Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NHIS SCCA T-1 National race wrap-up.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 12:06 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default NHIS SCCA T-1 National race wrap-up.......

Last weekend Rhonda and I made the treck to NHIS for the 2nd National of our division. After shearing my wheel studs and putting the car into the sand at Summit Point ( hardest part to stomach was that I was running 4th when it happend ) the car went to Phoenix for repairs and a once over. Joe A. and the guys took care of her and she was ready for NHIS.

Apparently I was ready too!! After settling in on the test day and getting used to the track, as well as getting my confidence in the car back, I dove in Saturday morning with a qual time of 1:10.8, good enough to take the Pole Position in T-1. After the Afternoon qual Pete Kulka was close, but the time stood and I officially was able to say I had attained my first Pole Position in a National race!! Rhonda and I were very happy!

Race day, i'm feeling pretty good. On the green flag I get an OK start, but Pete, gridded directly behind me, gets a great one. He is able to get around me and put some distance between us as I get muddled up in traffic. I still have trouble with starts. After 2 laps Pete is gone, leaving David Sanders and I entrenched in a 20 something lap battle that would be the talk of everyone watching. The red and yellow Vettes put on the best show of the race! Dave and I cleanly swapped positions, pressured each other and simply had a blast racing for 2nd. Little did we know Phil Di-pippo was lurking in the back watching us cook our tires off and by the time Rhonda told me he was running us down, he was on me. I had nothing to hold Phil off and he slipped by me with 2 laps to go. I tried to stay close enough to make a move at the end as he pressured Dave and almost did, but it was not my day. We crossed the line nose to tail, unfortunatley on that lap I was in back.

Overall a good race, it was just hard to swallow grabbing my first Pole position and loosing a podium slot. I recieved a lot of congrats and phone calls from fellow racers about the qual position and that really encourages me. One more thing in the record books for me, and I am still searching for that first National win. Soon, hopefully soon!

Videos will be posted soon on the site, as well as pictures and results! Thanks to all who support Rhonda and I in this, without the morale support it would not be the same! This National stuff is TOUGH!!

Joe

www.over1g-racing.com
Old 05-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Thanks for the post Joe. I look forward to the video.

I, too, have trouble sometimes with the start. I have been getting "schooled" in the fine art of the start and the first few turns by John Norris (in an improved touring BMW), our local racing legend here in SoCal. While I often get the pole, he is good at coming out strong and fast and dive-bombing me into one of the first few corners. I am learning how to fend him off. It is good schooling.

Oli
Old 05-13-2007, 02:28 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Joe....

Nelson Ledges is calling your name...

"joe..joe...come out and race..."

Old 05-13-2007, 06:45 PM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I caught about 3/4 of the race, which was pretty good, and thought everty one ran pretty well. Dipippo got caught up by a "slower" AS Mustang for a couple of laps but once he got by ran 11s pretty consistantly. If he had another lap he prop would have been 2nd.

Good race to all!
Old 05-14-2007, 08:48 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watching you and Sanders was classic, especially when he dove by you in T3 but couldn't make it work and you just went under & around him up the hill, that was just plain .

Congrats on the pole and good luck with the rest of the season.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:29 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Good job Joe! Sorry I could not make it up, I had personal issues to deal with. Call me Joe, I have a solution to the studs and the bearing fasteners we spoke of earlier.
Cheers,
Gary
ghoffman@hardbarusa.com
603-682-8073
Old 05-14-2007, 06:35 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I’m selling that race winning motor for pete kulka. (I’m his crew chief) Read above as pete won NHIS, and walked away from the T1 field.
It’s an LS6 with low miles. We are replacing it now while we have some down time.

You are welcome to see the motor run while it is still in the car. In fact you can drive it since the car is street legal. The car is located in the NY city area.
$2500
Old 05-15-2007, 08:51 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by larryfs
I’m selling that race winning motor for pete kulka. (I’m his crew chief) Read above as pete won NHIS, and walked away from the T1 field.
There were a lot of reasons why that happened. Those brand new Hoosiers Pete had for Sunday didn't hurt either. Joe was running on the same tires he qual'd on.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:17 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by astock165
There were a lot of reasons why that happened. Those brand new Hoosiers Pete had for Sunday didn't hurt either. Joe was running on the same tires he qual'd on.
Yeah, but that's still a good price on a good motor.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:04 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 05-16-2007, 05:03 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

price is neg on motor.
this is a long block, with the heads and valve covers.

Get notified of new replies

To NHIS SCCA T-1 National race wrap-up.......

Quick Reply: NHIS SCCA T-1 National race wrap-up.......