Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Disabling ABS..any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Charles Scavone
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Disabling ABS..any thoughts?

I run a C-5 Z06 at MSR Houston on a regular basis and have been plagued by very inconsistent brake feel and activation of ABS. I was curious if anyone who tracks their car or races has tried to run with the ABS fuse pulled? Thanks!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Scavone
I run a C-5 Z06 at MSR Houston on a regular basis and have been plagued by very inconsistent brake feel and activation of ABS. I was curious if anyone who tracks their car or races has tried to run with the ABS fuse pulled? Thanks!

Not me...just wouldn't consider it. ABS bin berry berry gout to me
Old 04-25-2007, 08:51 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me tell you from my own experience that you dont want to do that.I think the brake bias is done with the computer, some one correct me if I am wrong. I co-drove a zo6 in an enduro with no abs and it was not fun. One more thing you might want to consider. The abs will keep you from flat spoting your tires unless you get sideways, and if that happens the abs is the least of your worries.

Last edited by vette6aut0x; 04-25-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:52 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I used to flat spot tires in a car without ABS. $$$$
I would try to figure out whats up with ABS and fix it. Any codes?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:07 PM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont
Old 04-25-2007, 09:08 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well if you hit wet grass you will be better off.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vette6aut0x
Let me tell you from my own experience that you dont want to do that.I think the brake bias is done with the computer, some one correct me if I am wrong. I co-drove a zo6 in an enduro with no abs and it was not fun. One more thing you might want to consider. The abs will keep you from flat spoting your tires unless you get sideways, and if that happens the abs is the least of your worries.
somewhere around 04' was when they turned the brake bias job over to the computer. which IMHO in not good.

On my 2000 C5 I had the DRM brake bias block and it really help the rears work. based on pad wear and other indicators the rears did their job.

On my 06 Z06 the rears don't do squat, which makes the front pad wear more of an issue. four sets of XP12 worn out on the front and the rear XP08's only wore to less than 50%

GM bring back the manual bias spring!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Charles Scavone
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
I used to flat spot tires in a car without ABS. $$$$
I would try to figure out whats up with ABS and fix it. Any codes?
no codes...just considering options
Old 04-25-2007, 09:42 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

It will still work fine if you dis-able it, but you will likely need to install at least one bias adjuster. It will take a good bit of track testing to get the bias close, but it can be done.

HOWEVER, the factory system is awesome, you should really correct the problem. Even if you have to replace every wheel bearing, track down any damaged/loose wires etc, you'll go faster with it than without.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Charles Scavone
Intermediate

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
It will still work fine if you dis-able it, but you will likely need to install at least one bias adjuster. It will take a good bit of track testing to get the bias close, but it can be done.

HOWEVER, the factory system is awesome, you should really correct the problem. Even if you have to replace every wheel bearing, track down any damaged/loose wires etc, you'll go faster with it than without.
Ya...seems like I will have to start evaluating each of the components in the ABS system to track down the problem. Thanks for the responses!
Old 04-26-2007, 05:21 PM
psycho-mullet
Instructor

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Even if you have to replace every wheel bearing, track down any damaged/loose wires etc, you'll go faster with it than without.
Replace the wheel bearing? I'm having the same problem right now and was curious what everyones thoughts were on no ABS (vipers dont have abs do they?), trying to troubleshoot it. Are the wheel speed sensors attached to the bearings? Just trying to figure out what all I need to look at and why.

(my code says wheel speed sensor, so that seems like a logical place to start )

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:04 PM
RAFTeRACER
Instructor

Originally Posted by John Shiels
well if you hit wet grass you will be better off.
Tie a string to your abs fuse with a tag reading "IN CASE OF WET GRASS PULL" maybe hold it in your teeth. Otherwise fix it and use it.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:23 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

the wheel speed sensor is INSIDE of the wheel bearing, so if you are getting a speed sensor code, you either have a bad sensor, or a bad wire reading it.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:39 PM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulling the fuse - I tried it. Brakes locked up miserably, and the steering was altered negatively.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:28 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=davidfarmer;1559976952]It will still work fine if you dis-able it
With all do respect, I have to disagree with you. It is a handfull in race conditions. The car was always on the vurge of brake lockup because of not being able to controll the bias. Is it worth installing a proportioning valve? Thats up to each person IMHO. I think it is one of the best perfomance tools on the track short of more horsepower.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:46 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vette6aut0x
Yes, pulling the ABS fuse will effect the brake bias.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:36 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pull it all or pull nothing!!!

Rand

Get notified of new replies

To Considering Disabling ABS..any thoughts?

Old 04-27-2007, 04:51 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

At Spring Mountain, they did an exercise with and without the ABS. The ABS clearly out performed the drivers ability to stop the car. This included wet conditions.

I found if you are running with all safety systems on and are using track pads the Abs goes nuts. Run in comp. mode or all off and the Abs is much less intrusive.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:20 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTeRACER
Tie a string to your abs fuse with a tag reading "IN CASE OF WET GRASS PULL" maybe hold it in your teeth. Otherwise fix it and use it.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:54 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
somewhere around 04' was when they turned the brake bias job over to the computer. which IMHO in not good.

On my 06 Z06 the rears don't do squat, which makes the front pad wear more of an issue. four sets of XP12 worn out on the front and the rear XP08's only wore to less than 50%

GM bring back the manual bias spring!
Comparing XP-12’s to XP-8's for wear is apples and oranges. Put a set of 10's all around and you will likely see the traditional 2/3 to 1 from front to rear. Or, put 10”s on the rear if available. Most Vette rears don't do much and the pads do seem to last a long time. I get 4:1 with the PFC all around.

The CPU will do a better bias job than you will do in a lifetime of testing and screwing with it. It has a very sophisticated algorithm and it update that in nano-seconds for the precise condition at that precise moment in time ... manual settings fail by comparison. I have manual in my SRF and would love to have the Vette system!

Quick Reply: Considering Disabling ABS..any thoughts?