Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advise on communicator

Old 05-07-2007, 02:37 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default advise on communicator

I will be attending an instructors clinic with NASA in a few days, and in anticipation of becoming a DE instructor, I need to purchase a communicator. My experience as a student tells me some work better than others and some may be more bullet proof than others, but I don't know which is what. How about some suggestions about brand, model and best place to purchase? Thanks to all in advance.

Last edited by WNDOPDLR; 05-07-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:50 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Chatterbox.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by freefall
Chatterbox.
X 2!

My Chatterbox has been flawless, except for the frayed ear cover pieces, but that's no big deal since they've been worn a lot and don't make any diffrence.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:00 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

I'll add that I went with the stereo headset in my helmet - works well (would choose that again), but sometimes have a hard time getting a good volume balance with the student's single speaker headset...
Old 05-07-2007, 03:46 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RBL turned me on to this guy's website. He has the best prices I've found. THANKS Rex.

http://mwsbike.com/

Good luck Wally.

BTW, I went with the stereo setup in my helmet and there is no comparision. The sound is superior.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:53 PM
jlucas
Racer

Communicator, extension, and 2 student headsets, I can get those for you.
I also recommend the in helmet kit for your helmet if you don't have another radio system in it.

Last edited by jlucas; 05-07-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:35 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Chatterbox best I've seen.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:34 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 708 Likes on 489 Posts

I like my chatterbox, but would love to find time to make an adapter so that I can use my racing earmolds and my helmets built-in mic. Cramming the little gizmo up in my helmet ever session gets old, but it has performed flawlessly.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:37 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

You should be able to hack the stereo headset wiring harness (or find the right adaptor) to use it - the stereo headset from chatterbox is two speakers and an external mic that mount in the helmet semi-permanently.

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I like my chatterbox, but would love to find time to make an adapter so that I can use my racing earmolds and my helmets built-in mic. Cramming the little gizmo up in my helmet ever session gets old, but it has performed flawlessly.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:44 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,663 Likes on 1,023 Posts

I'll add that I went with the stereo headset in my helmet - works well (would choose that again), but sometimes have a hard time getting a good volume balance with the student's single speaker headset...

I switched from the Nady setup and I'm glad I did. Chatterbox costs more but it's worth every penny
Old 05-09-2007, 09:42 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Thanks everybody. It would seem there is a slight preferance for the Chatterbox! J Lucas has one on the way. His prices were competative and he is one of us Great service by the way.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:51 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 708 Likes on 489 Posts

freefall, if you know where I can get the little round chatterbox fitting (withou buying a spare headset to cut up) let me know. It is round, a bit like an S-video cable, but not quite.

My other concern is that my earbuds will be considerably louder than the students headset, due to the noise reduction and tight seal. Probably not worth the effort in the long run, but something that would sure make instructing more comfortable.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:11 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You should be able to hack the stereo headset wiring harness (or find the right adaptor) to use it - the stereo headset from chatterbox is two speakers and an external mic that mount in the helmet semi-permanently.
Not sure that would work as the impedance may not be correct for an in-car radio system.

I had to make a "magic" box to use my David Clark aviation headset with my FM radio system in the airplane. Similar issue here possibly.

I also put my headset in the helmet by cutting a small slit in the fabric and sliding the earpieces under it. Works great.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:16 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

freefall, if you know where I can get the little round chatterbox fitting (withou buying a spare headset to cut up) let me know. It is round, a bit like an S-video cable, but not quite.

My other concern is that my earbuds will be considerably louder than the students headset, due to the noise reduction and tight seal. Probably not worth the effort in the long run, but something that would sure make instructing more comfortable.
Digi-Key (p307) probably has it but by the time you buy it and the handling for a small order you will be as well off buying the headset for the connector.

Digi Key is super people and they are online so you can search it.

May not work either ... just haven't tried it.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:27 AM
COBrien
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Chatterbox....works great!!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:50 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

I'll look around and see if I can come up with something - will PM you later. Rex is right about possible impedance mismatch - worst case, you could do some impedance matching...but I find myself talking a LOT more than my students anyway.

Yes - digikey, arrow, etc., have countless parts available. It just becomes a challenge to wade through everything.

Get notified of new replies

To advise on communicator

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: advise on communicator