Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 c6/Z06 TPM issues resolved?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 08:09 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Default C6 c6/Z06 TPM issues resolved?

I know my 2005 didn't have any problem, gave me a warning, but didn't shut anything down.

Can you run a c6 without TPM's now, or not??? Can you just "park" next to the OEM wheels between sessions, and make things happy??

I'm thinking about sticking a set of my race rims on a friends C6Z06, but won't do much good if we can only go 50mph!

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2007, 08:32 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,

I've heard different stories... some say you can, some say... no-way.

Seems likely that you... MAY... get away without adding the pressure sensors on the early 06 models. Only way to be sure is... try running without the sensors and see.

I've installed the sensors in my track wheels and bought a programing unit.

It is nice to see what your tire pressure is doing... going from cold tires to hot.

Let us know how you do.

Last edited by trumper Z06; 04-17-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Z06_505
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I know my 2005 didn't have any problem, gave me a warning, but didn't shut anything down.

Can you run a c6 without TPM's now, or not??? yes, I have a 2006 built in Oct 2005 Can you just "park" next to the OEM wheels between sessions, and make things happy?? yes
I'm thinking about sticking a set of my race rims on a friends C6Z06, but won't do much good if we can only go 50mph!

Thanks!
After 30 miles w/o the sensors, I get a "service tire monitor" DIC message. Every time I start the car, I get the message. As long as I hit the reset button within 5 seconds of starting the car, I can get all driving modes. If I don't do it quick enough or forget, then I can't get into comp mode or turn AH and TC completely off. I then have to turn off then engine and restart. When the wheels and tires with the TPM's are near the car at the track, the service monitor problem is reset but will pop up during a session after the noted mileage. It does not affect anything when this happens while on the track.

This has been my experience, but as noted, others have not been so lucky. Trying is the only way to know for sure that I know of.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:29 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the tool for $140 and a extra set of sensors. The problem is that depending on the date your car was made, it may or may not be a problem. I certainly don't want to spend $300 for a track day and hotel to find out I can even drive at the track, so I broke down and bought the sensors and tool.

I am going to try it without reseting the sensors to see what happens, if all is well, I figure I will sell the tool to someone who needs it.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:53 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Thanks guys, guess we'll just try it. He doesn't want to run sticky tires exclusively, as that gets into the cycle of needing more brakes, then more brake cooling, better rotors...etc. Just want to be able to slip a set of R's on for a session or two, then put the street tires back on for the bulk of the event.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:50 PM
DoingOK
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

Originally Posted by Z06_505
After 30 miles w/o the sensors, I get a "service tire monitor" DIC message. Every time I start the car, I get the message. As long as I hit the reset button within 5 seconds of starting the car, I can get all driving modes. If I don't do it quick enough or forget, then I can't get into comp mode or turn AH and TC completely off. I then have to turn off then engine and restart. When the wheels and tires with the TPM's are near the car at the track, the service monitor problem is reset but will pop up during a session after the noted mileage. It does not affect anything when this happens while on the track.

This has been my experience, but as noted, others have not been so lucky. Trying is the only way to know for sure that I know of.
That's exactly what happens to me.

I now have three sets of sensors on three sets of wheels and a Bartec tool.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 c6/Z06 TPM issues resolved?

Quick Reply: C6 c6/Z06 TPM issues resolved?