Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft for the track

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:38 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Camshaft for the track

I am about to do a head cam swap on my LS2.

Whats a good cam for the track?
Old 04-22-2007, 10:02 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

if it's track only, the GM ASA cam is pretty good. However, you need open exhaust. For a street-able cam, I'd call LG or Lingenfelter for recommendations.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:06 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
if it's track only, the GM ASA cam is pretty good. However, you need open exhaust. For a street-able cam, I'd call LG or Lingenfelter for recommendations.
Thanks David.

BTW, thanks for your web site with specs. It has proven invaluable and it is sure appreciated.

As to the cam, I am looking for something that does more to the upper mid range than the top.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:07 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Thanks David.

BTW, thanks for your web site with specs. It has proven invaluable and it is sure appreciated.

As to the cam, I am looking for something that does more to the upper mid range than the top. It is mainly steet with the monthly or so HPDE.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:47 AM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will post the results of a package we just finished. It was geared towards autocrossing with a goal of good low end torque and midrange power.

It makes ~ 380 rwtq at 2600 rpms , and peaks 430 rwtq at 4800. This was on a cam only setup with a FAST, so adding an AFR or the like will only help.

Ill post the graph tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Louis
Old 04-24-2007, 01:56 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LOS ANGELES PI
Thanks David.

As to the cam, I am looking for something that does more to the upper mid range than the top. It is mainly steet with the monthly or so HPDE.
Ohhhh boy...Look whose got bitten!...go for race seat, suspension and alignment...my suggestion but if you must, consider valve springs, track tune(increase rev limit) and stick with a cam that will pass smog.

My .02

You soooo craaaaazy!

Good luck---Ed
Old 04-24-2007, 09:59 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AMERICANMUSL
Ohhhh boy...Look whose got bitten!...go for race seat, suspension and alignment...my suggestion but if you must, consider valve springs, track tune(increase rev limit) and stick with a cam that will pass smog.

My .02

You soooo craaaaazy!

Good luck---Ed
Well, thanks Ed. Your right. I just wanted a little more oomph for the straights. Gettin old drag racing a Z only to have to follow through the next corner.

So, I ordered Precision Racing Heads, Patriot Gold Springs, yada yada. I went with the old reliable 224/228 .581/.588 114 LSA 3 deg adv cam.

Going to the Dewitt radiator.

Since I seem to enjoy a mainly street sometime HPDE combo, I am sticking with the stock seats but gonna get a hard bar, harness and a dickstrap to hold it accross my chest.

As to suspension, I have been hangin it out with the Pfadt setup and dig the options it gives me for all the different environments I seem to be putting the car in.

I GOTTA SEE YOUR DOG RUN !!!! What is the ETA??
Old 04-24-2007, 10:01 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
I will post the results of a package we just finished. It was geared towards autocrossing with a goal of good low end torque and midrange power.

It makes ~ 380 rwtq at 2600 rpms , and peaks 430 rwtq at 4800. This was on a cam only setup with a FAST, so adding an AFR or the like will only help.

Ill post the graph tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Louis
Louis,

I would love to see the graph.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:31 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

I didnt start the pull higher on the 450 run.

Mods are stock for dyno 1, the middle dyno is LG Pro LTs+G5x1 cam kit+Under drive pully+3" Catback and a tune

Top dyno is all of the above plus a fast

380 rwtq below 3k rpms is a realll kick in the pants. We chose this cam because the goal of the customer was 1) No big RPM 2) good torque everywhere 3) Idle well.

It needs a bit more idle tuning, but it drives excellent with minimal surge.

Thanks

Louis
Old 04-24-2007, 01:41 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

We offer several levels of camshafts that would fit your needs, if your interested feel free to call and discuss. There are several people on these boards running very well with them.
We have tried countless different selections and our latest grind has far surpassed our own expectations. Add some Trick Flow heads and we are averaging 500rwhp through cats.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Hans Delbruck
Pro

You Vette guys have the fastest cars AS IS, but you need MORE power?????

Who cares if someone pulls ahead of you on the straights -- it doesn't mean they're a better driver.

Once you add more power, those who have less power will just say the only reason you're running faster times than they are is because of the car! Not because you are any good yourself! Just like I say to ALL of the Vette guys who pass me!

-off soapbox-
Old 04-24-2007, 02:34 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

I think it was Mark Dismore that said (paraphrased) "you have enough power when you can smoke the tires all the way from one corner to the other."

Actually, this is exactly what I'm thinking about for my autocross. Someone wants to rant at me for beating them only because I've got the faster car, I'll let them, so long as I beat them.

Louis, one really dumb question: what engine was used in this run, LS-2 or LS-6?

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ I'm 99% sure those are LS2 numbers taking advantage of the larger bore.

I'm running a G5-X2 cam on a 114 LSA now... can't wait to get out on track in June
Old 04-24-2007, 05:14 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
We offer several levels of camshafts that would fit your needs, if your interested feel free to call and discuss. There are several people on these boards running very well with them.
We have tried countless different selections and our latest grind has far surpassed our own expectations. Add some Trick Flow heads and we are averaging 500rwhp through cats.
Ran limerock so far, not long enough to wind it out, but Watkins glen theis coming Monday and Tuesday, 4/30-5/1. Can't wait for the esses and the back straight.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:17 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
You Vette guys have the fastest cars AS IS, but you need MORE power?????

Who cares if someone pulls ahead of you on the straights -- it doesn't mean they're a better driver.

Once you add more power, those who have less power will just say the only reason you're running faster times than they are is because of the car! Not because you are any good yourself! Just like I say to ALL of the Vette guys who pass me!

-off soapbox-
A lot of people mumbled that very sentiment last year when I was stock, the'yre reallly gonna be pizzed this year. But at Limerock I did hear a few of the P-guys actually say that they consider the z one of the most capable cars for road course right out of the box.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:39 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

It is an LS2, you are correct
Old 04-24-2007, 05:54 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Originally Posted by LOS ANGELES PI
Well, thanks Ed. Your right. I just wanted a little more oomph for the straights. Gettin old drag racing a Z only to have to follow through the next corner.

So, I ordered Precision Racing Heads, Patriot Gold Springs, yada yada. I went with the old reliable 224/228 .581/.588 114 LSA 3 deg adv cam.

Going to the Dewitt radiator.

Since I seem to enjoy a mainly street sometime HPDE combo, I am sticking with the stock seats but gonna get a hard bar, harness and a dickstrap to hold it accross my chest.

As to suspension, I have been hangin it out with the Pfadt setup and dig the options it gives me for all the different environments I seem to be putting the car in.

I GOTTA SEE YOUR DOG RUN !!!! What is the ETA??

If you find out, please let me know!

Sounds good but seriously, get a race seat with a good harness...once set up, will take you 5 minutes to switch back and forth...the feedback the car tells you is night and day between the 2.

Ed

Get notified of new replies

To Camshaft for the track

Old 04-24-2007, 08:59 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
It is an LS2, you are correct
Thanks Louis.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:21 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 262/262 659 lift on a 104 LSA. This cam made 585 RWHP in 383 using hand ported 98 heads in 1998 with 1.75 headers

Just kidding,
Randy
Old 04-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
I think it was Mark Dismore that said (paraphrased) "you have enough power when you can smoke the tires all the way from one corner to the other."

Mike
You're very close! It was Mark Donahue that said that, and he was referring to his 1973 Porsche 917/30 twin-turbo flat twelve CanAm car that could put down up to 1,500 hp with full boost. THAT car could leave two black stripes of rubber between corners!

Quick Reply: Camshaft for the track