Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone available to crew May 5; Portland Or?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:19 PM
craig brian johnson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone available to crew May 5; Portland Or?

First race of the season and I'm running behind. The car is an early model C4. It's fast enough, but I haven't raced it since 2004... both of us are probably a little rusty.

I've been too busy with work/life to really get serious about being prepared for this event... and I'm now realizing that I'm going to need some help.

The race schedule is at ICSCC.com The track conficuration will be non-chicane, so the speeds will be right up to about 175 by the end of the front straight... kind of exciting. I wonder if the brakes are still up to it?

1984 C4 2850# with driver, 400ci/Brodix -10 heads, 500rwhp/525rwt, jerico, ... oh, no slicks... that'd be too easy... only old/hard DOT Hoosiers from 2003 instead... (this outa be slippery!) Best lap @ PIR non-chicane 1:12.5

Come along, I'll buy the pizza... it'll be fun.

Last edited by craig brian johnson; 04-30-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would love to help, but will be down at Bowling Green for the ZR-1 event. I saw your car a couple of months ago at PIR during one of the driver training days. Looks good.

Send me a PM on the races later in the year.

Last edited by Jeffvette; 04-30-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:37 PM
B-rent
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Ill see if I can get one of those new $10 airplane tickets
Old 05-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by craig brian johnson
First race of the season .... The car is an early model C4. It's fast enough,
but I haven't raced it since 2004... both of us are probably a little rusty.

The track configuration will be non-chicane, so the speeds will be right
up to about 175 by the end of the front straight... kind of exciting. I
wonder if the brakes are still up to it?

1984 C4 2850# with driver, 400ci/Brodix -10 heads, 500rwhp/525rwt,
jerico, ... oh, no slicks... that'd be too easy... only old/hard DOT
Hoosiers from 2003 instead... (this outa be slippery!) Best lap @ PIR
non-chicane 1:12.5.
How was the weekend?

Old 05-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Best lap @ PIR non-chicane 1:12.5
From the 5/6th results - Fastest Lap: 1:15.944.

Considering the next fastest car turned 1:20.952 and more than half
of the 29 car field were running slower than 1:30, the event must have
seemed a bit like a slalom.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:53 PM
craig brian johnson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for your interest and support. I've had several forum members e-mail about my first race event since 2004 wanting to know "how'd it go?"

Well, I must say that... I was a bit rusty! It took quite awhile to get the car to hustle around the track and still hit all (well most) of the apex's.

Also, I was running on DOT rubber from 2003. The best way to describe it is "it's alot like trying to play basketball in socks." "Yes, you can shoot hoops, but you can't really engauge in a game without sliding and fouling"...

and, Yes. I did hit that wall.

It had been so long since I had raced, the license director required me to run in the Saturday novice race before he'd let me out on the track in the Sunday SPO event... kind of like being sent back to kindergarden.

...and rightly so. It took a while for me to get a clear lap in qualifying, but when the car came up to temp and the track finally cleared up I pushed it a bit. The car ran great. Many of the past glitcheds you Forum members had helped me with previously had been solved: no overheating, the rear gear change kept the RPM's with-in reason, good braking bias (thank you). However, because of the old rubber, there was no "stick", which gave me trouble coming off of T12 and especially in the braking zone at the end of the front straight. I blasted down the front straight anyway, hoping to see what a fast lap might be. Comming up fast on a gaggle of miata's, I passed them track right, but the pack began to spread out as I neared; at the same time the track narrows. I ended up touching 2 wheels in the dirt to finish the pass and then had to get back to track left before I could start the braking zone. Well, it only took like a milisecond for the car to begin to drive me... mostly backwards. I hit the wall and clipped off my left rear corner and then finally stopped somewhere out in the toolies. Needless to say, it wasn't the fast lap that I was after.

The pit crew began to cut and tape together the fenders after the car got pulled back on the tow rig. In the meantime, I dreamed up some lame excuse that the license director bought (he ok'd me for the race) and spoke to my wife (who had called to ask how my qualifying went) and told her that "everything was going great"... "we're just polishing the car a bit"... which she bought also.

So, life was good! The car got strightened and it was back to the Saturday novice race. There were a ton of mazda miata's on track (where do all these things come from?), a couple of 911's and a couple of way too pretty C5's. They used an inverted start... I think it was just to mess with the novices heads. Just before the start, the grid informed us that the track had been oiled from T4 thru T8. Us guys in back talked it over and just decided to hang for a few laps to avoid certain carnage. The start was comical, as it went so slowly. The novice cars barely breaking formation... everyone afraid to pass... just driving two by two, treading lightly for their first ever lap, of thier first ever race over the freshly kitty-littered oil. By lap 2 the guys up front started driving faster and then proceeded to spin out, piling up seeming a half a dozen or so.

I finished, got my license renewed and then had to leave before ever the running the race on Sunday. It seems that my son had broken his leg while pulling some stupid, daredevil stunt. Now. I wonder where he got that from?

Hey Ken, have you got a line on a bumper cover and a left rear fender for me?

Thx all, Craig

Last edited by craig brian johnson; 05-25-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Hey Ken, have you got a line on a bumper cover and a left rear fender for me?
You'd have to read through the thread or contact him to see if it is still
available, but Y-ME is parting out a car that appears to have rear
fenders (but no bumper cover)

There have been some other cars parted in recent months, I'll PM
with further details.

Sorry to hear about the wall incident but it sounds as though it was
not a show-stopper. Hope your son is well on the way to a full recovery.

Looking forward to hearing more about how the car performs in the
future. Fresh rubber, more equal competition and a GF for the lad
ought to enable you to get the most out of the car on a Sunday
soon.

Still curious about your opinion on adding strakes.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust

Get notified of new replies

To anyone available to crew May 5; Portland Or?

Quick Reply: anyone available to crew May 5; Portland Or?