Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about switching to Castrol SRF...?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:30 PM
cj68
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thinking about switching to Castrol SRF...?'s

I am an imtermediate/novice driver and plan to be signed off to the advanced run groups some time this season. I plan on doing 5-6 HPDEs this year.

In the past I have used ATE brake fluid and have been religious about having it done at the dealership with a Tech II bleed. The bleed runs me about $90 plus the $20 for 2 cans of fluid. I know that SRF is a lot more expensive and overkill for my ability level, but if I were to have it put in next week with a Tech II bleed, will it last me through October and 6 HPDEs?

I would like to just have the fluid put in and not have to worry about it, and only bleed if the brakes feel soft or fade. I think it would probably be a wash in expense, since I would not have to do as many fluid changes.

Am I dreaming here, or is it possible for me to save myself some time, hassle, and money by stepping up to SRF?

cj
Old 05-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Using the SRF all season should be fine. I spot bleed after each day, a pump or two from each caliper. I would not spend the money for the Tech II. The SRF has such a high wet boil that you could leave it in year round and the spot bleeds would keep it fresh.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:13 PM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Using the SRF all season should be fine. I spot bleed after each day, a pump or two from each caliper. I would not spend the money for the Tech II. The SRF has such a high wet boil that you could leave it in year round and the spot bleeds would keep it fresh.
Thanks. I would do the Tech II the first time just to get all of the old ATE out of the ABS. I would ideally like to only bleed when needed, like if the pedal got soft or I had fade.

Any other opinions on this?

cj
Old 05-10-2007, 02:15 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Get yourself a Motive power bleeder and learn to bleed the calipers yourself.

SRF is by far the best brake fluid.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:22 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

One question on SRF. I've stayed away from it on my Z06 not because of price.

Someone said on the C5 Z06 that GM used magnesium in the master cylinder or some parts to further lighten weight. The story I heard is that Castrol SRF and magnesium do not go well together. This may be total BS but I'd like some verification from folks using it in Z06s. Or if this is just a complete fairy tale

I'll pay for SRF and only have to do a full bleed once a year. That's too easy a choice.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:53 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never heard that one. Same fluid for the year. SRF isn't even sealed from the factory...
Old 05-10-2007, 04:07 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I don't think SRF is worth the money, as the rest of the system can't handle the heat even if the fluid can.

As for the techII bleed, I really think you are wasting your money. In my 10 years of racing C5/C6 Vettes, I've done EXACTLY 1 TechII bleed. It is only necessary if you KNOW you've gotten air into the ABS EBTCM
Old 05-10-2007, 04:48 PM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

I am plenty capable of bleeding brakes as I have done it many times (the 2 man method). I just figured if I could save some time in my track prep, that would be a bonus.

I will look into the motive bleeder.

cj

Last edited by cj68; 05-10-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:50 PM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I don't think SRF is worth the money, as the rest of the system can't handle the heat even if the fluid can.

As for the techII bleed, I really think you are wasting your money. In my 10 years of racing C5/C6 Vettes, I've done EXACTLY 1 TechII bleed. It is only necessary if you KNOW you've gotten air into the ABS EBTCM
Thanks for the info. I am going to stick with the ATE and just do the flush myself.

cj
Old 05-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Good comments above. Does anyone else bleed a little after each track day? I sometimes find a small bubble, and dark colored fluid, just in the first pump and not every time nor each caliper.

I got speedbleeders for mine. My wife went on pedal duty strike.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:11 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

I read a bunch of stuff and determined that I needed to have a TechII flush when I went from DOT to DOT4 ... and so I did ... that was three years ago. (and I had Speedbleeders installed)
Since then I have bled the brakes A/R (before a track event if it's been a while) ... and always after a HPDE day. No issues.
I use Motul 600 RBF. (and I use it in my clutch MC, cycling using the "turkey baster" method ... )
Old 05-10-2007, 05:33 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

It's amazing how much clearer SRF remains compared to either Motul or ATE...the question is how often you want to flush.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:51 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Danny Popp put it in my car.
Not the cheapest chit but I have had absolutly no brake fade etc.

