Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodrige SS lines w/ AN fittings from VBP, anyone else have them? Rear lines tight!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Goodrige SS lines w/ AN fittings from VBP, anyone else have them? Rear lines tight!

Help me put my mind at ease... have the lines off the car in the middle of putting fresh brakes on.

The rears are the same length as OEM (I checked) but they really stretch tight when the suspension is at full droop.

I used to have the goodrige lines w/ banjo bolts, and those had plenty of slack. However, I used to get the SERVICE AH, SERVICE TC, ETC error message. Then... back in '04 I broke one at Viperdays changing brakes in the pits.

So... I went w/ the lines w/ the AN fittings purchased from VBP. Is anyone else running them?

Here's how they now look off the car... any worries? They fronts are completely fine.

Last edited by Cobra4B; 05-10-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 AM
Miguels
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...I have the same ones you have right now and with two events they look fine. they look good after each event
Old 05-10-2007, 01:08 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I know the stock line is a little short. We put a extra bit on our lines because having them too tight will cause a pinch on the end.

Randy
Old 05-10-2007, 10:06 AM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I Just had to replace both front Goodridge ss lines..Both of em folded and kinked the line. Went with Russel lines and they seem to be a little better at keeping the line from kinking. Have not seen the ones that you show...no banjo?

Last edited by JVetthead; 05-10-2007 at 02:07 PM. Reason: went with Russel not earls
Old 05-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Well I know the stock line is a little short. We put a extra bit on our lines because having them too tight will cause a pinch on the end.

Randy
Randy...do you use AN fittings? Would you consider selling a set of rears only? PM if needed. The line is fine when the car is on the ground... it's just that when up in the air it's pulled tight. They've been on the car for almsot 3 years.
Originally Posted by JVetthead
I Just had to replace both front Goodridge ss lines..Both of em folded and kinked the line. Went with Earls lines and they seem to be a little better at keeping the line from kinking. Have not seen the ones that you show...no banjo?
Nope... no banjo... AN fittings. Fitting screws into caliper, then line screws to fitting.

I used to have the "normal" Goodrige lines and those had plenty of slack (used banjos).

Oh... and I fixed the pics.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Miguels
Well...I have the same ones you have right now and with two events they look fine. they look good after each event
Do you notice staht when worknig on wheels/brakes the rears are gery tight?

My fear is that top line breaking one day... is that even possible?

Randy how are the SS lines constructed... I'm assuming the rubber/braided runs all the way down to the line end, and that 3/4" grey "sleeve" is the clap holding it together, then the lighter grey plastic cone thing is there to prevent the line from rubbing on the "sleeve" and chaffing trough ???
Old 05-10-2007, 10:39 AM
fcarga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I've had the SS Mallett lines ("short" rear lines) with AN fittings on my '02 for 4 years and have had no problems. Would not expect any unless you get airborne and then the brakes are the least of your worries! Good luck!
Old 05-10-2007, 11:47 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

after reading the other post that said his "kinked" and my instructor demolishing his z06 because of a GOODRIDGE SS brake line failure at the crimp, and YOU saying they are tight in full suspension travel, I would NOT use them! Return them and get something better made.

I can send you a picture of a 2004 z06, what it looks like AFTER running into a tire barrier at 120mph at VIR, from a brake line failure (Goodridge) if you care to see.

-his failed at the crimp as shown in your picture above.

I have Russel lines, bought from Summit Racing. I have not noticed any problem with them in about 10 months of use, with 4 track days in that time.

Last edited by 2000BSME; 05-10-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:51 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I don't like those bends at all. I had that happen with a set of Russels, and I took them off.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:51 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fcarga
FWIW, I've had the SS Mallett lines ("short" rear lines) with AN fittings on my '02 for 4 years and have had no problems. Would not expect any unless you get airborne and then the brakes are the least of your worries! Good luck!
-I've been airborne before, twice as a matter of fact, and believe me, it is nice to have working brakes when you come down.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:53 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I don't like those bends at all. I had that happen with a set of Russels, and I took them off.
I guess I should make a close inspection of my lines... That is scary.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:08 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

btw, to finish my thought on OEM lines. Assuming they are installed correct, and can't rub anything, they are VERY strong. They can stretch if the need to (SS can't), the tubing is very thick and re-inforced, and even if the pedal is a tiny bit softer with rubber.

I've seen more than a few sets of C5 brake lines installed incorrectly...even did it myself once. Unless it is an all-out World Challenge car, I'm decided that I trust the DOT rubber more than the stainless. Just my $.02 worth.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:27 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I've seen more than a few sets of C5 brake lines installed incorrectly...even did it myself once. Unless it is an all-out World Challenge car, I'm decided that I trust the DOT rubber more than the stainless. Just my $.02 worth.
Wow, that is sure to cause a controversy, as I've seen others promote the exact opposite, saying that SS line are an absolute necessity.

Point taken.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:06 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have StopTech SS lines with banjo fittings. The fronts have plenty of slack even at full droop. The rears don't at full droop, but they don't tug on the fitting either. There is still a bit of slack left. All 4 corners are banjo style, came with their own bolts and crush washers. The ends ahead of the banjo have a plastic collar that stops you from folding/kinking them over. The whole SS line has a teflon coating on it. I've been running them for about 8 events so far. They still look new.

Not sure if it is the same person or not that 2000BSME is referring to. But the person I know had the Goodridge SS lines on his Z06. One front line blew under braking for T1 at VIR. He cleared both tire walls and made a mess out of his car. I stay away from Goodridge. I also carefully inspect my lines every time I swap pads for a track weekend. Then again when I swap street pads back in.

The thought of having no brakes at the end of a long straight has scared me since I started doing this more than most things.

The StopTechs cost about $150 or so for a set. I got them via PFYC.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:33 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Cobra4B
Of course we use the AN fittings. Give me a call and I will be more then happy to sell just the rears.

Randy
Old 05-10-2007, 05:34 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by vms4evr
I have StopTech SS lines with banjo fittings. ...
I also carefully inspect my lines every time I swap pads for a track weekend. Then again when I swap street pads back in.

... The StopTechs cost about $150 or so for a set. I got them via PFYC.
got mine direct from StopTech
Old 05-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Decided to order the longer rears from DRM... thanks Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Goodrige SS lines w/ AN fittings from VBP, anyone else have them? Rear lines tight!

Old 05-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
...and my instructor demolishing his z06 because of a GOODRIDGE SS brake line failure at the crimp,...
Was Bill your instructor that day?
Old 05-11-2007, 09:46 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Decided to order the longer rears from DRM... thanks Randy
You did the right thing!!!

Randy
Old 05-11-2007, 09:50 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Falcon
Was Bill your instructor that day?
Not that day.

Quick Reply: Goodrige SS lines w/ AN fittings from VBP, anyone else have them? Rear lines tight!