Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melling 10296 Oil Pump..which spring you guys using?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 437 Likes on 234 Posts

Default Melling 10296 Oil Pump..which spring you guys using?

I just purchased a Melling High Volume Oil pump. It comes with two springs a blue one for normal pressure and a red one for high pressure.

I figured most of you guys use oil coolers...I eliminated my oil cooler, but have since decided to reinstall it.

So I was wondering if anybody was using the red spring (high pressure) in combination with their oil cooler.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
I just purchased a Melling High Volume Oil pump. It comes with two springs a blue one for normal pressure and a red one for high pressure.

I figured most of you guys use oil coolers...I eliminated my oil cooler, but have since decided to reinstall it.

So I was wondering if anybody was using the red spring (high pressure) in combination with their oil cooler.
I don't have an answer...but congrats on your mods. Very Slick.

I remember your coupe and motor/motors mods.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:47 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I can't imagine the pressure being so high that it would damage anything. In general, you run the stiffer spring so that you have more pressure at high temps, ie on track. The bad side is your cold oil pressure is higher than needed.

Basically, the cooler might cool the oil enough that you don't need the extra pressure.

Do they give any specs on the pressure variance??? Is this for a C5/C6? Per GM racing recommendations, I shim my stock pump 125-150/1000th's"
Old 04-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I can't imagine the pressure being so high that it would damage anything. In general, you run the stiffer spring so that you have more pressure at high temps, ie on track. The bad side is your cold oil pressure is higher than needed.

Basically, the cooler might cool the oil enough that you don't need the extra pressure.

Do they give any specs on the pressure variance??? Is this for a C5/C6? Per GM racing recommendations, I shim my stock pump 125-150/1000th's"
If it works per GM Racing I'm sure its good. Its for my C5. I will just sell my ported Katech pump...it is in perfect working condition.

I think the Melling is quite a bit different then the modded LS6. I thought about shimming my Katech LS6 but from what I could gather that is more for cracking pressure.

I believe the larger gerator is responsible for producing more volume and then the different springs control the cracking pressure (bypass).

I know that when I ran my Ron Davis Rad with integral oil cooler, and twin turbos that the oil pressure went down to like 20 at idle...oil temp 195-200*. I am going with an Air to Air Oil cooler this time and the -10 fittings and hose are going to flow a lot of oil.

I just don't want to see 140psi like some of these guys claim they are with the LQ4 pump.

Non track oil temps for me without the oil cooler have been between 205-230. I know my turbos are heating up my oil some.

I just refreshed my motor with new bearings, so the only way I could really tell would be to put it back together with the blue spring, check the pressure, then remove the oil pump and stick in the red spring and see what it goes to.

Just seem like a lot of work..figured somebody in the Autocross/Road race section might have tried it all ready.

Originally Posted by Bink
I don't have an answer...but congrats on your mods. Very Slick.

I remember your coupe and motor/motors mods.
Sometimes I really miss that 97 Coupe with H&C. Thanks for remembering.

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 04-26-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:01 PM
BLOWNZO6
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Kevin,
I just came across this looking for something else, but just so you know I run a melling 10296 with the RED spring.

Nick
Old 06-17-2007, 01:25 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BLOWNZO6
Hey Kevin,
I just came across this looking for something else, but just so you know I run a melling 10296 with the RED spring.

Nick
I went ahead and used the Red spring based on your input....man....I have 5w-30 and it was 104* outide....on a 2 hour ride in that heat my oil temps got up to 260* no oil cooler (yet)....I was still getting 40psi at idle....crazy difference between this pump and my old Katech ported pump......
Old 06-18-2007, 07:06 AM
BLOWNZO6
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
I went ahead and used the Red spring based on your input....man....I have 5w-30 and it was 104* outide....on a 2 hour ride in that heat my oil temps got up to 260* no oil cooler (yet)....I was still getting 40psi at idle....crazy difference between this pump and my old Katech ported pump......
Cool, glad it worked out for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Melling 10296 Oil Pump..which spring you guys using?

Quick Reply: Melling 10296 Oil Pump..which spring you guys using?