Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abs

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:29 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Abs

Need some help. I am gutting my 03 Zo6 after my little crash at Road Atlanta in March. I have been reading some tech stuf about the Delco/Bosch ABS system. From what I have been reading, I think I can run the ABS independant of the computer as the ABS has its own computer(EBCM). The reason for me wanting to keep the system is to help save those $ 300 tires. I want to use a different engine management system. Can this be done?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You may be able to do it. There are a number of ABS Brake failures that will shut down the Traction Control or Active Handling functions but leave the ABS function active.

Bill
Old 05-08-2007, 10:02 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z06's ABS also handled the front/rear brake biasing and corner entry braking stability (brakes the inside and outside wheels differently). That probably requires a functioning yaw sensor and steering angle sensor as well. It's a bit more complex than the 97-00 ABS units.

If you are building a track only car, removing the ABS and going with a manual brake bias (balance bar) is not that big a negative. I have no ABS on our race car, no power assist either. It takes a little extra effort, but is easier to modulate than the stock power brakes, not to mention no more ice mode, or corner entry understeer.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:10 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I leave my entire wiring system entact, that way the ABS communicates with the PCM, and my DIC tells me if there is a problem. There is a lot of cross talk between the systems, and I would be hesitant to start yanking systems.

You 03' is new enough that it has a top notch PCM. Just get ls1edit or equivalent, and run it. Do what you must, but I like having the OEM system. If you get in a jam, it's easy to get help from any GM tech.

Get notified of new replies

To Abs

Quick Reply: Abs