Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fellas... oem/napa rotors... how "heat checked" is too much? When to trash?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Fellas... oem/napa rotors... how "heat checked" is too much? When to trash?

Installing some fresh calipers right now... I have one set of new napas, one set w/ one VIR HPDE on them, and another w/ 2.

The set w/ 2 has visible heat chracks in the disc surface, while the others do not (of course the new ones don't).

Are they trash?

Common sense says go ahead and install the new ones for this year, then keep the better set as backups and trash the heat checked ones.

How far do you go? The checking doesn't go to the edge of the rotor yet. Any good metric?

Old 05-09-2007, 07:45 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That doesn't look like much - but that first pic is awful, so it's hard to say for sure! I'd probably use those again...what pads are you running?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:32 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

I asked the same question about a month ago:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1673518

Understand that I mainly autocross with just one or two DEs a year. My rotors have been as heat checked as in your 2nd photo for two years with no real change.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look fine to me
Old 05-09-2007, 09:43 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The rotor in the second picture has plenty of life in it. I would run it at least a couple of more days before trashing. Visually check it after each run group session. If you feel concerned, save them for spares and use new. At $30.00 each it is not a big investment in new.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:44 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Wait till the have cracks, then is boat anchor time.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

run them till they look like dry mud in the desert They look good for a few days as long as your driving not me . They are fine for a few days. Check after they cool when you come in and roll the car so crack isn't hidden behind the spoke. Better taking picture in bright light outside so they is no flash
Old 05-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Thanks... I'm installing the brand new ones then keeping the one full set of spares, then these as my secondary front spares.

I had the brakes fully off anyway... dumb not to put the freshest ones on the car.

I'll be running Carbotech XP12/XP10's vs. the Wilwood H's I had before so they should last longer.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:04 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Brian I would run those one more weekend. But then again I always keep a spare set too.
But if you are changing those, make these your spare rotors. After all they are seasoned
Old 05-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Brian I would run those one more weekend. But then again I always keep a spare set too.
But if you are changing those, make these your spare rotors. After all they are seasoned
Yes... they are rather "seasoned". I'm installing the new ones, then keeping the fresher set as my main spares and the pictured fronts as my backup spares. The back pair from the "lighter used" set are grooved and I'll chuck those.

So that make one full spare set and one more set of spare fronts... should be good to go for awhile
Old 05-10-2007, 12:20 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I run mine till they crack the whole way through, I'd barely even call those cracks, they're more like grains or somethin....when you crack a rotor you'll know it, hell I still drove the car around normally on the street for 20-30 miles with a pulled back last week before I had time to swap them.....I just wouldn't track a cracked rotor but its driveable in a jam.

Get notified of new replies

To Fellas... oem/napa rotors... how "heat checked" is too much? When to trash?

Quick Reply: Fellas... oem/napa rotors... how "heat checked" is too much? When to trash?