Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Hoosiers

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 08:29 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Default A6 Hoosiers

I running the A6 hoosiers scrubs from a T1 guy.
what pressures should I run?
I want max tire life, not max prefermance.

thanks !!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2007, 09:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

34/33 cold all ending 40-42 hot is what I like. Under inflation will wear the shoulders faster on my car. Car can get a bit loose at higher pressure but it is faster but not as relaxing to drive.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:38 PM
99BlackZ51
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoosier recommends 22f/18r cold with HOT pressures at 36. I don't know if running higher pressures with prolong life, might as well run them at the right pressure and enjoy the grip! If you are more concerned with longevity over performance next time try some r6's or Kuhmo v710's.

Scott
Old 05-06-2007, 09:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

22/18 and you will ride on the rims in a hard corner with sparks! Insufficient camber will kill them also. 22 lb and you will be able to tell me how the rim sounds on asphalt. That has been my experience with a bunch of them and the GY slicks.

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-06-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:12 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 99BlackZ51
Hoosier recommends 22f/18r cold with HOT pressures at 36. I don't know if running higher pressures with prolong life, might as well run them at the right pressure and enjoy the grip! If you are more concerned with longevity over performance next time try some r6's or Kuhmo v710's.
Scott

The T1 guys don't run the R tires, the A6 are what is commonly available. I know with the kumho's, higher pressures = much longer life. I would imagine it's the same.
22f/18r sounds kinda low.......

This is my first time running on Hoosiers, but if I chew them up in a weekend, it'll pay to go back to Kumho.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:16 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by the blur
The T1 guys don't run the R tires, the A6 are what is commonly available. I know with the kumho's, higher pressures = much longer life. I would imagine it's the same.
22f/18r sounds kinda low.......

This is my first time running on Hoosiers, but if I chew them up in a weekend, it'll pay to go back to Kumho.
the low pressure and you will be in tears unless you hit NY Lotto for a few mill. Take one run that low with some shoe polish and do one lap you will see they will roll right over.

When I started with my first GY scrub slicks I was told to start at 25 or 27 but it was way to low. The person that told me didn't know the tire construction was reportedly changed from what I was told. They were not aware of the change.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:24 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

looked on there site and found the following https://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm

left column under tire questions. I also learn I should not have left my new tires in the cold but they look OK with no cracks.

TIRE CARE TIPS
FOR R6 & A6 TIRES

The R6 and A6 have been developed to improve wear and consistency without any sacrifice of performance. In many cases, the performance will even improve over previous models. The new tire models are an evolution in the continuing effort to provide the best tire for racers.

- Tire Break-In Procedure
- Tire Temperature Recommendations
- Chassis Setup Recommendations
- Tire Pressure Recommendations
- Things to Consider

Tire Break-In Procedure
Proper break-in will not affect initial performance but will increase the competitive life of the tire.

The procedure can be broken down into phases.

1st phase: The initial run
2nd phase: The length of the time the tire is allowed to "cure"

The Initial Run Heat Cycle

R6 Roadrace

The first laps for the tire are critical for setting up the durability and competitive life. The first session should consist of no more than 10-15 minutes of running. The early part of the session should be run at an easy pace, with the speed gradually increased until the end of the session. The final lap should be run at the fastest possible speed. The intent is to achieve maximum tire temp on the last lap. At this point the car should be brought in and the tires allowed to cool at a normal rate.

During the initial run-in process, the inflation pressure should be 3-5 psi higher than you would normally use. The best progression would have the driver taking 4-7 laps to accomplish this break-in. Each lap should be approximately 7-10 seconds a lap faster than the previous lap. The goal is to have the tire temp as high as possible on the last lap without "shocking" the tire during the warm up laps. In essence, no wheelspin, late braking, or sliding. The last lap should be at, or very close, the maximum possible.

A6 Autocross

For autocrossing, the A6 does not need the same break in procedure as the R6. The A6 needs a minimal scuff-in session before the first autocross run. This “session” can comprise of simply driving around the event site at minimal speeds on the A6 set of tires. By scrubbing off the newness of the tread (no or minimal shininess remaining) prior to your first competitive run, the A6 tires will be more consistent in handling, grip and responsiveness on the first run. If this is not completed, running on un-scuffed A6 tires on your first run may result in the tires not gripping properly, or feeling like they “skate” over the course surface. You are welcome to run 3 – 5 psi higher when scuffing in a new set of A6’s, but be sure to reset them to the correct operating pressures before your first autocross run. As you compile autocross runs on your new A6’s, they should become more consistent in run times.

"Cure" Time
After completing the initial run phase, the length of time the tire is allowed to set is possibly more important. The barest minimum for this process to be beneficial is 24 hours. (Not "the next day"). Any less than this is a waste of time. The best situation would allow a week before using the tire again.

Proper tire management is a difficult process. To accomplish this almost always requires a second set of wheels. The payoff is greatly increased competitive tire life.

Following the recommended break-in procedure will require a lot of planning to make it work. The benefits to doing it right include greatly increased tire life as well as consistent performance and durability under stress. Please make an effort to educate your team on the importance of this. It can save you a lot of money.