I think it is worth the performance and the peace of mind
Old 05-10-2007, 06:24 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

worth every penny for SRF. I could turn Motul into dark tea in one day. Nothing like it on the market and less work with it. Do you pricing by the ounce not the container.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:42 PM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by John Shiels
worth every penny for SRF. I could turn Motul into dark tea in one day. Nothing like it on the market and less work with it. Do you pricing by the ounce not the container.
Ok, now you guys have me thinking that maybe I should go with the SRF... espescially if it means less work and better performance. If I go that route, should I get an initial Tech II flush done to get the old ATE out of the ABS? How often would I need to change the SRF... once at the beginning of every season?

John, how often do you find that you need to bleed with the SRF?

cj
Old 05-10-2007, 06:56 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cj68
Ok, now you guys have me thinking that maybe I should go with the SRF... espescially if it means less work and better performance. If I go that route, should I get an initial Tech II flush done to get the old ATE out of the ABS? How often would I need to change the SRF... once at the beginning of every season?

John, how often do you find that you need to bleed with the SRF?

cj
not recommended but I went 999 hard track miles NO bleed. Then I blew through the cones at Pocono so I figured it was time Pads were very thin also. Can you think of a more important fluid or part in you car? You usually brake for a turn which may or may not have a barrier of some eort. Even without a turn you don't want to go off track in ruts. So when you need them most and they are not there can you think of something worse? LG got me to try it and it is better than sliced bread!

Walk the pits of a race and look what people in AMLS run. It seemed to me 90% were SRF. I tried a bunch of others and they are not even a distant second. I couldn't find my SRF last year so I ran to local roundy round track supply place and bought Wilwood 610. It was all new and wasn't even close to SRF. When I came home from the event I found 3 liters of SRF tucked away.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:58 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Turning a fluid dark isn't the same thing as boiling it. Also, fluid absorbs moisture as it ages, which hurts the boiling point.

Bottom line, to ME, the OEM brakes simply can't dissipate enough heat to warrant SRF. It is great stuff, but AP600/ATE etc are very good, and more in line with the other components in the car. As a matter of fact, I run the synthetic Valvoline in most of my cars now, and simply do a quickly bleed every event.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about switching to Castrol SRF...?'s

Old 05-10-2007, 08:13 PM
cj68
Pro

I run the synthetic Valvoline in most of my cars now, and simply do a quickly bleed every event.
Really. I have used that stuff in my truck and some of my other cars in the past, simply because it was easy to get at any Advance Auto. Never thought of using it for the track... but it's ok, huh? I would imagine if it is good enough for someone with your experience, then most HPDEers would do fine with it?

cj
Old 05-10-2007, 08:34 PM
99BlackZ51
Racer

Turning a fluid dark isn't the same thing as boiling it. Also, fluid absorbs moisture as it ages, which hurts the boiling point.

Bottom line, to ME, the OEM brakes simply can't dissipate enough heat to warrant SRF. It is great stuff, but AP600/ATE etc are very good, and more in line with the other components in the car. As a matter of fact, I run the synthetic Valvoline in most of my cars now, and simply do a quickly bleed every event.

I agree, SRF is great stuff but a little bit of overkill. I have raced on Wilwood EXP 600 for the last 2.5 years and have had no fluid problems yet. Flush once a year and bleed when changing pads. Of course living between Blackhawk Farms and Road America I end up changing pads almost every session. It is about half the price (per ounce) of the SRF and I like the smaller half liter bottles also.

Scott
Old 05-11-2007, 01:55 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Brake Fluid Comparison Chart from Dougrippie.com web site

Brand Wet Boiling Point Dry Boiling Point
Castrol SRF 518°F 590°F
Motul RBF600 420°F 593°F
AP-600 410°F 572°F
ATE-Super Blue 392°F 536°F
Valvoline 333°F 513°F
Castrol LMA 311°F 446°F
Ford HD 290°F 550°F
Wilwood 570 284°F 570°F
PFC-Z rated 284°F 550°F
AP-550 284°F 550°F
Wilwood EXP is 417 wet from Wilwood site.

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-11-2007 at 01:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about switching to Castrol SRF...?'s