals, but still surprising, no?Perhaps student routines are easier on the car than experienced open trackers/racers. In any case I'm going to install coolers since my temps last time (300 oil, 265 tranny) can't be good.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:24 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are many different ways of getting the temps out of the motor. The way we did the last one at the shop was this

Ron Davis radiator with right side oil cooler
Then a Setrab 625 stand alone tranny cooler.
Works great and keeps the tranny temps down

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on A6 oil & trans coolers

Quick Reply: Need advice on A6 oil & trans coolers