Tire Temperature Recommendations

For best performance the expected temperature range will vary from track to track. Generally, optimum traction will be generated when the pit lane temps show 180-200 degrees for the R6 in Roadrace applications, and 140-150 degrees for the A6 in an Autocross application.

Note: Use of static infra-red pyrometers is an inaccurate method to monitor tire temps.

Chassis Setup Recommendations
For optimum performance the Hoosier P-Metric radial tires require about 3 degrees of camber. There will be a trade off in maximum performance to maximize wear. Generally, 1/2 degrees less than optimum will result in the best compromise for wear and speed. Less than 2.5 degrees can result in excessive wear on the shoulder junction.

The Hoosier tires typically offer better performance with spring/shock rates higher than previous brands you may have run.

Tire Pressure Recommendations For Competition

Traditionally, Hoosier tires have often required higher pressures than other brands. This has changed with the A6/R6.

Roadrace/track applications

Vehicle size
Recommended Hot Pressure
Cold Pressure

1800-2200 lbs.
34-37+
26-31

2200-2600 lbs.
35-38+
27-32

2600-3000 lbs.
37-41+
27-32

Corvette would be below pressures

over 3000 lbs.
38-43+
27-33

+Higher pressures will improve the performance capability but will require a more sensitive feel to take advantage of the increase.

One characteristic of the tires is the tendency to "skate" initially (when inflation pressures are correct). It is important to resist lowering the pressure to attempt to eliminate this feeling. Dropping the pressure too far may improve the "feel" of the tire however it will also lower the performance and increase the wear rate.

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-06-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:57 PM
99BlackZ51
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
22/18 and you will ride on the rims in a hard corner with sparks! Insufficient camber will kill them also. 22 lb and you will be able to tell me how the rim sounds on asphalt. That has been my experience with a bunch of them and the GY slicks.
22f/18r is what the Hoosier guys told us to run two weeks ago at Gingerman and they worked great. When the tire temps were up around 180 the pressures were right at 36 psi like they said they should be. No roll over on the side walls- no sparks- no rims on the asphalt with very hard cornering!. At those pressures you can get 4-5 Hard 20-30 min sessions out of them. My friend used the same A6's last weekend at Blackhawk as he did the week before at G-man with no problems. I am sure higher pressures will help them last longer at the expense of grip, just maintain about a 4 pound difference from front to rear.(depending on balance of car)

I don't know why the info on the website is different but I am just sharing my first hand experience, of course that is with -2.5 to -3 deg camber, you may need to raise pressures a little with less camber but you will have to check your tire temps to determine how much.

If you were running the A3S05 or earlier Hoosiers Johns comments would be right on target. The construction of the new Hoosiers is very similar to the V710's and the pressures are likewise similar so if you start with your V710 pressures and adjust from there you should be fine. If you do not have a Pyrometer yet that should be your next investment, they can tell you a lot!

Scott
Old 05-07-2007, 06:47 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I run hard but I need to get more than 80 minutes out of 1400 in tires. I expect 4 days of 4 x 20 minute sessions or 320 minutes. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way The price of tires and the price of a decent recording pyrometer is a no brainer and I need to get one instead of my infa red. Then when you done using the pyrometer you can sell it for a decent percentage of the price so what did it really cost.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Default A6 on a roadcourse ?

Hi i know A6 is supposed to be autocross tire and R6 a roadcourse, BUT
if weather is cold (ie 63 F) could a A6 tire be used on a roadcourse ?

ie could it be used and survive or will i burn it up ?

TIA

Rune
Old 05-10-2007, 04:24 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 99BlackZ51

Scott
the R6 and A6 needs much less pressure then the R4s

Hi i know A6 is supposed to be autocross tire and R6 a roadcourse, BUT
if weather is cold (ie 63 F) could a A6 tire be used on a roadcourse ?

ie could it be used and survive or will i burn it up ?

TIA

Rune
"A" compounds are much softer and give better grip the "R"s. So yes many RR use the A compounds for just that reason

or at the SCCA national Runoffs, all the Hoosier clad cars were on A not R compounds.

Hoosier makes three rubber compounds IIRC, "A" the softest, "R" and "Grand AM Cup / VRL" the hardest for endurance racing.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 05-10-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
the R6 and A6 needs much less pressure then the R4s

"A" compounds are much softer and give better grip the "R"s. So yes many RR use the A compounds for just that reason

or at the SCCA national Runoffs, all the Hoosier clad cars were on A not R compounds.

Hoosier makes three rubber compounds IIRC, "A" the softest, "R" and "Grand AM Cup / VRL" the hardest for endurance racing.
thanks, will get mine tomorrow and run in a little heat in them and go racing on monday

Rune
Old 05-13-2007, 09:42 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

I put 350 track miles on A hoosiers this weekend.
pressures 27 cold.
I was playing with the high and low pressures all weekend.
Anything over 35, they will skate around.
They stick very well. I was never at the limit, until it started raining

I put 10 heat cycles on them, 350 miles, and still plently life left, and I brought them used. I'm not joe racer, but I'm pleased with them.

Just as pleased as with Kumho's. Except Victor racers can handle the rain. these hoosiers can't.

Get notified of new replies

To A6 Hoosiers

Quick Reply: A6 Hoosiers