Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft pedal problems with C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 11:34 PM
jlvink66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Soft pedal problems with C6 Z06

In the last few months I replaced my front C6 Z06 calipers/rotors with a set of Stoptech 6-piston calipers and rotors. After doing multiple bleeds using a Motive Power Bleeder, I still have too much brake pedal travel. I have talked to the Stoptech guys and they think it is either air in the master cylinder or the ABS system. I have done a master cylinder bleed according to the factory instructions, but this did not help. I don't have the electronic tool to activate the ABS system while bleeding. The symptons are that after a bleed and hitting the brakes with the engine off, the pedal stays rock hard. When I start the car with the foot still on the pedal, the pedal almost travels all the way to the floor. Could this be air in the ABS system or something else?

Thanks for any help!
John
Old 04-12-2007, 07:50 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Get someone with a Tech2 to do a complete bleed sequence for you. If there is air in the ABS you have no other foolproof way to get it out.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:41 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I have seen this at the track plenty of times, people would get there fluid hot on the track and there ABS would activate and they would have nothing but problems, that's why I bring a Tech 2 with me to the track now.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:43 AM
jlvink66
Pro

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Get someone with a Tech2 to do a complete bleed sequence for you. If there is air in the ABS you have no other foolproof way to get it out.
Yea, thats my next step if I can't figure it out. Any explanation on why the pedal goes down only if the car is started?

Thanks
John
Old 04-12-2007, 10:25 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

if there is air in the ABS release valves (they "give" to unlock a locked wheel), it would only be noticable when the ABS engages, such as when it cycles at startup.

I don't know if that is your problem, but if there is any doubt, doing a tech2 bleed is certainly a good idea.

Assuming you got the C6-specific setup from Stoptech, the calipers definitely aren't the problem. Their kits are the only properly matched calipers on the market, and I would trust them above all else.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:52 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Assuming you got the C6-specific setup from Stoptech, the calipers definitely aren't the problem. Their kits are the only properly matched calipers on the market, and I would trust them above all else.
My buddy just bought the hole setup from LG Motorsports. They installed it too. Four calipers and rotors. He had a soft pedal both days at the track. He bleed it many times. The pedal would be hard in some turns and other times it would almost go to the floor. LG sent someone down to L.A. where the car is now to check it out. He had some motor problems also from them. This was on a 06 Z06.

Steve
Old 04-13-2007, 08:31 PM
jlvink66
Pro

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
My buddy just bought the hole setup from LG Motorsports. They installed it too. Four calipers and rotors. He had a soft pedal both days at the track. He bleed it many times. The pedal would be hard in some turns and other times it would almost go to the floor. LG sent someone down to L.A. where the car is now to check it out.
Steve
Was there any resolution to the pedal problem? Can I contact your friend?

John
Old 04-14-2007, 11:30 AM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jlvink66
Was there any resolution to the pedal problem? Can I contact your friend?

John
Terry is at the track this weekend. I hope they fixed it. Here is his e-mail.

shongovet@aol.com

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Soft pedal problems with C6 Z06

Quick Reply: Soft pedal problems with C6 Z06