Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS: Corvette Racing considers its future

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 05:06 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALMS: Corvette Racing considers its future

Corvette Racing Considers Its Future

AutoWeek | Published 04/25/07, 12:46 pm et

Corvette Racing could step down from the GT1 class to GT2 to compete against Porsche and Ferrari if no GT1 opposition materializes soon in the American Le Mans Series. Chevrolet has been left to race against itself in the ALMS GT1 class this year after the factory Prodrive Aston Martin team was unable to put together a full-season effort.

Corvette program manager Doug Fehan said that building a GT2 version of the car is one option open for next season. Another option is to take the C6.Rs to race in the European-based Le Mans Series.

“Since we started planning the Corvette program in 1996, we have continuously evaluated a wide variety of arenas in which the car could race,” Fehan said. “I can’t say we are leaning toward GT2, although all the homework is done.”

Fehan denied that the Pratt & Miller factory team will test a GT2-spec Corvette this summer. He stressed, however, that Chevrolet could only justify competing against itself in the ALMS for one season.

Fehan maintained that Prodrive-campaigned Aston Martin Racing will return to the ALMS before the end of the season. He suggested that the team could return for the new Detroit race in September.

Rumors that Aston Martin’s new owners have signed off on an ALMS comeback were dismissed by AMR’s George Howard-Chappell. “It is possible but by no means planned,” he said.

----

The DBR9s that raced last year were run by the factory Prodrive team, but not funded by Aston Martin.

IMSA gives no money to full factory and factory supported teams.

Check this link of official race results from the 4 hour race in 2005 at Laguna Seca.

http://www.imsaracing.net/2003/event...ficialRace.pdf
Old 04-25-2007, 05:28 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then so be it...if no one wants to bring the fight to us, let's bring it to them. I think the Z06 is a PERFECT car to bring in GT2.

I can't see them running Euro Le Mans...no one in the US can watch the races on TV. Think about the thousands of US based Corvette fans which watch ALMS soley for the Corvette. These are the folks that are buying the cars, not the Euro market. While it would be good for them to increase their coverage in Europe, doing it at the expense of the their bread and butter US market would be a bad business call. They need both, and the GT2 class does this. It still gets them in Le Mans and enables them to race in ALMS.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:46 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Contact the ALMS at the link about Corvettes in GT2

http://www.americanlemans.com/series/contact.aspx

Pratt & Miller's website

http://www.prattmiller.com/
Old 04-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Fi96
Advanced

There are many US fans who watch ALMS to see the Corvettes. It wouldnt make sense to pull out of ALMS. GT2 has the largest fields and most competition. It would be fun to go head to head with Porsche and Ferrari.

They already have a dominant GT1 car so it would be easy to race it in the Europe LMS. They could expand their coverage in Europe and keep the program running. Then if someone decided to enter GT1 in ALMS they could always bring the cars back from Europe.

I think it would be cool to see them running both series but it would be expensive. If I had to chose I would rather see them in GT2 in ALMS than GT1 in Europe.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:25 AM
micro
Melting Slicks

but there are already C5-Rs and C6.Rs in the three series that allow GT1 cars in Europe (French GT, FIA GT, and the Le Mans Series).
Old 04-26-2007, 09:18 AM
RMVette06
Instructor

I agree they should go to GT2 but... You all know you want to see a 900HP monster vette overtake the prototype cars
Old 04-26-2007, 11:01 AM
BBQ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GT2
Old 04-27-2007, 01:35 AM
micro
Melting Slicks

but then what if you took off the engine restrictors of the LMP engines. The 5.0 liter Judd V-10 would make over 800 hp without restrictors and AER's twin-turbo V-8 would have over (dailysportscar.com) 1,000 hp without restrictors.

Either way, that is a lot for a gearbox to handle.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/juddgv510.html

new, 5.5 liter Judd V-10

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/aerturbolmp1v8.html

Old 04-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Black C5 Z06
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Then so be it...if no one wants to bring the fight to us, let's bring it to them. I think the Z06 is a PERFECT car to bring in GT2.

I can't see them running Euro Le Mans...no one in the US can watch the races on TV. Think about the thousands of US based Corvette fans which watch ALMS soley for the Corvette. These are the folks that are buying the cars, not the Euro market. While it would be good for them to increase their coverage in Europe, doing it at the expense of the their bread and butter US market would be a bad business call. They need both, and the GT2 class does this. It still gets them in Le Mans and enables them to race in ALMS.
Yeah, I tune in every weekend, I can't imagine not being able to see the coolest car in the world racing.
Originally Posted by micro
but there are already C5-Rs and C6.Rs in the three series that allow GT1 cars in Europe (French GT, FIA GT, and the Le Mans Series).
Yeah there are, and we still don't get to see them!!!
Originally Posted by RMVette06
I agree they should go to GT2 but... You all know you want to see a 900HP monster vette overtake the prototype cars
Now that, my friend, would be awesome!!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:35 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

I'd love to see either Corvette run a GT2 or race in Europe. This racing against itself dog aint gonna hunt.

On one hand, I want to see them stay in the ALMS in GT2 and the competition would be fantastic now that the Ferrari is competitive with the Porsche. OTOH, I'd love to see a "finely tuned machine" like P&M take it to Europe and kick their ***** on their home turf.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:48 AM
micro
Melting Slicks

The F430 GTC was competitive last year.

Contact the ALMS about a GT2 Corvette

http://www.americanlemans.com/series/contact.aspx

Get notified of new replies

To ALMS: Corvette Racing considers its future

Quick Reply: ALMS: Corvette Racing considers its future