Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sub belt - cam lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 04:32 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default sub belt - cam lock

What is the ideal position of the cam lock?
I'm adjusting my sub belts, which determines the position of the cam lock assembly; but I can't find any reference on where exactly it should be....
Old 04-28-2007, 05:14 PM
B-rent
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

mines at my belly button right now
Old 04-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to adjust your belts so that the lap belt portion goes across your hip bones and not above them or you will be spending a lot of time in hospital after a crash. This is much lower than most would think. The cam lock will locate itself....
Old 04-28-2007, 05:57 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Belly button may be too high. Laps need to be low and tight straight accross hip bones. Adjust sub to hold lap in that position which is about midway between belly button and family jewels. You do not want sub tot long or too short to make and angle from hipbone to cam to hipbone. See the Schroth website for install and use instructions they are the pros.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Belly button may be too high. Laps need to be low and tight straight accross hip bones. Adjust sub to hold lap in that position which is about midway between belly button and family jewels. You do not want sub tot long or too short to make and angle from hipbone to cam to hipbone. See the Schroth website for install and use instructions they are the pros.
Larry, I have to agree with this. If you are going to the BMW club event in May talk to Joe Marko. He is the Schroth expert and helped me get my Simpson belts adjusted correctly.

Bill
Old 04-28-2007, 10:29 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I moved my seat up, so my legs are more inclined. Now my lap belts are cutting into my thighs. So my thought was to lengthen the sub belt, to move the cam lock up an inch. But now I'm not so sure.

I wanted to try being more up close to the steering wheel.

It's just a R-PITA to adjust the Kirkey, so I wanted to get it right the first time. I thought I had the seat right, but now with the lap belts cutting me, I'm not so sure.....
Old 04-28-2007, 11:12 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put Simpson 6pt belts in my C6, when I tighten the shoulder belts it pulls the sub belt tighter and digs right into my crotch. Ouch

Must have been designed by a woman

I am 6' tall so I have my seat back pretty far. The sub belt is extended as long as I can make it and still fold it through the buckle securely. If I were shorter and had to have the seat up further I would really be in trouble. My lap belts are across the hips where they should be.

The difference in my C4 is it has a 5 pt (single sub belt) bolted to the floor. that setup is much more comfortable.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:59 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

between your button and most most important part on you hip bones
Old 05-01-2007, 12:46 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by vetracer
I just put Simpson 6pt belts in my C6, when I tighten the shoulder belts it pulls the sub belt tighter and digs right into my crotch. Ouch

Single 5pt is more comfortable until your crash. What 6pt simpson do you have? If it is a T bar or v bar those hurt!. Formula style linking on the shoulders is better becasue they are individual straps and don't squeeze things in a crash. Best is the simpson latchlink that has individual subs that attach to the lapbelt. Scroth has this too called the hybrid. Not only are these last two most comforatble but act the best in a crash to lock up the lapbelt quicker than any other design. The best part of the simpson is that is is like $140 bucks at summit racing. But the lame part is simpson says they do not make 2" lapbelts which work better especially for small guys.

Get notified of new replies

To sub belt - cam lock

Quick Reply: sub belt - cam lock