Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Day/HPDE Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:18 PM
80shilling
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Day/HPDE Brake Pads

After checking out the search function and the FAQ, I am looking for some ideas about brake pads for track days... I absolutely can't stomach paying nearly half a thousand dollars for pads!!! I was SHOCKED by the prices for PFC and Hawk pads... I am being quoted $450.00 to almost $500.00 for a set!!!! Does anyone have any ideas on other choices of pads that are in the realm of affordable, OR do any of you have sources for the aforementioned pads at sane prices?

Any ideas and help will be much appreciated.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:55 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I think you were looking at C6 Z06 pad prices. For the C5 about the most you could spend is about $250.

Carbotech seems to be the best value IMHO.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:07 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

PFC-01 or DTC-70. As far as cost. Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but racing is very expensive. It's a fact. And rotors are consumable items (not just pads). I was once told that you should be prepared financially to walk away from your totaled car on the first lap of your first race. If you can't do that, you are not prepared to race.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:00 PM
80shilling
Instructor

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
PFC-01 or DTC-70. As far as cost. Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but racing is very expensive. It's a fact. And rotors are consumable items (not just pads). I was once told that you should be prepared financially to walk away from your totaled car on the first lap of your first race. If you can't do that, you are not prepared to race.
I've been racing Cars, Motorcycles and Karts for 20+ years... My last track car was a Porsche (which, by the way, I totalled at Sears Point, so YES, I'm prepared to TOTAL my Car and walk away), so I'm used to paying big bucks for parts and consumables, but $500.00 for a set of pads floored me.. I was paying about $300.00 a set for Big Red pads (Pagid Orange) I was hoping the C5 ZO6 was going to be at least the same or slightly better... I mean $500.00?? It was for the C5 ZO6 by the way, NOT the C6... Any vendors on this site want my business? Anything in the $250.00 to $300.00 range out there?

I'll try pricing out the Carbotechs.. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carbotech seems to be the best value IMHO.[/QUOTE]

You wont go wrong with the Carbo's. A search will show you that a lot of us use them and the NAPA rotors. With what you save you can do another track day or two

good luck.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Cbntmn
Racer

I was using DT70s and looked for a cheaper alternative. Used carbotechs this weekend and found them to work great, and I believe i paid right at 200 bucks for the fronts.

Rotors are less than 25 bucks a peice at napa. stock up, you will need them with an agressive pad. But you use em up and throw them out.

And by the way, if you total your car on the first lap of a HPDE they put you in the wrong class. You shouldnt have to walk away from a totaled car. Hell im not "prepared" to walk away from a totaled car, and I dont think anybody else going to HPDEs is "prepared" for that.
Now I have not done a ton of them, only about 20, but ive never seen a "totaled" car there. A few bumpers torn off, a couple of crunched fenders, and maybe a trunk with some serious closure issues. He said track days, not full out W2W racing. Give this poor guy a break.

Also I go through the rotors and the pads in two days. I drive pretty hard and dont worry to much about the wear on the brakes. So be prepared to spend about 350 per every 2 days or so on pads and front rotors. The rotors will heat up and crack, and there isnt much you can do about it. The rear ones last longer, but not to much longer. Maybe another two days, depending on your driving.

One thing you might consider is looking for some used pads. I baught about three sets of DT70s from a forum member with more than 80 pct pad for less that half of what they would be new. 80 pct may get you through two days.

Have fun.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:40 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have seen plenty of totaled cars at HPDE track days. at lease 1 per event average.
even some parked cars !!! completely totaled. that is however rare.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
Carbotech seems to be the best value IMHO.
You wont go wrong with the Carbo's. A search will show you that a lot of us use them and the NAPA rotors. With what you save you can do another track day or two

good luck.[/QUOTE]

I've been using Carbotech pads for quite some time and have always been very pleased with them.

http://www.ctbrakes.com
Old 04-25-2007, 11:59 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Carbotech pricing...
http://www.ctbrakes.com/pads/chevy.html

C6 Z06 is a bit spendy for pads, but everyone else is under $201 for a set. I just ordered another set the other day.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:29 AM
80shilling
Instructor

Originally Posted by qwik96GS
Carbotech pricing...
http://www.ctbrakes.com/pads/chevy.html

C6 Z06 is a bit spendy for pads, but everyone else is under $201 for a set. I just ordered another set the other day.
Thanks for the link.. I think I'll try the XP12's front and the XP10's rear...

All the advice is much appreciated, thanks guys...
Old 04-26-2007, 12:34 AM
80shilling
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cbntmn
I was using DT70s and looked for a cheaper alternative. Used carbotechs this weekend and found them to work great, and I believe i paid right at 200 bucks for the fronts.

Rotors are less than 25 bucks a peice at napa. stock up, you will need them with an agressive pad. But you use em up and throw them out.

And by the way, if you total your car on the first lap of a HPDE they put you in the wrong class. You shouldnt have to walk away from a totaled car. Hell im not "prepared" to walk away from a totaled car, and I dont think anybody else going to HPDEs is "prepared" for that.
Now I have not done a ton of them, only about 20, but ive never seen a "totaled" car there. A few bumpers torn off, a couple of crunched fenders, and maybe a trunk with some serious closure issues. He said track days, not full out W2W racing. Give this poor guy a break.

