Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Selection for AutoX

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Pad Selection for AutoX

OK, I run a 04 Z06 is SCCA SS and will need to replace the OEM pads soon. I've looked around and I'm not sure what to go with, I think the main choices are the following

PFC Z rated
Hawk HP+
CarbonTech Bobcat
CarbonTech Panther

From what I see the Pather's are too agressive a pad and maybe a better track pad. So I'm curious about people opinions on the other three. I still will drive the car on the street but not a lot, I can handle a bit of dusting not to crazy about squealing though. The mix of street to AutoX is maybe 70/30 respectively. Of COurse I want as much stopping power as possible without replace rotors every 6 months

Thanks
Old 04-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Monks
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Mike,

The Panther Plus is not too aggresive. I have used panther plus for
a few years. I have also used HP+ and they are very good. Paul uses
Cobalt pads and is very happy with them.

Russ

Originally Posted by Dolfan
OK, I run a 04 Z06 is SCCA SS and will need to replace the OEM pads soon. I've looked around and I'm not sure what to go with, I think the main choices are the following

PFC Z rated
Hawk HP+
CarbonTech Bobcat
CarbonTech Panther

From what I see the Pather's are too agressive a pad and maybe a better track pad. So I'm curious about people opinions on the other three. I still will drive the car on the street but not a lot, I can handle a bit of dusting not to crazy about squealing though. The mix of street to AutoX is maybe 70/30 respectively. Of COurse I want as much stopping power as possible without replace rotors every 6 months

Thanks
Old 04-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

I've never heard of Cobalt pads? Who sells these?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:39 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HP+
Stock
PFC-Z rated

These, or a combination of these, are what's most commonly used in national autox cars depending on what the car is doing and what you want it to do. Your set up may require the braking bias to be tweeked, and in stock you can't play with the bias except by pad selection.

Most of the other pads won't have the cold bite required in autox. FWIW

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

PM sent
Old 05-01-2007, 08:53 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,395 Likes on 748 Posts

I've been running the PFC Z-rated pads for the past couple of years, but they're getting harder to get hold of (a couple of forum vendors are the only sources remaining that I know of). I've got a set of Hawk HP+ pads on the shelf at home, but have to run through my last set of Z-rated pads first.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-01-2007, 12:03 PM
JiminVirginia
Pro

I'm using the Hawk HP+.

Positive: good initial bite when warm. I take a few hard stabs at them when pulling up to the start line, and this is enough to warm them up. (Make sure nobody is imediately behind you.) Dust is pretty manageable. Not hard on rotors especially. Not bad for a track day from time to time.

Negative: noisy on the street, except after hard use in an event of some kind, which seems to quiet them down. Also, not a true track pad; you can do better if HPDEs are on your agenda.

All in all, I'd do it again.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:46 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Like HP+ for AutoX but getting something else (prolly try a Carbotech XP10/8 combo for my stock or Nitto 555 tires for HPDE)
Old 05-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Good information here. I especially like the comment about tinkering with the "brake bias" with pad combination. I was just talking about the brake bias this weekend with my co-driver/wife. I'm not sure how to determine how much braking I'm getting front to rear other that the butt-o-meter.

Anyone have ideas on tuning the braking?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:38 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/226679.aspx

Check out evopat's reply.

BTW, I've just had the OE pads on my car (actually, the exact pads the car came on) and I'm happy with them.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:42 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran HP+ on my C4 for 3yrs doing AX with it. Then I got the Z06 and did 1yr of AX with the stock pads. To me the Z06 pads feel just like the HP+ pads. I would stick with the Z06 pads.

Carbotech replaced the Panther with the AX6. That is their dedicated AX pad. Very streetable I'm sure. Dusting not so sure. I would not use the Panther for track use unless it was your first couple of events. I ran my first 3 track events with Z06 pads then changed to Carbotech XP8. Now I'm using XP10/XP8 and will move on to XP12/XP10.

You can get Z06 pads pretty cheap via Gene Culley at GM Parts House. www.gmpartshouse.com.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:17 AM
ibjamin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an old set of Carbotech Super Street F pads from several years ago. They also were know as the Carbotech Browns. Excellent auto-x/street pad. Do a Google on them. They are brand new but I don't auto-x anymore and now have the Wilwood kit.

$80 + shipping if you are interested.

George
Old 05-02-2007, 11:44 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

I used a large variety on the CS then CSP Miata and ended up with Cobalt SMR pads. On the Z06 I tried the OEM and now Hawk HPS. I prefer the HPS so far without the penalty of HP+ noises.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:09 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Running Ferodos on my wifes Z06.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pad Selection for AutoX

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Selection for AutoX