Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waltrip year going bad to worse

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Waltrip year going bad to worse

If the fines for cheating and failure to qualify cars isnt enough last night Waltrip was charged with reckless driving and failure to report an accident.

Guess he fell asleep driving home and rolled his SUV after trying to overcorrect a corner. He then crawled out from the window and went home.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:46 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OOPS... Police were not able to locate him that morning, but finally contacted him the next day !!!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:47 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

or he could have been drinking and that is why he didn't report it. Just a maybe. Now they are looking for a top crew chief and seems nobody wants the job on a losing team. With Toyota's desire and money they will get someone.

Michael Waltrip was charged with reckless driving and failure to report an accident following a one-car crash in Catawba County shortly before 2 a.m. Saturday morning.

Waltrip was returning from Charlotte, N.C. when he fell asleep at the wheel within a mile of his home and ran off the road, striking a telephone pole, according to a statement issued Tuesday by Michael Waltrip Racing. “I am really embarrassed about the accident, but I feel fortunate that I wasn’t hurt,” said Waltrip in the statement. “For 25 years I have had a great driving record. I consider myself to be a courteous and safe driver on public roads. I never expected to fall asleep behind the wheel of a car.”

Charlotte television station WSOC-TV, quoting the North Carolina Highway Patrol, claimed Waltrip was going about 70 miles per hour in a 55-mph zone when he went off the right side of Molly’s Backbone Road. Waltrip then went back across the left side of the road and hit a utility pole before his car overturned.

Waltrip then apparently walked home, although when state troopers arrived at his house at 2:30 a.m., no one was there, the TV station said. At 8 p.m. on Saturday night, some 18 hours after the accident, troopers returned to Waltrip’s home and found him there.

Waltrip will have to appear in court in Newton, N.C. May 14 to answer the charges.

What's unknown is whether his latest incident might have additional implications on Waltrip’s already-troubled season.

So far in 2007, his start-up team was busted with tainted fuel during Daytona 500 qualifying. After that incident, Toyota officials reportedly told their three teams — MWR, Team Red Bull and Bill Davis Racing — that they collectively had three strikes, but Waltrip burned two of them at Daytona.

Waltrip hasn’t qualified for a race since Daytona, and Domino’s and UPS, the sponsors of his team’s two other Toyotas, are delivery companies who likely will take a dim view of Waltrip crashing his personal car at 1:50 a.m. on a Saturday morning.

Boards: To discuss this article, click here

Another Teddy Kenndy move possibly?

Last edited by John Shiels; 04-11-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:50 AM
B-ras
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
or he could have been drinking and that is why he didn't report it. Just a maybe.

Another Teddy Kenndy move possibly?
No way to know for sure, but IMO it's more than likely. Even if he wanted to walk home rather than wait there for authorities, the only reason not to call and report it once he got home is because he had been drinking. Did he think no one would notice his flipped truck sitting there?

Actually, it's the smartest thing I've seen him do in years. He turned a potential career-ending crisis (DUI crash) into a minor embarassment.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

In a play on Toyota's tag line from when brother Darryll
was doing truck racing commercials for them
"Toyota, the newest member of the NEXTEL CUP Series and proud of it.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

It's smart... but it screams DUI to me. Like allready said... it's only a minor embarassment now whereas a DUI crash would have been far worse for him.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:05 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

It takes a lot to be a team owner. Few EX-Drives are cut out for that end of the business.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:23 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

How does one over correct when sleeping???
Old 04-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by vetteshop
Wake up mid crash.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

There was a report several weeks ago about how prevalent sleeping at the wheel has become. A fair number of drivers have thought they could make it the last couple of miles to home or a rest area and have fallen asleep before they got there. This is attributed to our current life style where everybody thinks they can get more done by sleeping less. What we have is a lot of very tired people driving cars.

However, the penalty for falling asleep at the wheel is about the same as drunk driving. If you are sleepy you are definitely impaired (maybe more so than somebody who has had two drinks in an hour). If you go to sleep you are in a pilotless missile that can do a lot of damage to yourself and others. People have to realize if they are tired they should not drive.

I can see Waltrip being tired. He is under the gun running his teams. They are not performing well and he does not have a crew chief for his own team. That generates a lot of stress and probably some long hours at the shop. Lack of sleep along combined with stress may also be why his team hasn't been performing well. Then he gets behind the wheel to go home and his body is on the verge of collapse and once he is in that seat he is faced with the boring task of driving home.

How many of us have taken a few micro naps while driving and just kept driving thinking we can handle it?

Bill
Old 04-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
How many of us have taken a few micro naps while driving and just kept driving thinking we can handle it?

Bill
At 2 AM on Saturday?

If anything happens to me, I want you as my attorney, Bill!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteshop

Over correct is what we do when we over sleep.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:21 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
At 2 AM on Saturday?

If anything happens to me, I want you as my attorney, Bill!
where was he with the team at the shop? There should be a ton of witnesses He might have been drinking some where but he better hope it was at a good friends house. Then again if you had his team and couldn't qualify you may start drinking too.

Get notified of new replies

To Waltrip year going bad to worse

Quick Reply: Waltrip year going bad to worse