Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Trailor Hitch Options

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 11:58 AM
96lt4cevette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Trailor Hitch Options

So I ordered a hitch from Uhaul, and waited (wasted) a week for them to get the part here. This morning, after I drop the car off they call me and say they cant do it. They dont have anyone who knows WTF their doing.

"It has an ALUMINUM FRAME!!!" The guy tells me.
"No $hit Sherlock" escaped my lips before I continued "I respect that you at least called me when you realized you were in over your head."
</rant>

What have the other C4 owners done?

The options are to drill 8 holes in the frame, potentially weakening the frame, and bolt this one in, OR to have a welding shop tig one onto the frame.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:29 PM
z28cp
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Umm.... I am not absolutely 100% sure, but I don't believe the C4 frame is aluminum...

Mine sure doesn't seem to be...

DaveZ.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:11 PM
shotchkiss
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drill the holes and bolt it on.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:58 PM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put one of these in my 86 last month. The frame is aluminum, but that makes drilling the holes easier. Some advice; don't wait until the night before a track day like I did, this may take longer than it looks. The rear holes that go through the bottom and top of the frame are the hardest. I had to egg out the bottom holes to get the bolt through. A little more time lining things up would have helped. In the end it worked slick. I had no problems towing my track tires the 80 miles to Thunderhill.

Have fun,Paul
Old 04-11-2007, 02:39 PM
96lt4cevette
Intermediate

I picked up the hitch and car, the good news is he gave me the hitch for cheaper than I could have got it elsewhere. I called Curt, the manufacturer of the hitch and had them email me installation instructions. It seriously looks to be 60 minutes at the most, but you may need 2 people, one to hold the hitch steady in place while marking the holes. Thanks for the vote of confidence guys =)
Old 04-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Red Guts
Burning Brakes

I did one years ago, and I just happen to be doing another this weekend. The one I have requires 6 holes. The subframe is aluminum. All the easier to drill into. Your car will not fall apart. The kit I have includes steel inserts where the bolts attach. I used some clamps to hold it in place while marking holes. It's a pretty easy job.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Trailor Hitch Options

Quick Reply: C4 Trailor Hitch Options