Also I go through the rotors and the pads in two days. I drive pretty hard and dont worry to much about the wear on the brakes. So be prepared to spend about 350 per every 2 days or so on pads and front rotors. The rotors will heat up and crack, and there isnt much you can do about it. The rear ones last longer, but not to much longer. Maybe another two days, depending on your driving.

One thing you might consider is looking for some used pads. I baught about three sets of DT70s from a forum member with more than 80 pct pad for less that half of what they would be new. 80 pct may get you through two days.

Have fun.
About two years ago during a NASA Group4 HPDE at Sears/Infineon, I was driving my 440 RWHP 944 Turbo through the Esses (turn 8a to be precise) and had a water line come off my Turbo.. it puked water straight under my left front wheel and I went instantly backwards into the hill at full speed... My prior lap, I had just turned a 1:49, which is fairly fast if you know what the Lap times at Sears/Infineon are... The entire car apart from the engine and the front wheels were a complete write off...
Old 04-26-2007, 06:48 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

No clue where you guys are seeing 200/set pads - more like 200/pair, ~350/set for carbo's. The carbotechs just don't last very long, so I'm not sure how economical they are in the long run. Wilwood H's by far lasted the longest. At least our rotors are cheap!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:02 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by freefall
No clue where you guys are seeing 200/set pads - more like 200/pair, ~350/set for carbo's. The carbotechs just don't last very long, so I'm not sure how economical they are in the long run. Wilwood H's by far lasted the longest. At least our rotors are cheap!
cost per mile not per pad
Old 04-26-2007, 07:04 AM
96LT1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CarboTech gives discounts to CorvetteForum and NASA members. Not sure which is better or if the discount is the same. Be sure to mention that when ordering pads.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:19 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

PFC-01 or DTC-70. As far as cost. Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but racing is very expensive. It's a fact.
Just drive slower and brake sooner. Stock C5 Z06 pads, Dot 4 brake fluid, Brake at 6 instead of 3 or 4

ppl Say the Carbotechs would work but I also agree with Freefall. Some guys like the carbos some guys dont. Carbos seem to last only one good weekend, vs the Wilwood H or PFC-01s lasted 3 to 5 weekends depending on the conditions. Rotors are just lunch meat.

I was once told that you should be prepared financially to walk away from your totaled car on the first lap of your first race. If you can't do that, you are not prepared to race.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 04-26-2007 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Cbntmn
Racer

Sorry but I gotta disagree with the brake sooner stuff.

Im out there to have fun yes, but I also want to push my limits a tad and improve my driving. If I can afford a 35k car and all that goes along with it i should be able to afford 350.00 per event on some brake parts.

I know that the totaled car stuff happens, i just have not seen it at one of the events I have been to. Ive seen damage and flat beds hauling undrivable cars away, but never a total loss.

I was on youtube looking at race videos the other night. There is a definate difference on how some HPDEs are run compared to others.

One had a z06 at a track, the guy is in short sleave shirt, he says it was his first time on a track, and he is passing in the corners, no point bys, and generally doing things by a completly different set of rules than what im used to. I have to believe that events that are run like that would ad to the amount of cars that become damaged at events.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:56 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbntmn
Sorry but I gotta disagree with the brake sooner stuff.

Im out there to have fun yes, but I also want to push my limits a tad and improve my driving. If I can afford a 35k car and all that goes along with it i should be able to afford 350.00 per event on some brake parts.
We all agree. Run fast, run hard. and pay for the right parts.

I was on youtube looking at race videos the other night. There is a definate difference on how some HPDEs are run compared to others.

One had a z06 at a track, the guy is in short sleave shirt, he says it was his first time on a track, and he is passing in the corners, no point bys, and generally doing things by a completly different set of rules than what im used to. I have to believe that events that are run like that would ad to the amount of cars that become damaged at events.
Could you PM me those links? I always like to look at videos and talk to ppl on how differnt HPDEs are run. That way I can look and hear what is good and great, and what NOT TO DO.

I do know things are run much differntly depading on if you live in the west or east coasts, the number of instructors, and if it is a true DE or just a track / lapping day. Events are set up differnently, which is a good thing.

TIA
Tom
Old 04-26-2007, 08:06 AM
96LT1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always get a laugh out of these threads about which pad is better.

I brake late and I brake hard. I want a pad that gives a good hard initial bite and a smooth release. If I can get that I don't care whether the pads last for a single 2 day weekend or for 4 weekends.

I use 'el cheapo' rotors from RockAuto so I could care less whether the pad is hard on rotors. The rotors are going to heat crack before the pads wear them out anyway.

When asked by my students which is the best pad I tell them "Get the most aggressive pad you can and try different manufacturers (PFC, CarboTech, Wilwood). You find one that works for you."

Get notified of new replies

To Track Day/HPDE Brake Pads

Quick Reply: Track Day/HPDE Brake Pads